Does anyone here also have a pond?

bobbiwoz

I'm happy to dance with you!
We have a small preformed pond that has 7 gold fish and this summer has been home to 3 frogs!

I'm trying to find out why the water hyacinths and water lettuce that I've bought for the past 2 years don't perform well. After about 5 weeks, they both basically stopped producing new leaves and flowers. This didn't used to happen, and I thought last year was a fluke, but this year was the same.

If anyone has ideas, I'd love to hear them. The fish are healthy, and we have a ultra violet filter that keeps algae controlled, just these floating plants don't do well.

Bobbi:goodvibes

How about it, does anyone here have a fish pond that helps them enjoy their back yard? This year it's been tough, the heat has been oppressive. We've added ice 3 times a day to the pond, and so far, so good, the fish have not been distressed.

I'm thrilled because it seems we have 3 babies that are about 3/4 inch long, and so, will most likely "make it!" There have not been baby survivors for the past 2 summers. I don't feed these goldfish, they make it on whatever nature provides and they've lived for 5-7 years so far. I have a de-icer on the surface in the winter.

Here's a picture from last year, with Murphy, taking a drink!
BG

Murphy is DS & DDiL's dog, we were taking care of him and Irving, their other one last June.

Nice pond, and yard. I was afraid to scan down since I had seen the word frogs, but luckily did not see any in the picture.

We do have a big pond that is off the ground, and that is a made out of cement. We have guppies, kois-(carps), and comet golfishes, along with some others. We are lucky that we do not have to worry about our weather really changing. Our pond is next to our anthirium patch, and the fern that grows around it gives it shade. My husband likes to grow water lilies, and this other water plant in it as well to give the fishies shade, and for decoration.

Cute doggie!

Hi Patsy!

Your pond sounds wonderful, can you post any pictures?

I am so glad that I included a turtle in the exchange. I never knew of your aversion to frogs.

Oh yes frogs-real and pictures :scared1::eek::headache:.

Will try to take pictures. Send me your email address, and will see if I can take any good ones.

We do and I love it :)
It has some goldfish and mosquito fish and this weird cage we built to keep the cranes and stuff that live in the creek nearby from eating the fish :)
My only issue is I always say "this year I wont winterize it in the cold" and always end up doing just that.

We are lucky, nothing has attacked our fish. :goodvibes. We are still happy with our pond!!

We have a pond out at our lot... It does not have any fish in it but has several frogs and a little snake we named Kaa... but we have not seen him/her as of late. :( I wanted to give him an eviction notice but rescinded it when I found out he/she would keep other nasty things away..

I need to figure out how to keep the algae down... I don't like it.. and I have a few areas where I need to cut down the over-growth... I do want the flowers in your photo from Monday.. what is that???

Next spring/summer I want to put out floating planters into the pond (think the ones you see at Disney's flower and garden)...

We have a pond out at our lot... It does not have any fish in it but has several frogs and a little snake we named Kaa... but we have not seen him/her as of late. :( I wanted to give him an eviction notice but rescinded it when I found out he/she would keep other nasty things away..

I need to figure out how to keep the algae down... I don't like it.. and I have a few areas where I need to cut down the over-growth... I do want the flowers in your photo from Monday.. what is that???

Next spring/summer I want to put out floating planters into the pond (think the ones you see at Disney's flower and garden)...
It is a non tropical water lily. It can winter in the water in New Jersey.

As far as algae, we have an ultra violet light. This explains what the light does to algae. The water stays clear, but you get strings of green algae to remove.

http://www.watergarden.org/Pond-Info/Facts-About-UV

Last edited:
We have had trouble with our pond this summer. Water would get behind the liner and the liner would float up. Horrible for fish, and it took workers a few days to correct. Hope we have it right, now!

B67F2862-CAA5-4420-AC42-53A9616B4C79.jpeg

Well, that pond continued to have problems and it was replaced. Yes, we started from scratch!! The new one.

FFF85A8E-83FB-4692-9114-F934DF07706C.jpeg

I buy water lilies from Lowe’s primarily.

I've been pretty interested in ponds lately. Mainly I want to have one with an attached bog that appears to be standing water. This is because I actually want to encourage mosquitos to land there where hungry mosquito-eater fish will be waiting for them. I'm taking multiple approaches to killing these awful swarms of mosquitos around here. I bought a Mosquito Magnet which is doing okay. Also have a bug zapper...not so great. Now I want to lure the rest to standing water with fish that will eat them. Also planning on planting some lemongrass...
I'm getting off topic though. I would like the bog to host the mosquito eater fish, and then maybe the pond below it can have nicer looking fish. This is a project for later on down the road.

So what kind of pond liner were you using that was swelling up from water getting underneath? Do you know why it started happening?

I've been pretty interested in ponds lately. Mainly I want to have one with an attached bog that appears to be standing water. This is because I actually want to encourage mosquitos to land there where hungry mosquito-eater fish will be waiting for them. I'm taking multiple approaches to killing these awful swarms of mosquitos around here. I bought a Mosquito Magnet which is doing okay. Also have a bug zapper...not so great. Now I want to lure the rest to standing water with fish that will eat them. Also planning on planting some lemongrass...
I'm getting off topic though. I would like the bog to host the mosquito eater fish, and then maybe the pond below it can have nicer looking fish. This is a project for later on down the road.

So what kind of pond liner were you using that was swelling up from water getting underneath? Do you know why it started happening?

The mosquito Fish will have a banquet!
We think the reason we had the problem was not because of the liner, it was that the liner was cut too short.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!