Does anyone know about being a Certified Nursing Assistant?

Mickey'snewestfan

DIS Veteran
My son has decided that he would like to be an R.N. I think he has the perfect personality for nursing (hard working, kind, compassionate, super patient and polite), and that it's a good fit for him, however, given his track record in the sciences I think he needs to take the prerequisites slowly.

I have suggested that he look into getting his C.N.A. this year, while he finishes his last year of high school, and then working part time while he completes his nursing prerequisites and an associate's degree. There's a university near us that has an 18 month B.S.N. program for people with an AA and all the prerequisites, so he could continue his studies there.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice? Does this seem like a reasonable plan of action? What is the job outlook like for C.N.A.'s right now?

I think that's an excellent stepping stone to his career. I worked as an aide when I was in nursing school and it gave me a lot of excellent experience.

CNAs are crucial members of the healthcare team. They are overworked and underpaid. It is a physically demanding job and good working conditions often depend on the team you're working with. Good luck to him!

I think it's a good plan. There is always a need for CNAs, for all the reasons listed above: it's hard work and they do not get paid what they are truly worth.
I went the route you are talking about and I highly recommend it. You might want to look at tuition reimbursement opportunities at the nearby medical facilities. A lot of hospitals have these types of programs. I would try to get a CNA position at a hospital with tuition reimbursement to cover his nursing courses. He could get through his education with only the cost of his prereqs.

Slow down on that 18 month track. Generally, those are for role who already have a a degree and and are needing just the nursing classes. Also, it is very fast paced. I would not recommend trying to keep a job while taking that program.

Slow down on that 18 month track. Generally, those are for role who already have a a degree and and are needing just the nursing classes. Also, it is very fast paced. I would not recommend trying to keep a job while taking that program.

Thanks for the advice. I'd agree that he'd have to stop working.

We've got a few local options, including staying at the community college for an ADN and then doing an RN to BSN course, or transferring into the second year of a 4 year BSN program.

It sounds like working as a CNA for a few years is a good idea though. I think he'll be in demand, because he's a strong guy, a football lineman who loves to work out, lots of muscles. I'm sure that there are times when those muscles will come in handy for lifting and transferring patients!

When I was in my ADN program (8 years ago) , one of the pre-reqs was that you had to have a CNA license for admission, so if your son can get it while he's in high school, I say go for it.

Something to note: 2 year ADN programs are usually like 3 years, because of all the pre reqs on top of ymyhe 2 years of RN classes, and 4 year BSNs take more like 5. Also, most university hospitals will pay for you to go back and finish ADN-BSN, and there are tons of online options for that, that you can do part time while working.

My dd took a CNA class last year--her senior year. Unfortunately they weren't able to get certified, man was she bummed!! But that is her plan as well. She wants to get her CNA and work while going to nursing school. She just put in her application at the assisted living facility they did their rotations at...fingers crossed she gets a job there. She'll go on to a CNA program at the local jr college in the fall...or she said she may work a year to save up as much money as possible before starting any kind of school.

When I was in my ADN program (8 years ago) , one of the pre-reqs was that you had to have a CNA license for admission, so if your son can get it while he's in high school, I say go for it.

Something to note: 2 year ADN programs are usually like 3 years, because of all the pre reqs on top of ymyhe 2 years of RN classes, and 4 year BSNs take more like 5. Also, most university hospitals will pay for you to go back and finish ADN-BSN, and there are tons of online options for that, that you can do part time while working.

Same thing with around here. CNA was a pre req, and experience usually helps on a nursing program application.

But actually working as a CNA and going to school- the friends I knew who in college did it usually got shafted. I don't know if it was the area or the facilities that did it but I probably made more money for fewer hours than they worked and I didn't kill my body for doing so. They were often expected to work nights; and that is not conducive to going to school even part time for most of the people I know. Not saying it can't be done but it may not be the ideal source of income you're picturing.

As someone who works with nursing students at a college, it is also extremely difficult to get into those programs. Not trying to dash dreams or anything, but if he struggles with science courses you should also discuss with him (or have a career counselor discuss with him) what he likes about nursing, and help him explore other career paths just in case this doesn't work out exactly how he has planned. The most recent admitted class where I work (for all of our programs... RN -> BSN, veterans preference program, and traditional program combined) needed a 3.85 GPA to even receive an interview. That GPA is higher than students I've worked with in the past who have been admitted to medical school!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter