Does anyone know how to prevent heat rash?

jeleebeene

<font color=9999CC>Has a caffeine-free Stitch!<br>
The last time we were at Disney World (2000) I got a terrible heat rash on the calves of my legs.

This year, I thought if I wore sunscreen, that may help, but it only made the rash happen faster and it was worse. :(

Is there any way to prevent this, short from wearing long pants? Due to my husband's schedule, we are usually only able to go to Florida in June/July/August so it is HOT. I never got sunburned, but I got a heat rash that felt like a sunburn.

Does anyone have a tip for preventing this from occuring in the future?

Hi
My mom always swore by cornstarch baby powder. I got it really bad as a kid and she'd powder me 2-3 times daily. Thankfully I out grew that but...... my DS who's my twin for everything is now getting it under his diaper. I tried the J&J one but found the one made by Desitin works better. It can be hard to find for the longest time I could only get it at Shaws.

Hope this helps.
Chritsy

I too have the same problem. What I finally had to do was not shave my legs while at Disney. I know, not very fashionable, but it worked for me. When I did get the rash, I used 1% Hydrocortisone cream and that helped clear it up quicker. Only 3 days till Disney for me!:D

There is a roll-on stick called "Runner's Aid", I think. Anyhow it is for the exact problem you describe - preventing a rash when you get hot. Runners actually put it on their feet to prevent blisters. It doesn't contain any steroids but does contain lidocaine. I keep sticks of it in all my first aid kits. I'll look for the exact name and location of its purchase tomorrow if you like. It works wonders!

I get the rash every time I go to Florida. It looks like hives - raised, red, burning spots on my hands, forearms, feet and calves. It's gotten worse with each subsequent visit.

Unfortunately, I haven't found anything to prevent the reaction, but a prescription of prednisone quickly relieves the symptoms. I have to get a low dose before each trip, now, even in the cooler months. I start taking the pills as soon as the first spot appears.

Would Benadryl or the generic Diphenhydramine work? It has anti-itch and anti-swelling properties. On the down-side it makes me sleepy.

The Disney rash, I know it well. I suspect pants would prevent this, but I've never been there when it's cool enough to wear them. 2 trips in June, and 1 in Dec, and I got the leg rash every time. I think that exposure to air/sun is what triggers it. My trip in Dec was cooler(around 80), and I wore sandals for the first time at Disney. Voila, stripes of rash where the sandals didn't cover. The best I've been able to manage is to reduce the scope of it. When I've had a midday break each day and layed down, the rash wasn't bad. I used hydrocortisone cream and it does help some. I end up with swollen feet that are very painful. I stopped at Disney first aid the first time I got it. They were quite familiar with it, and offered calamine lotion(I was quite itchy from it). Benadryl may help, you could try taking it at night to minimize the drowsiness factor. My best suggestions are the medicines and getting off you feet for a while everyday, in summer you'll need the break anyways.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter