Does anyone know why Epcot has sponsors for their rides?

The Sum Of All Thrills was sponsored by Raytheon until 2016.

World Showcase has an interesting sponsorship history. When it originally opened only China and Canada had neither a sponsor or operating participant (in other words an outside company running a business within the park such as Arribas Brothers or Landry’s). When Morocco was was added it became the first and only pavilion directly sponsored by a foreign government. Norway was sponsored by a group financed by several companies and the government. It was this group that insisted on the modern day ending for Maelstrom as they didn’t want the ride to be entirely about trolls. The group eventually stopped their sponsorship and we now know what that meant for Maelstrom and the pavilion. Interestingly enough China’s eateries are now run by a company based in Florida who’s only business seems to be running food operations in Epcot’s China pavilion. Not really sure what the story on them is. Possibly a front for the Chinese government?

Anyways, I’ve always been a huge Epcot fanboy. World Showcase sponsorship has always been kind of a murky area as I’m sure there are lots of political and cultural factors to consider. If anyone knows more I’d love to hear it.

Loved Eastern's, 'If You Had Wings' - was actually one of my favorite rides! Also, didn't need a ticket for it!! I still find that song in my head sometimes! :) Was sad when it closed.

Interestingly enough China’s eateries are now run by a company based in Florida
Not unusual, only three of the table service restaurants around the WS are Disney owned and operated.
World Showcase sponsorship has always been kind of a murky area as I’m sure there are lots of political and cultural factors to consider.
Not murky, just business. Another thing of interest that's kind of connected is that not all CMs at WDW, even if they're wearing the standard Disney name tag, are actually Disney CMs, some are 3rd party employees.

There are dozens and dozens of additional, too many to list, Corporate Alliance Partners, aka sponsors.

Not unusual, only three of the table service restaurants around the WS are Disney owned and operated.
Not murky, just business. Another thing of interest that's kind of connected is that not all CMs at WDW, even if they're wearing the standard Disney name tag, are actually Disney CMs, some are 3rd party employees.

There are dozens and dozens of additional, too many to list, Corporate Alliance Partners, aka sponsors.

What was weird to me about China is that the operating participant for the food service locations is a company that seems to have been created just to run those locations. Maybe I’m not digging deep enough, but it doesn’t appear linked to a major operator. In contrast, the other non-Disney food locations are run well-known companies and/or chefs.

And the murky part is that World Showcase is rarely explicit about sponsors. There also seems to be more of a blurring between sponsors and operating participants. They just seem to follow a different protocol. I’m sure part of it is that the governments that contribute money don’t want their taxpayers to know that money is going into a theme park.

Wasn’t Liberty Tree Tavern at one point sponsored by Craisins?
I remember getting free samples in the park.

MetLife used to sponsor Wonders of Life in Epcot. As a MetLife employee we had access to the "secret" lounge and had front of the line access to Body Wars.
Denise

MetLife used to sponsor Wonders of Life in Epcot. As a MetLife employee we had access to the "secret" lounge
I believe you're referring to the not so secret, secret area known as "The Wonders Retreat" at what is usually the Festival Center. It's still used regularly as an event and conference venue.
had front of the line access to Body Wars
HP and GM Employees also have access to the lounges and front of the line privileges at Mission Space and Test Track and until recently Siemens's employees had VIP access to Spaceship Earth and it's lounge.

American Adventure used to be sponsored by American Express and Coke. They also had an employee lounge (recently used by Chase Visa) and special access to the show.

I believe you're referring to the not so secret, secret area known as "The Wonders Retreat" at what is usually the Festival Center. It's still used regularly as an event and conference venue.
HP and GM Employees also have access to the lounges and front of the line privileges at Mission Space and Test Track and until recently Siemens's employees had VIP access to Spaceship Earth and it's lounge.
Yes, I am aware of the other employee lounges at other venues. The lounge in Wonders of Life was accessed through a hidden door with a special key/ticket we were given before each visit. It had several carousel horses for the kids to sit on, clean rest rooms, and free soda machines. There were various photos on the walls taken of celebrities who were in the lounge. I remember one of Michael Jackson. Is this the room you are referring to?
Denise

What was weird to me about China is that the operating participant for the food service locations is a company that seems to have been created just to run those locations. Maybe I’m not digging deep enough, but it doesn’t appear linked to a major operator. In contrast, the other non-Disney food locations are run well-known companies and/or chefs.

Not just China. A similar contractor runs the restaurants in Mexico. They also operate the restaurants at Coronado Springs Resort and the bar at Frontera Cocina (Disney Springs).

I believe the restaurants in Morocco are similarly operated.

I believe that Liberty Tree Tavern is still sponsored by Ocean Spray (the cranberry people).

The lounge in Wonders of Life was accessed through a hidden door with a special key/ticket we were given before each visit. It had several carousel horses for the kids to sit on, clean rest rooms, and free soda machines. There were various photos on the walls taken of celebrities who were in the lounge. I remember one of Michael Jackson. Is this the room you are referring to?
Denise
More than likely it is because there's only one that I know of. It's up one level and overlooks the main floor in that building. The hidden door needing a key-card to open is just a regular door, so if you know where the lounge is, you can walk up or take the elevator. All the stuff you mentioned is gone, it's just three rooms. In it's heyday it was a beautiful venue. It still is very cool, and as I said, it's used all the time so it needs some love, but that's not going to happen any time soon.

American Adventure used to be sponsored by American Express and Coke. They also had an employee lounge (recently used by Chase Visa) and special access to the show.
The American Adventure Parlor being an employee lounge must be before my time because I know it only as a private event venue and the Chase Lounge. But that changed recently and it's no longer available for private parties. I assume you know what it will become?

More than likely it is because there's only one that I know of. It's up one level and overlooks the main floor in that building. The hidden door needing a key-card to open is just a regular door, so if you know where the lounge is, you can walk up or take the elevator. All the stuff you mentioned is gone, it's just three rooms. In it's heyday it was a beautiful venue. It still is very cool, and as I said, it's used all the time so it needs some love, but that's not going to happen any time soon.
No, the lounge was on the main floor and was only one room. It was not a very large room, and had no windows to look out into the building. The one you saw must have been used for something else at the time. This was back in the early 90's.
Denise

Kodak used to sponsor Imagination. When they pulled out, there went the dreamfinder and the wonderful ride.

No, the lounge was on the main floor and was only one room. It was not a very large room, and had no windows to look out into the building. The one you saw must have been used for something else at the time. This was back in the early 90's.
Denise
Oh, I know which room you're talking about. There is a room on the main level as well that probably was the lounge. It's used now for various things during the F&W and F&G festivals.

https://disneyeventgroup.com/sections/disney-park-events/epcot/wonders-retreat/#media-0

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter