Does anyone remember the Kmart deli subs?

Apparently the recipe varied slightly from one region to another.
Our area, Northern Indiana, had bologna, ham, Old Fashioned loaf, lettuce, tomato, onion, American cheese, and mustard on a soft sub roll.
When K Mart left the area we made them at home. :-)

I don't remember subs but I remember eating in their cafeteria area. My mom and I took my grandmother shopping (grocery, mall, or KMart) every Sunday and then out to lunch before coffee and dessert at her house -- we usually ate at a restaurant or something but I remember eating in KMart several times. I do not remember specific food though. This would have been in the late 80's and early 90's in the Baltimore area.

40-50 years ago? That’s the time period we’re referring to. I believe every Kmart has a Little Caesar’s today. Ours does in south Jersey.

oh well, we don't have Kmarts near us anymore ... I am 36 and when I was a kid we had pizza

Never realized Kmart had anything besides popcorn and soda.

Hard to believe I'm not even sure where there is still an operating Kmart in our area anymore -- the company was headquartered here and it seemed they were on every other corner. Now they're either torn down or ugly, abandoned shells.

There was something about the ham in those sandwiches. I use the term loosely, but it sort of had an outer sweet glaze. I remember them well from the mid 70's. I was obsessed with the frozen cokes though!

I can't remember everything that was on them, but I remember LOVING them! Does anyone know what was on them??

They always had bologna and the boiled type ham. The third meat was either Cotto Salami, Dutch loaf, or Pimento loaf as the case may be. They also had American Cheese, Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Pickles mustard or mayo as the case may be. Kmart also sold Ham and cheese sandwiches. These came on a round bun instead of a sub. These were usually at a little deli counter near the front. Our K mart also had a mini cafeteria in the back of the store. And of course the infamous blue light Specials. And when that special was their ham sandwich or sub,

look out deli counter, here they come.

Last edited:
Yep, my Mom loved them. I would remember begging for an Icee, when we would go. And sometimes she'd say yes. But I was only a little tot (born in '75) so I don't remember much else about them.

The good ol’ Days.... mid ‘60s to mid ‘70s when a visit to just about any department store was such an exciting adventure for a kid.

Yep, my Mom loved them. I would remember begging for an Icee, when we would go. And sometimes she'd say yes. But I was only a little tot (born in '75) so I don't remember much else about them.

When I was a kid the big draw about going to Kmart was going to visit JoJo the talking parrot in the pet department. Thinking back now I'm amazed they actually had a parrot in their pet department for years, but I'd imagine he must have been the pet of an employee or they had an employee who made the commitment to take care of the bird. I don't think JoJo was ever actually for sale, but he sure made those boring shopping trips so much fun back then.

I only remember the ham sandwich on a round bun. They had lettuce and mustard and were 4 for a dollar I think. They probably had the subs but I was somewhat picky when younger.

I only remember the ham ones. My mom would buy a whole bunch everytime we went to KMart. I also remember a KMart across from where I worked years ago that had a salad bar. We had an hour for lunch so would walk over there & have a salad for lunch. No KMarts close by anymore.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter