Does anyone remember the Kmart deli subs?

Yes, I remember buying them. They were really low end, but cheap and filling. I never went out of my way to buy them, but if I was already shopping there I'd occasionally buy one for a midnight snack later.

I also remember K-Mart's restaurant, but don't recall if it was cafeteria style or waitress service.

The regular department stores (Strawbridge & Clothier, John Wanamaker, Bamberger's, etc.) all had full service sit down restaurants.

I have a really good memory, and I do not remember Kmart having a deli. We're on the Northwest side of Chicago. BUT having said that, my dad (who was the shopper in family) would have never bought lunchmeat there, not with an Italian deli on every other corner in our neighborhood, so maybe we just never went to the section of the store.. Crazy that I can't picture it. We had 3 Kmarts in the area and I'm just not seeing it.

I remember eating at Walgreens and Woolworth's counters. Walgreen counter had the BEST strawberry pie.

A blast in the past
I remember counter/diners in K- mart / Montgomery Ward /Target/ Walmart and Woolwoths (the best of them)
Now the Walmarts here have SubWay

I have a really good memory, and I do not remember Kmart having a deli. We're on the Northwest side of Chicago. BUT having said that, my dad (who was the shopper in family) would have never bought lunchmeat there, not with an Italian deli on every other corner in our neighborhood, so maybe we just never went to the section of the store.. Crazy that I can't picture it. We had 3 Kmarts in the area and I'm just not seeing it.

At my Kmart, It wasn't a big area or a section of a wall, or at the front of the store the way the food counters are now at Target & Walmart. Ours was an island counter area near the front of the store, near the jewelry counter. No sit down area. Just a rectangular counter island of enclosed, glass refrigerated deli cases where you could see the Kmart subs. One side had the Kmart subs and a deli person making the subs behind the counter. The other side had the Icee machines and soda machines that they'd fill up for you. No self-serve back then.

You can barely it in this pic. In the upper left corner, behind the Camera Shop sign, there are panels of golden yellow, stained glass. Inside and underneath that stained glass was the deli counter, right in the middle of the store. Not off to the side.

f9tbr2vjgbi21.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter