Does anyone think mask wearing might not be required by November?

Childs1stTime2Disney

*A dream is a wish your heart makes*
Please no fighting. Does anyone think mask wearing might not be required by November? If so, why do you think that? I have a trip planned that I would be cancelling if masks are still required.

I think that we will be wearing masks as long as there are still cases and/or we get a vaccine. Until the whole Country has little to no cases, places are going to require a mask. JMO

Yes. Earliest vaccine end of the year, earliest distribution early next year, possible herd immunity sometime between late next year and never.

For timing considerations if were planning a trip, I consider we're about 9 weeks away from Nov. The incubation period for this virus can be up to 2 weeks for symptomatic expression (if symptoms arise). When needed and on average, hospitalization could occur anywhere up to 4 weeks from initial infection. So case count and impact to hospital capacity have a lagging rate from initial infection or onset. These aren't "hard numbers," it's a way to consider why it can take some areas several weeks to come up or down to a stable plateau.

Schools are restarting now, and some schools have delayed to mid-September or even October. I expect spread to some degree once more people, regardless of age, start to congregate again. So I expect numbers to go at least slightly up heading into the fall where schools are in person, and states start to reopen.

These are the factors I think about when considering how long a given area may be in a place of immediate public health risk. 9 weeks seems far too short to have Florida's numbers down to a level that masks won't be required. As others have said, I expect masks to be required through at least 2020, and likely during 2021 until transmission/spread is reliably contained.

Best wishes as you consider your travel plans and what might be best for the health and safety of your family and the families around you.

I have resigned myself to the idea that masks will be the new normal for a long time and have started to build a collection of them as fashion accessories. I am going to be making my husband and me matching t-shirt/mask sets for our 30th anniversary trip in February. He is nice enough that he will just roll his eyes and go with it.

I see masks being required until some time after the flu season is over at a minimum - at least until next Spring. I would not be surprised if masks are still required a year from now. Vaccine availability will play little into any decisions since many may delay to see if there are any unknown ill effects (possible due to the feeling any vaccine is being "pushed" to the masses too early) or choose not to be inoculated at all (based on a poll that 35% of Americans will choose not get the vaccine) which would push the numbers to provide a safe "herd-immunity" threshold well past 2021.

Also keep in mind that Disney is a private company trying to make sure that, from a liability standpoint, they have done everything they can to protect the cast members. Disney might be one of the last places to drop the mask requirement, well after the grocery stores and Targets. If masks are a no-go for the OP, then I would recommend rescheduling - and maybe for next fall.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!