"Does it Even Matter Anymore?": My (long overdue) 1st DLR Visit & TR!

Lucyfan84

Earning My Ears
Basics
When: April 23rd - April 29th 2016 (hence the 'long overdue' part)
Where: DLR featuring the Disneyland Hotel
Who: Me (Yup, a solo trip report)
How: Sheer force of will
Why: It was time.

I have lived in Florida my entire life, and have been a card carrying Disney Fanatic since birth. I know that's a shocker of a statement to post on this forum.

This amazing first visit to DLR wasn't meant to be a solo one. My Mother was planned to join me, but life happens, and she was unable to fly due to illness. I was beyond disappointed since my mother is amazing and I have such vivid memories growing up, going to WDW with her, and I wanted her to be with me the first time I visited the motherland. She had been twice before, back in the early to mid-60s, and hasn't returned since then. Yeah, so I was convinced to go solo, and I'm very glad I did even though I think I missed something by going alone.

However, having been to WDW countless times solo, the challenge of going at this solo didn't even phase me.

Pre-Planning

This trip has been in the works since Disneyland's 50th. Yeah, that didn't happen. Who knew lack of money could be such an obstacle in traveling? Cue a better job and a few years of saving and my dreams were in reach. Just my luck, Disneyland would be in the middle of it's 60th! YAY! Awesome timing.

Having been an avid listener to the Disneyland Show, I felt confident in my ability to plan the trip. I knew where I wanted to eat, and what were my must-dos. Booked plane tickets in November of 2015, and booked my hotel, BW Park Vue Inn. Now I just needed to watch the clock tick by.

Problem with having so much time is that I began to obsess over the trip. I know, how uncommon.

Long story short, I decided to change the hotel since I figured this was my first time, and I should go all out. Well, couple that feeling with a spring discount for the DLH, and, before I knew it, I was booked.

Sorry for the wall of text. I'm not even sure if this TR is needed being so many months since I got back, but life happens, and I finally got a moment to begin this report.

The majority of this TR will focus not only on my 1st time, but also the view point of a lifelong WDW fan. Both topics have been discussed at length in various other amazing TRs, so I may be retreading ground here, but hopefully someone will find this interesting and/or entertaining...hopefully.

Coming up...
Day 1: From Work To Paradise.

Day 1: From Work to Paradise; or, I've Been Awake For How Long?

I work in the hotel industry and fill in if/when a co-worker misses a shift. Well, my flight was due to depart early Saturday morning from Tampa International. No problem, i had Friday off. Oh, if only. Co-worker's child gets sick, which i get, so I must work overnight Friday, which starts at 11pm.

So, i left work at four, grabbed my things at home, and was off to the airport.

The best thing ever about flying from the east coast to the west is always the early flights. No line at security in the pre-dawn hours, and i arrive at my destination by noon. Today was no exception.

Boarded my morning Delta flight at 6:40, and off to Atlanta for my two hour layover.

Note: I am a six-foot, four-inch tall man that weight north of 300 lbs. I am a good flyer, always have been, but, being on the tall side, hate the lack of legroom, and if the person in front of me reclines, things go off the rails. Yes, they have a right to do so, but compassion please. No one likes being on the plane, let's all get along. Anyway, point is, Delta Comfort + is amazing. Worth the extra money for having my knees not even touch the seat in front of me. Flying domestic has been changed for me for the rest of eternity!

Beautiful morning at the ATL Delta Terminal. Breakfast of McDs biscuit and coffee, and my downloaded Dis episodes, and the two hours flew by, and I boarded the flight to SNA!

Excitement being what it is, not even my tired state get me to sleep. I was tired, exhausted, but i was going to Disneyland. Life was still good!:cool1:

Landed, retrieved luggage, and got myself an Uber, and before long, at 12:54pm...

Check-in was about a twenty minute wait, but it went by quickly because i spent the entire time trying to figure out how to get these home without breaking the bank or getting arrested.

If i EVER find these puppies on eBay, you better believe a loan will be taken out and my couch we be in the trash before the minute is over. Since I have checked off the top item on my bucket list, owning one of these is now #1. They Shall Be Mine!

Got room keys, and go to scout out the location. Adventure Tower, 3rd floor, overlooking the pool, or, more specific, the side of Trader Sam's. Amazing room. Amazing staff. Best decision i made for this trip was deciding to stay here.

Aside: Yes, i know it's an older building, and so many rooms in the tower with only 2 elevators, but by the next morning, i had figured out to add about five minutes to my time in order to compensate for the slow/packed elevators. Only negative about an otherwise amazing hotel.

Then it was time to explore...

DLH Adventure Tower = best location anywhere! Close to Trader Sam's, restaurants, and access to DTD.

I made it twenty feet into DTD before i realized i really wanted to see The Jungle Book which was starting in five minutes at the AMC. Saw movie (Obviously great as anyone knows by now) and enjoyed a bucket of popcorn. (No dieting on vacation plus first thing eaten since ATL).

Dinner consisted on Jazz Kitchen counter service. One of the best shrimp Po-Boys i've had outside of NOLA. Obviously, for good reasons. Also, I became addicted to the beignets. Got some every evening when walking back from the parks. However, i do take it as a sign of awesomeness on my part that by the third day the CMs were on a first-name basis with me. My doctor would be mortified, i wore it as a badge of honor.

Back to the room, and, at 6:30pm, on Saturday night, i went to bed.

And, to answer the question posted up top: I had been awake since 3pm Friday EST, so it totaled up to 30.5 hrs. No wonder i slept so soundly through the night.

Up Next:
Day 2: What's With these Weather?; or, Why Did They Put The Astro Orbiter There?

Yes, it matters! I may be doing a solo trip myself next year so looking forward to reading more.

I'm following! I've done a solo trip to DLR (stayed at DLH as well) and will be doing another this upcoming February. I've also done a solo trip to WDW a couple of years ago. I love reading trip reports from solo travelers. I'm anxious to hear what you have to say about my favorite park (it better be good! hee hee).

I'm following! I've done a solo trip to DLR (stayed at DLH as well) and will be doing another this upcoming February. I've also done a solo trip to WDW a couple of years ago. I love reading trip reports from solo travelers. I'm anxious to hear what you have to say about my favorite park (it better be good! hee hee).

Spoiler Alert: It is VERY good! :earsboy:

I'm following too! Don't know if I'll ever get a solo trip but I like reading about them. :)

Thanks for the report.
I am going to Disneyland for the 1st time in July on way to Aulani. Sooo excited after so many
WDW visits. We are staying at the Grand Californian on points as with Aulani.

Looking forward to hearing the comparisons.
I agree Economy Comfort is amazing and a must do.
Have you ever flown Jet blue extra room seats?? ARe they same as delta if so?
Thanks
Kerri

Looking forward to hearing the rest. Planning a trip myself. Glad to hear that you had no regrets changing hotels. Tell me more....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter