Does it make me look cheap if I ask my relatives to pay something towards the second bedroom?

LeeBWeiss

Earning My Ears
We have relatives joining us this fall at Saratoga Springs and will need a 2-Bedroom, as opposed to our usual 1-Bedroom.
I was thinking of asking for $100 or $125 per night for them to stay in the 2nd bedroom as that's less than what they would pay for a Value resort.
Does this sound fair?
Thanks

Not sure what the background is like.... did you decide together you were gonna go and share a room or did you invite them etc but if its the former then I would absolutely expect them to pay for half the accommodations. Why should you/they think they deserve a free vacation?

We have relatives joining us this fall at Saratoga Springs and will need a 2-Bedroom, as opposed to our usual 1-Bedroom.
I was thinking of asking for $100 or $125 per night for them to stay in the 2nd bedroom as that's less than what they would pay for a Value resort.
Does this sound fair?
Thanks
What we regard as “fair” doesn’t matter. What your relative thinks is all that matters.

Personally, I never ask my brothers and sister to share the cost of the villa if I use my points. If they offer, I tell them to buy me a good meal while we are there and we can call it even.

Did you ask them to join you? If so, it could look to them as a gift. If you planned the trip together, then they should know it is costing you more than if they didn't join you. I would at least have the dues on the extra points covered. Just beware, many posts on this site indicate that family often drop out at the last minute sticking you with 'wasted' points.

Agree that it depends on how the trip came up. If you invited them to come along with no prior mention of payment, you will probably catch them off guard asking for $100+ per night.

When we've hosted people in the past, it was always with the promise of a free room. But if they insisted on paying in some way, we'd let them pick up the tab on groceries or a couple nice meals during the trip.

Right or wrong, people don't really understand DVC or timeshares. Most don't realize that spending extra points for guests means you have less to use in the future. But depending on interactions leading up to the trip, you'll have to decide if there are any negative implications to the relationship by asking for several hundred dollars in return.

Does this sound fair?
Thanks
Yes, but, you should’ve mentioned it when you initially invited them IMO

At this point, especially if they’ve already booked airfare, it’s putting them on the spot

I could see this causing a rift

I’d like to think they would volunteer to cover your meals a few nights to thank you or reciprocate and invite you on a get away

Did you ask them to join you? If so, it could look to them as a gift. If you planned the trip together, then they should know it is costing you more than if they didn't join you. I would at least have the dues on the extra points covered. Just beware, many posts on this site indicate that family often drop out at the last minute sticking you with 'wasted' points.
That happened to me. My in-laws crapped out on me at 30 days, leaving me with points in holding.

That happened to me. My in-laws crapped out on me at 30 days, leaving me with points in holding.
Yikes most of us don’t need another strike against their in laws

I’d be sorely tempted to tell them fine, consider the now in holding points as their very merry Christmas/birthday, whatever presents for the next several years.

On one of my wife and my trips a couple years ago, our Niece-in-law was in Georgia, and drove down to join us for the weekend, and we let her use the pullout in our 1-bedroom for a night.
Ever since then, she has been looking forward to going with us again, and bringing our Nephew, with her. She called last night and said they were both putting in for vacation in September, and would love to spend a few days at WDW with us.
They don’t know how DVC works, but they know we get “discounts” with our DVC, AP, TiW, and Chase Disney Visa cards.
I will probably wait for them to ask about “splitting” the hotel with us before giving them a price.

If you decide to ask them to pay you may want to start by explaining how the points work. My brother doesn't seem to understand how the whole thing works. He asked if his son's family of 4 could go. I think some people believe it is like a second home, you own it and can use it as much as you want without paying anything else, or like a hotel, and can cancel the night before without a problem.

We invite family all the time and they know they don't have to pay, but they chip in in other ways.

I just reread your post above mine. I would ask for payment. They seem to be expecting you to pay if they are staying with you.

On one of my wife and my trips a couple years ago, our Niece-in-law was in Georgia, and drove down to join us for the weekend, and we let her use the pullout in our 1-bedroom for a night.
Ever since then, she has been looking forward to going with us again, and bringing our Nephew, with her. She called last night and said they were both putting in for vacation in September, and would love to spend a few days at WDW with us.
They don’t know how DVC works, but they know we get “discounts” with our DVC, AP, TiW, and Chase Disney Visa cards.
I will probably wait for them to ask about “splitting” the hotel with us before giving them a price.
Give them the phone number for Disney Reservation Center. Suggest they consider booking a value resort.

How did she know you were headed to WDW? Was there any hint to joining you again on this trip at that time?

Yikes most of us don’t need another strike against their in laws

I’d be sorely tempted to tell them fine, consider the now in holding points as their very merry Christmas/birthday, whatever presents for the next several years.
It was a mistake. They thought I had until 30 days to cancel (like any normal person would think) instead of 31. They did wait until the last minute which was a pain but everything turned out ok.

Does this sound fair?
Thanks
My family and friends know I can't afford to foot the bill for their room. I make it clear up front that if we go together, they would be responsible for splitting the maintenance fees for the points we use. They understand. I know lots of folks on this board just invite family and friends and make the accommodations a gift, but I can't afford that. By paying for part of the maintenance fees they are still getting an incredible bargain on a deluxe accommodation. It all depends on your circumstances.

You are not cheap at all. You are asking them to help cover the additional cost you are incurring to include them in your room. You are giving them a great deal. If they object they can book their own room at standard cash rates

In this case OP I would present it like "I can help you with finding lodging if you want OR you can stay in DVC with us in a second room provided you pay X amount per night" It's possible too that they may only want to tour with you at WDW versus staying in the exact same place as you in a second room.

If you aren't up front about it all and they interpret it as staying with you in DVC in the second room and they don't offer up money towards the DVC room then that would come off like you're covering that costs. Don't make it be where you resent that you're covering the whole cost if that's not what you really want to do.

If in the past you’ve offered it as an open-ended invitation I could see how asking them to pay would be awkward.

But if your niece-in-law and nephew are the ones planning this trip, I think it’s reasonable to ask them to cover the cost of dues on the extra points or otherwise pitch in.

No matter what I think it’s good to be upfront about everyone’s expectations and budget. :)

Since it seems it was their idea I would just say that you don't have enough points to cover their accommodations but you could rent the additional points needed. You could tell her what the going rate is per point, how many points are needed and see if she is ok with the cost...just an idea...

Will your price be different with them in the room? Will you be renting a bigger place to accommodate them, or will they simply be sleeping in your living room like they did before? If it's the former, then I would ask for some $$ to cover your extra expenses. If it's the latter, which you allowed before, then I would ask them to buy me a couple of dinners and leave it at that. It doesn't seem right to me to charge someone for something that you'd pay 100% for without them.

Does this sound fair?
Thanks
Not cheapo at all...the relatives get to experience the DVC resort, something they either couldn't do or would pay a premium to do so. Only caveat is the scenario. Recently bought into DVC myself for 2 reasons. 1 - inflation hedge for future vacations. 2 - ability to repay my parents for ALL of their many free DVC trips over the year! I won't be charging them but def. considered charging other friends/family to help split expenses. win-win

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!