Does it make me look cheap if I ask my relatives to pay something towards the second bedroom?

The way I'd calculate is to take total points and divide by how many people are staying in the room, for example (though my MIL and FIL share ownership of one of our DVC contracts so they get 100 points a year so doing math below just as an example):

We have a 2BR with DH, DS, myself and MIL and FIL....it is 313 points for our trip so divide by the 5 of us is 62.6 per person so MIL and FIL would be using 125.2 points. Then figure what you'd want to charge them per point....going rental rates around $16pp or annual dues around $6-7pp or some other figure. I'd say $7pp is a good number. So for our trip, that would be $97.38 a night for MIL and FIL (9 night stay). So $100 a night for the second bedroom isn't a bad number. If they will be in living room on pull-out, I'd probably go less.

Right or wrong, people don't really understand DVC or timeshares. Most don't realize that spending extra points for guests means you have less to use in the future. But depending on interactions leading up to the trip, you'll have to decide if there are any negative implications to the relationship by asking for several hundred dollars in return.

This! My sister in-law invited her boyfriend and his son on our family trip without asking (she and my MIL and FIL were already coming) which bumped up our need from two studios to a two bedroom. I wish I would have spoken up at the time and used the opportunity to explain the “cost” of changing the accommodation and made some sort of arrangement but we didn’t. Lesson learned.

This! My sister in-law invited her boyfriend and his son on our family trip without asking (she and my MIL and FIL were already coming) which bumped up our need from two studios to a two bedroom. I wish I would have spoken up at the time and used the opportunity to explain the “cost” of changing the accommodation and made some sort of arrangement but we didn’t. Lesson learned.
Worth noting? The total points for TWO Studios tend to be LOWER than the points for a 2BR (at least at BRV). You might want to stick with Two Studios, if you can get 'em....?

On one of my wife and my trips a couple years ago, our Niece-in-law was in Georgia, and drove down to join us for the weekend, and we let her use the pullout in our 1-bedroom for a night.
Ever since then, she has been looking forward to going with us again, and bringing our Nephew, with her. She called last night and said they were both putting in for vacation in September, and would love to spend a few days at WDW with us.
They don’t know how DVC works, but they know we get “discounts” with our DVC, AP, TiW, and Chase Disney Visa cards.
I will probably wait for them to ask about “splitting” the hotel with us before giving them a price.

Are you sure they will ask? Are these the relatives that are coming with you later this year as posted in your original post. Let them know that with two extra people, you'd need to get larger accommodations at a higher cost and see what she says...

Worth noting? The total points for TWO Studios tend to be LOWER than the points for a 2BR (at least at BRV). You might want to stick with Two Studios, if you can get 'em....?
Oh I know they are less, that’s what we planned for. But we went from having 6 people to 8. I wasn’t sharing a studio with her boyfriend and son and wasn’t going to make my MIL and FIL so we did the two bedroom at BLT to give them the living room and a third bathroom.

Superman1011
2 - ability to repay my parents for ALL of their many free DVC trips over the year! I won't be charging them

LOVE THIS !

It all depends on how close I was to the relatives. I still feel like every points had a value to it. I wouldn't go as far to say x dollars a point, but a nice meal or buying snacks for the room etc.

I always make it clear to my siblings that if I use points for them I expect them to pay me. It helps that they all understand how DVC works, so they know that what I ask for is less than they would pay to get a room. Same with my friends. They also have DVC points, so we try to keep things pretty even on an annual basis. But if we ever need to book a room for each other for a trip we won't be on, we will pay. With the way maintenance fees keep increasing we are at $10/pt to cover those plus initial cost of the point.

I've never expected money for the points BUT over the years, I've noticed we've spent an awful lot of extra money when guests come. We end up footing the bill for the rental car in a larger size. We stock the room with snacks, alcohol, beverages. We have TIW, so the meal extras get charged to us - most guests pay their way but it doesn't always work out - even with the dining plan, the gratuity comes back to the room charge. We usually have glow toys and things for the children and it's hard to go for ice cream, pop corn or drinks an not offer to get something for everyone. (naturally this does not apply to my own children). Even the tolls to pick up people at the airport add up. Sometimes I just feel bad for the sticker shock that the uninitiated face - I try to prepare all with the menus and what not but it takes the cold hard reality for most of them. We have one delightful set of friends that is fantastic about both the costs and up fro doing anything but their children are out of this world to handle anyway I digress. Whatever you do OP, do it it early and be sure it is enough that you don't have regrets but not so much there are hard feelings.

I still enjoy bringing friends and family but I do notice the increase in cost.

It depends on your original conversation with them. Only you know what was said.

Don’t wait until they bring it up if you are expecting payment, because it may never come up. Be upfront. It’s not greedy. But expecting them to offer is a bad idea.

Ask them to pay. Annual dues don’t pay for themself. Only let them go if they are celebrating 40th anniversary or more.

If you can afford to treat then do it !
When we have done this the others treat for some meals.
It all works out !

Dont let people back you into a corner and feel bad about asking for money. People cant just invite themselves on trips. I would tell her upfront its going to cost so they can change plans for vacation if need be.

It was a mistake. They thought I had until 30 days to cancel (like any normal person would think) instead of 31. They did wait until the last minute which was a pain but everything turned out ok.
we invited DWs dad to go to VGC last year. I had a 1 BR booked originally, but was able to score a 2BR as well, so I cancelled the 1BR. He cancelled on us 30 days out, so we ended up with a 2BR for me, DW and DDs (5 and 2). Since we had the room, and it was mother's day timeframe, I surprised DW by having her mom fly in last minute. I truly made lemonade out of lemons. :-)

I would expect good manners/basic awareness would result in guests picking up multiple meals, etc. along the way (not insignificant at WDW) on an unprompted basis. That’s how it has always worked with my in-laws. Beyond that though, personally I wouldn’t be comfortable asking for money for the rooms. Not the “vibe” I want hanging over everything. That’s a personal choice though. Others may differ...

I should add that nice, sit down dinners at Disney Springs, etc. are always a big part of our trips. So the opportunity to feel “paid back” is there for us...

That happened to me. My in-laws crapped out on me at 30 days, leaving me with points in holding.
That to me is ungrateful of the in-laws. You were nice enough to invite and include them and to cancel tells me that they have no regard for the financial burden and implication of accepting, then backing out. That would irritate me, in-laws, friends, whomever.>:(

That to me is ungrateful of the in-laws. You were nice enough to invite and include them and to cancel tells me that they have no regard for the financial burden and implication of accepting, then backing out. That would irritate me, in-laws, friends, whomever.>:(
Like I said, they *thought* they were cancelling within the correct time period. Unfortunately, they were off by a day.

When we invite friends/significant others along on our trips we don't ask/expect them to pay for the DVC stay. IN years past when our kids brought friends/girlfriends/boyfriends we pay for meals if they are with us but if they are out in the parks doing their own thing....they will pay. We also have them pay airfare and we can get the military park passes so we get those for our guests but they pay. We have also booked studios for our kids with their friends or bf/gfs. We are doing just that on a future trip.

OK - been following.... and as an answer to the original question?

YES.

All of this depends on what you offered.

Did you say "free"? Then that's what it is.
Did you say "let's share costs"? Then that's what it is.
Are you unsure? Then that's what you have.

VERY sorry if you got nailed.... but we tend to be very clear about this sort of thing with our own children :(.

If "Are you unsure? Then that's what you have." ? Be the gracious person. I've done this.... it's hard, but I've learned from it. In my case? I've taken anything that I did WRONG, and used that data in the future :(.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter