Does Jet Blue have a policy for overweight people?

maslex

DIS Veteran
We've flown with Southwest a couple times before and I know of their policy of overweight/obese people having to pay for an extra seat. Even though I fit into this category, I never had to buy the extra seat. Thankfully. We leave on Jet Blue in 3 weeks and I've been looking on their website but can't find any info on this policy. Does anyone know?

Hubby says that there are 3 seats to a row. I plan on sitting with both my teenaged boys and hubby will sit in another seat. So I really don't see a problem but I'd like to know ahead of time for sure.

The OP has stated that her plus her 2 sons, which equals 3 people, plan on using 3 seats. There are only 3 seats in a row, and if she sits with her two sons, there would be no extra seat. She is saying that she will not be using an extra seat. Her question is will she have to pay for one anyway?

JetBlue has the roomiest standard coach seats in the trade. If you fit into a regular movie theater seat, you'll be fine.

My understanding is you have to fit in the seat with the armrests down or purchase another ticket. It does not matter who is next to you. You should call customer service to get the official policy about if the second seat is refundable if the plane is not full.

I am very pooh sized and just flew JetBlue in April. I asked for a seatbelt extender when I got to the gate and they had it at my seat ready for me when I boarded. I sat in the middle seat between my 2 kids, the armrests came down around me but barely so I left the one with my tv controls up. The flight attendants never checked once to see if they were both down. Had I been traveling alone though I would have purchased the extra seat because I definitely would be encroaching on another person.

Just flew them Friday night- sat next to my 10 y/o- I fit with little room to spare, would have felt a little tight with both arm rests down they had no problem with the armrest being up even during take off and landing

JetBlue has the roomiest standard coach seats in the trade. If you fit into a regular movie theater seat, you'll be fine.

This isn't correct. JetBlue's seat width ranges from 17.8 to 18 inches, which is the standard for coach seats on US airlines. It is true that the seats are not as wide on WN, where they are only 17 inches.

OP - you might find this brochure useful:

http://issuu.com/naafa/docs/naafa_t...issuu.com/v/light/layout.xml&showFlipBtn=true

JetBlue does require passengers to buy two seats if they cannot fit in one. No refunds if the plane is not full.

Don't worry about it. I am pooh sized and DH is too. We flew to WDW on Jet blue in early May. We had no problem with the seats. We had three across with my DS sitting with us. I found the seat very comfortable and did not have the arm rests down during the entire trip. I could have put the armrests down but it would have been tight. The flight attendants never checked or said anything. I was much more comfortable on Jet Blue than on Delta. Have a great time.

This isn't correct. JetBlue's seat width ranges from 17.8 to 18 inches, which is the standard for coach seats on US airlines. It is true that the seats are not as wide on WN, where they are only 17 inches.

OP - you might find this brochure useful:

http://issuu.com/naafa/docs/naafa_t...issuu.com/v/light/layout.xml&showFlipBtn=true

JetBlue does require passengers to buy two seats if they cannot fit in one. No refunds if the plane is not full.

Weird. I wonder why they feel so much roomier.

Every time I've ever flown Jet Blue, I've had no issues. They are the best seats, in my opinion. Most of you say you're pooh shaped. I've been known to be Ursula shaped(big bottom) lol :rotfl2:

My husband and I have never had a problem. Even if it was just two of you and you were flying in a row of three. I find it is easiest to sit at the window and just raise the arm rest between you and your companion.

The OP has stated that her plus her 2 sons, which equals 3 people, plan on using 3 seats. There are only 3 seats in a row, and if she sits with her two sons, there would be no extra seat. She is saying that she will not be using an extra seat. Her question is will she have to pay for one anyway?

standard answer: if the arm rest between two seats CANNOT Be pushed all the way down, she will be required to purchase a second seat and one of her kids will be moved to another location. she will not be paying twice as much for one seat.. she will be purchasing, and entitled to occupy, two seats.

same as if the people next to her in the row are NOT close friends or relatives.

if you spill over and infringe upon the other seat's space, you will be required to pay extra and the person assigned that seat will be moved.

You should have no problem. I only fly JetBlue and I am a size 24/26 carrying most of my weight in my hips. I've never needed a seatbelt extender and have yet to have a flight attendant check to see if both arm rests go down. I could understand that happening if you were sitting next to strangers, but since you are sitting with your sons, it should not be a problem at all.
I've sat in both the "extra space" seats and regular seats and either choice is fine. The restrooms are also okay for bigger people.
Have a great flight! : )

My understanding is you have to fit in the seat with the armrests down or purchase another ticket. It does not matter who is next to you. You should call customer service to get the official policy about if the second seat is refundable if the plane is not full.

That is my understanding as well. I visit WDW with a Pooh sized GF.

I have never seen so many "skinnies" flip out over an airline seat before. I have never flown Jet Blue, but have flown many other airlines. And yes, while the blanket policy is that you may need to purchase a second seat, they are not going to enforce it unless someone complains. If you were flying solo, then I'd maybe suggest buying the seat (and most will refund that if not full). However, you are flying with family and if they complain about seat encroachment you can disown them. The blanket policy is only there to cover their behinds.

Oh yeah, if and when I do purchase the second seat, any "skinny" that comes over that armrest is going to get an earful!

I have never seen so many "skinnies" flip out over an airline seat before. I have never flown Jet Blue, but have flown many other airlines. And yes, while the blanket policy is that you may need to purchase a second seat, they are not going to enforce it unless someone complains. If you were flying solo, then I'd maybe suggest buying the seat (and most will refund that if not full). However, you are flying with family and if they complain about seat encroachment you can disown them. The blanket policy is only there to cover their behinds.

Oh yeah, if and when I do purchase the second seat, any "skinny" that comes over that armrest is going to get an earful!

You're the only one "flipping out". The policies are there for the comfort and safety of everyone. If you don't fit in a standard seat you should be prepared to buy a second or upgrade. DH doesn't fit in a standard seat as he is too tall and all leg. We always upgrade to extra legroom seats. Its factored into our travel budget.

And btw I can hardly be described as a skinny minnie. I fit in my airline seat but could stand to lose a few pounds.

Airline staff might not look closely every step of the way to ensure you buy a second seat if you don't fit in one seat, but if the flight is full, it is possible for you to be "bumped" where you would not receive "compensation".

At that last minute there would not be any extra seats you could change your mind and buy a second one of on the spot.

And airlines are notorious for moving seats. What happens if your seats get moved and you aren't next to your family anymore?

And airlines are notorious for moving seats. What happens if your seats get moved and you aren't next to your family anymore?
Southwest's policy requires persons who would occupy more than one seat to purchase two seats just to cover this situation.

Other airlines may require that someone complaining about a larger person next to him accept any other empty seat on the plane with or without a required purchase by the larger person of the the vacated seat next to him.

JetBlue Airways doesn't mind taking a more straightforward stance. Spokesperson Alison Eshelman said its policy "requires" larger customers who need an additional seat for their own comfort to buy one in advance. If they do not, and the crew cannot accommodate them, they will be required to buy the seat in any case, with no refunds. (However, Eshelman noted, truthfully, that JetBlue does offer its passengers a little more wiggle room with its larger-than-average seat width on board the airline's A320 aircraft.)

From: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26158641/ns/travel-travel_tips/t/how-airlines-deal-customers-size/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!