• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Does National Ever Run Out of Cars?

dtuleya

DIS Veteran
We have a full sized booked (NOT Emerald Aisle) with National.. Did anyone ever get to the full sized aisle and find no cars there? If so, what happened? Will they call to the other side of the airport to find out if they have a suitable car for you there? This is our first time renting a car, so I have no previous experience to go on. I was told when confirming my reservation that they ALWAYS the size vehicle you booked available by a customer service rep. I'm a little doubtful of that since I've heard of people waiting for suitable vehicles. TIA!

What time are you arriving? I've heard of them running out of cars late at night. When we arrived on Saturday May 4 at 2:15pm and dropped off Friday at 5:00pm, there were plenty of cars in the full size aisle.

We did EA flying in on a Sat. am in September. There were only 2 cars available for EA members (identical white Malibus--what a tough decision to make) I noticed that the counter people were all sitting on the curb, waiting to get cars, but everytime they would clean one, someone who was EA would take it. Not sure how long they had to wait to get the cars.

We will be arriving on a Friday morning at 10:00 AM. I guess this is plus for us. What do they do if they run out of cars....complimentary upgrade to a better class?

We aren't using EA, I'm asking specifically about the full-sized aisle. When we check in (I am a member of EA, just wanted a guaranteed full sized this time) don't we have the more of a right to get a car (from the full sized aisle) than the people who booked EA? I thought you were only guaranteed a mid-sized when using the EA. So, if there are full sized cars on the full sized aisle, and that is what I have booked, shouldn't I have first dibs on those cars over people who booked through EA?

Sorry, this is all new to me. Just want to have my ducks (or mice) in a row.

We were there 3 weeks ago and there was hardly nothing full size or better in EA and the full size lot where we did find something was not much better. We took advantage of a 1-way out of Fla. special and drove the car back to New England. I wonder if they are cleaning out their lots in Fla. and may soon have a glut of new cars there.

A few years ago, before I had an Emerald card, they were out of full size and I got a free upgrade to a caddy :)

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping someone had gotten an "upgrade" experience. I just don't want to get stuck with something other than a full sized car. My hubby is 6'3" and my boys are both really tall, so we don't want to be cramped in a smaller car.

I always book full size with EA. Last December they did not have a full size in the EA, so I went over to the full size aisle and took an Olds Intrigue with no problem. My reservation said "full size OR your choice at Emerald Aisle".

I am a member of EA, just wanted a guaranteed full sized this time) don't we have the more of a right to get a car (from the full sized aisle) than the people who booked EA? I thought you were only guaranteed a mid-sized when using the EA.

When you book EA, you still choose your car class and pay accordingly. at the time of booking, I usually choose Full Size, so, therefore, am guaranteed a full size the same as someone booking full size through the counter.

The difference comes at the time of arrival. When I book Full Size, using the Counter, I go to the Full Size Aisle, where there will be nothing but full size, and this is where I get my car.

If I booked full size, EA, then I go to the EA and can have my choice of any car on the Aisle, even if it is an upgrade.
(Last time I got an Isuzu Trooper with 427 miles on it).

Since I booked, and paid for, a full size car, I am supposed to be guaranteed that car no matter which way I booked it--counter or Emerald Aisle.

Originally posted by dtuleya

We aren't using EA, I'm asking specifically about the full-sized aisle. When we check in (I am a member of EA, just wanted a guaranteed full sized this time) don't we have the more of a right to get a car (from the full sized aisle) than the people who booked EA? I thought you were only guaranteed a mid-sized when using the EA. So, if there are full sized cars on the full sized aisle, and that is what I have booked, shouldn't I have first dibs on those cars over people who booked through EA?

If you book on the National website you are allowed to chose Intermediate or Full size when you are using Emerald Aisle. What you reserve is what you are guaranteed. If you reserve Fullsize with Emerald Aisle Service and find that there are no Full size cars in the Emerald Aisle you can go over to the full size aisle and take one from there. As another poster mentioned the reservation says you are guaranteed full size or choice from Emerald Aisle. Plus, if you use your Emerald Club number you can reserve a full size many times at the same price as an Intermediate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter