Does the dining plan save you money?

For me the convenience factor is less about method of payment and more about not having to think twice about prices. Without the DP I'm definitely less likely to order the more expensive things on the menu, even if its what i really want. I hesitate to buy my kids snacks anytime they ask and I wouldn't order them fancy milkshakes with their meals. DP eliminates those hesitations. We order whatever we want without any consideration for price, and there is a certain "convenience" to that that is worth paying for IMO.

This is exactly why we always buy the dining plan. I love character breakfasts - if I knew I was going to be presented with a bill for $100 for the 2 of us to eat breakfast at Chef Mickeys that I then had to lay my actual credit card down for and pay - I would probably book them, and then end up cancelling last minute because I just couldn't justify the cost. I also love to order steak in restaurants, but if I knew I was going going to be responsible for that bill at the end of the meal, I would end up ordering the cheapest thing. I love that I just buy a "package" from Disney - that way I don't have to think about the fact that I just paid almost $500/night for a hotel room and that I paid $50 for a breakfast buffet - all I have to think about is that I paid $4000 for a "Vacation Package."

I'm sure there are tons of people here who will bash me for this kind of thinking, but when I am on vacation, this is how I want to think about it.

I'm sure there are tons of people here who will bash me for this kind of thinking, but when I am on vacation, this is how I want to think about it.

I would hope no one would bash you for vacationing how you want to vacation!! I certainly won't! :) I really wanted the dining plan to work for us but I just couldn't justify the extra cost plus the Canadian exchange rate so we're buying gift cards ahead of time to pay for our food so it's prepaid. Everyone has their own way that works for them!

Trying to justify the "cost" of the DP is like trying to justify the cost of deluxe vs value resorts. Some people see value in the extra amenities, better location etc while others don't. We all have different vacation styles and priorities so I don't believe there is a right or wrong answer to the great dining plan debate.

Trying to justify the "cost" of the DP is like trying to justify the cost of deluxe vs value resorts. Some people see value in the extra amenities, better location etc while others don't. We all have different vacation styles and priorities so I don't believe there is a right or wrong answer to the great dining plan debate.

YOU ARE SO RIGHT! A few years ago, before I had kids and planning a vacation, we would stay at a crap 60 dollar a night room, because we were just sleeping there. Now, we swim, we nap, we watch tv, we need to be closer to where we want to be, so paying 500 a night doesn't seem so crazy if you can walk to MK! As does 116 a night for DDP, when you have 3 40 dollar meals it's already justified. And snacks, and desserts, also apps as I understand it? Seems good to me! With children it's absolutely worth it, 40 a kid they are paid for in 2 character meals!

However, I am now thinking I need to figure out the calculated savings with the TiW and make sure. If we would break even, I would do it for convenience factor. So wish me luck! I have a month to decide before ADRs!

I would hope no one would bash you for vacationing how you want to vacation!! I certainly won't! :) I really wanted the dining plan to work for us but I just couldn't justify the extra cost plus the Canadian exchange rate so we're buying gift cards ahead of time to pay for our food so it's prepaid. Everyone has their own way that works for them!

Thanks. There are a lot of people on these boards that are not particularly nice to people who like the dining plan for the convenience and prepaid aspect. They often think people like me, who like to use it are wasting money.

Thanks. There are a lot of people on these boards that are not particularly nice to people who like the dining plan for the convenience and prepaid aspect. They often think people like me, who like to use it are wasting money.

You know what?

I'm in your gang all the way...I didn't previously think it was a good fit & dh now says he's not going without the plan
I even 'waste' $'s on our accommodation according to some & I do not care.

Op-it's the perpetual question without a definitive answer...
It's entirely personal choice.
What works for one shall not work for another.

I agree with you guys I love the dining plan without it I wouldn't do character meals or splurge on certain dining experiences and that's what vacationing is all about. I do crunch the numbers and try selecting the restaurants I want to experience that make sense financially as well but I do also like the fact that we can eat what we want without having to think about the money aspect at the time. I also like that I pay it off in advance as well.

On our recent trip we ate whatever we wanted. We had a combination of quick service and table service, including a buffet and a character meal, and we still didn't spend even close to what the dining plan would have cost. I planned ahead and brought gift cards that we paid the expensive meals with so there was still no sticker shock at the end. That was more relaxing and convenient to us than trying to track credits. We also drive and were able to have some snacks and breakfast things in our room so that makes a difference as well. It really depends on the eating habits of the family.

The past couple of years, we have saved a couple hundred bucks each time. This year we didn't use it as wisely and saved a little over $3. I was surprised we came out ahead at all.

There is no DVC discount. You will pay the 2018 prices which are a bit more than you have there. You'll probably still be way under though as you are in the sweet spot with those 2 kids.

Our kids is why the math always works for us (at least until they all hit disney adult). My kids are hobbits and eat a ton. Feeding them three meals and 3 snacks a day would never happen for under $39.99 each OOP.

I get the convenience factor completely. It's paid for when we get there. We will be doing signatures and character meals, using the calculator we will save money. OOP I know we would limit ourselves by looking at prices and having that bottom line in mind. Still I never feel obligated to order the most expensive items or even appetizers/desserts each time. DP makes it feel more all inclusive. For our upcoming stay we have 7 nights DxDP, with one night RO at the end. I have only 2 meals a day spread out over the entire stay that include characters, signatures, and HDDR.
We did the same thing, and it was going smoothly (we were actually saving a lot of money sharing the DxDP) until 2/3 of us got sick, and we had 15 TS credits left at the end of our trip

Well, this video just confirmed that the dining plan is probably not worth it for us. I have tried to run some numbers and it never seems like we would come out ahead.

I can see the desire to have it pre-paid. However tracking credits does not seem convenient at all. Ordering food you do not really want does not seem convenient either.

I think the only time I would consider it is if I was doing a split stay. Then I would only book it for one portion of the trip.

If you know it will cost you more and still want it (for the pre-paid factor, convenience, whatever), have at it.

Well, this video just confirmed that the dining plan is probably not worth it for us. I have tried to run some numbers and it never seems like we would come out ahead.

I can see the desire to have it pre-paid. However tracking credits does not seem convenient at all. Ordering food you do not really want does not seem convenient either.

I think the only time I would consider it is if I was doing a split stay. Then I would only book it for one portion of the trip.

If you know it will cost you more and still want it (for the pre-paid factor, convenience, whatever), have at it.

But thats the point, it doesnt always cost more. For those of us with kids, those of us who prefer expensive dining options and prefer expensive character meals or buffets, it IS worth it. I ran the numbers and for DH and I, even when we both order the most expensive choice on the menu (which we often do), it wasnt worth it. We wouldn't need the snacks and would basically break even. However, when we added in our kids, with how cheap their dining is on the plan, it made up for the fact that ours wasnt worth it. We have several character meals and buffets scheduled, and those prices for kids are almost equal to what they are for adults. In our situation, that made our kids basically eat for free the last half of our trip. We initially were going to buy gift cards and pay as we went, but when i ran the numbers for 2 kids who can EAT, its more than worth it for the DDP for our family.

We're looking at doing the DxDP during our split stay that we are going to F&W. Planning on making those snacks count!

We have found that adding DxDP to one of our two rooms allows us to 'plus' our vacation experience while paying less than we would out of pocket. We definitely spend less on food without the dining plan, but with the plan we enjoy dining experiences that we wouldn't book when paying full price. We all vacation differently. Explore the options and book what sounds best for your family!

I'm looking into renting DVC, and was asking myself about whether to get the Dining Plan (especially because we'll probably buy breakfast groceries). My twins are picky eaters, which one would think would make it NOT worthwhile, however I've found that eating at the buffets is a winner - my picky kids can eat whatever pleases them!

I'm on Weight Watchers (at goal), so I don't plan on pigging out to get my money's worth, but I might also splurge on wine, etc. I'm so torn right now!!

Our next trip is with Dd1 who has not been for years..
She is desperate and I mean desperate to do as many character meals as possible.

on our last day we originally had a pre park opening for be our guest & I was going to surprise Dd once inside mk with brekkie at Cinderella royal table.
However; as she is closely monitoring all my plans & selecting her meals-
I had to tell her; she cried & it was magical without even being there!!

The cost for the buffets alone (we are also attending hoop dee doo) is a no brainer.

I am considering purchase the CS dining plan for one night only in June, with the major intent on savings focused on using the mug for 4-5 days. With two
13-year-old girls it might possibly save some money. I am really going to have to run the numbers further though.

I like the plan, and tend to come out slightly ahead on it.
I don't factor in the cost of the mugs because nobody in my group drinks pop anymore (yes, pop, I'm from the midwest!)
We tour from RD to fireworks. One burns through a lot of calories walking those 10+ miles every day and eating 2 meals and 2 snacks (or one snack and a coffee/tea) doesn't seem like a lot of food.
Since it includes only 2 meals a day, sharing meals can still be the norm and you eat 3 smaller meals--or one big one and 2 small ones.
As mentioned up thread, shorter stay (hence the long days in the parks). Longer stay, short park trips, fewer miles walked, not going to be as hungry.
Do not understand the fire and brimstone raining down for liking the plan for convenience sake. I love coming home to little or no bill. That is why I also like cruises. All paid up front.

I have used the dining plan every time except once. I thought I could save money in the short term bu going oop and I actually spent way more that way! So, the best thing is to try it both ways and compare and see what works for you and the dining style for you and your family. It's not about what is better - it's about what is better for YOU. Find what works best for you and is most cost-efficient and makes you and your family the happiest and then stick with that.

That being said, what I love about the dining plan is, yes, paying in advance, it just makes it so much more convenient for me, knowing that it is taken care of, all my meals, and snacks, and I don't have to worry about paying for them while I am there. I'm the sort that really NEEDS to pay for stuff well in advance because I often struggle with managing money and funds. The best thing for me it to save in advance for my vacation and pay for it as soon as possible. But that's me, that's an issue I have, others don't have that problem, but since I do, I am grateful I can pay for basically everything as soon as possible, pay for my vacation a little at a time, by making payments on the Disney site, and this is what works best for me.

Also, I do enjoy indulging and eating alot on my trips, it's a time to forget about diets and to experiment with lots of different foods, so I always go Deluxe and have a grand old time with apps and desserts and now I can even incorporate more cocktails and drinks. So, while the plan may be too much food for many small children and women, who just don't eat that way haha, if you've got a big appetite or are using this vacation to splurge on food, than it's worth it. You can also get tons of delicious and different sort of snacks and desserts from all the amazing Epcot bakeries as well.

Vacationing this way oop just costs me too much money and the unknown of not knowing how much it will cost me just doesn't work for me, because I am on a limited budget and can't go over, and I hate the stress and worry of that on my vacation. I have figured out how much all my ancillary charges will cost me over a vacation by using the dining plan, so I know how much to budget this way, so it all works well for me, and is why I keep using the dining plan - I like knowing what to expect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!