Does the novelty of AKL wear off?

Tigger in a kilt

DIS Veteran
We stayed for a few days at AKL (club level, Savannah View) last year and it was spectacular. Such a beautiful resort, and I loved waking up early to watch the animals.

I have 2 weeks booked there for next year and I’m having doubts. 3 days was wonderful, but I’m concerned that, for a 2 week vacation, the novelty of giraffes and zebras will wear off and then we are just left with the inconvenience of being stuck so far from everything.

I’m considering moving to the Poly, as I haven’t stayed there before. We are two adults, no kids, some health problems that affect stamina, and no car but are happy to use Uber/Lyft/Minnie Vans.

Am I overthinking this, or will we get sick of the animals and spending all our time on transport? Thanks.

i love AKL. i will always remember the first time i walked into jambo house. it’s breathtaking and still makes my heart feel warm.

i’ve stayed there twice, once for a week and then again as part of a split stay (at AKL for maybe 3 nights). I didn’t get bored on the week-long stay. we spent lots of time watching animals, enjoying the pool, and wandering the beautiful grounds. i also found that although it feels like you’re in another world, it’s not actually that far from anything.

have you spent 2 full weeks at one resort before? i think it’s the perfect amount of time for a split stay. if you like the look of the poly, maybe one week at each resort? if the price difference is significant, you could also do 9 AKL/5 Poly or something?

i love AKL. i will always remember the first time i walked into jambo house. it’s breathtaking and still makes my heart feel warm.

i’ve stayed there twice, once for a week and then again as part of a split stay (at AKL for maybe 3 nights). I didn’t get bored on the week-long stay. we spent lots of time watching animals, enjoying the pool, and wandering the beautiful grounds. i also found that although it feels like you’re in another world, it’s not actually that far from anything.

have you spent 2 full weeks at one resort before? i think it’s the perfect amount of time for a split stay. if you like the look of the poly, maybe one week at each resort? if the price difference is significant, you could also do 9 AKL/5 Poly or something?

I know exactly what you mean, which is why I initially booked it - it’s a stunning resort. Just reading your reply made me smile. Thank you for reminding me why I wanted to stay there in the first place.

We did 4 weeks in WDW last time, at Riverside, AKL, WL and Boardwalk. Moving was a hassle, which put me off a split stay this time, but our trip is very different this time, as is the make up of our party. I should look into a split stay, so I can get my AKL fix and also be able to stay at either Poly or maybe Boardwalk again. Thank you for your help!

For us, 2 weeks at any resort would start to get old. Even a week is starting to push things for me.

Are you staying CL again? The CL routine - while excellent at AKL - can get old as well (same statement could be applied to any CL though).

I love AKL (and AKL CL especially) but I think for us a week would be about enough before I’d be ready for new things.

I suspect you have your reasons for not doing a split, but that’s what we would do. Too much of a good thing can sometimes be a bad thing.

I LOVE AKL, stay there every year for a week and the novelty has not worn off over 10+ years, that said, I could not spend two weeks at any single resort without getting bored with it. I would do a split stay in your circumstance. Also, AKL only feels remote, it is actually more centrally located than the MK resorts when you look at a map. The bus times from AKL to Epcot and DHS were shorter from AKL than they were from The Wilderness Lodge when we stayed at both on the same trip.

For us, 2 weeks at any resort would start to get old. Even a week is starting to push things for me.

Are you staying CL again? The CL routine - while excellent at AKL - can get old as well (same statement could be applied to any CL though).

I love AKL (and AKL CL especially) but I think for us a week would be about enough before I’d be ready for new things.

I suspect you have your reasons for not doing a split, but that’s what we would do. Too much of a good thing can sometimes be a bad thing.

I wasn’t overly impressed with CL at AKL but I do know that we just had a series of unfortunate events that probably won’t happen again. However, because of that, we are not staying CL. If we moved to Boardwalk then we definitely would, as we loved CL there. I would need to look into it at the Poly, but my instinct says no, because I think we need to go to a different building, in which case we wouldn’t use it. Plus. for 2 weeks it definitely would get old.

We moved too much on our last trip, but maybe I do need to think about a split stay. Thank you!

I LOVE AKL, stay there every year for a week and the novelty has not worn off over 10+ years, that said, I could not spend two weeks at any single resort without getting bored with it. I would do a split stay in your circumstance. Also, AKL only feels remote, it is actually more centrally located than the MK resorts when you look at a map. The bus times from AKL to Epcot and DHS were shorter from AKL than they were from The Wilderness Lodge when we stayed at both on the same trip.

It might well be the idea of staying anywhere for 2 weeks that is bothering me. I do partly feel like I want to try a different resort just to experience more. A split stay might work well - I need to think about this.

That’s a very good point about the location. I think you are right that the feeling of remoteness is perception not reality. We will likely do more Epcot and HS than MK, and I would use Minnie Vans to get to MK anyway, so it’s not as remote as I’m thinking.

Thank you!

I wasn’t overly impressed with CL at AKL but I do know that we just had a series of unfortunate events that probably won’t happen again. However, because of that, we are not staying CL. If we moved to Boardwalk then we definitely would, as we loved CL there. I would need to look into it at the Poly, but my instinct says no, because I think we need to go to a different building, in which case we wouldn’t use it. Plus. for 2 weeks it definitely would get old.

We moved too much on our last trip, but maybe I do need to think about a split stay. Thank you!

Good luck deciding. I sort of have the opposite problem as you at the moment.... I have one night booked at AKL for an upcoming stay then moving to Gran Destino. Long story as to why but it makes sense given the context of our trip. BUT, I just know I’m not going to really want to leave AKL after just one night! I feel that way now and I suspect it will be a far worse feeling when there! :-)

Good luck deciding. I sort of have the opposite problem as you at the moment.... I have one night booked at AKL for an upcoming stay then moving to Gran Destino. Long story as to why but it makes sense given the context of our trip. BUT, I just know I’m not going to really want to leave AKL after just one night! I feel that way now and I suspect it will be a far worse feeling when there! :-)

Oh no, that will definitely be hard. Having said that, Gran Destino looks beautiful and I bet you will really enjoy it (assuming they get their power situation fixed)! Thank you again for your help. 😀

When we stay at AKL it’s usually for 10-11 nights. I love staying there & find that I start to recognize the animals that wander by our balcony & look for them, especially if I have done the Wanyama Safari early in my trip and have learned some of the back stories about the animals on ‘our’ savanna. W/ the overlooks staffed with CMs from various African countries I find chatting with them to be enjoyable as well. I prefer the relaxed vibe of the AKL lobby compared to the frenzy of the Poly’s lobby (I stayed at the Poly once.) At AKL I can always find a spot to sit and relax - in the lobby, by the overlooks, by the fireplace, in the rockers by the fire pit, etc..

When we stay at AKL it’s usually for 10-11 nights. I love staying there & find that I start to recognize the animals that wander by our balcony & look for them, especially if I have done the Wanyama Safari early in my trip and have learned some of the back stories about the animals on ‘our’ savanna. W/ the overlooks staffed with CMs from various African countries I find chatting with them to be enjoyable as well. I prefer the relaxed vibe of the AKL lobby compared to the frenzy of the Poly’s lobby (I stayed at the Poly once.) At AKL I can always find a spot to sit and relax - in the lobby, by the overlooks, by the fireplace, in the rockers by the fire pit, etc..

I love this! Thank you so much for your perspective. We didn’t stay long enough to start to recognise the animals, but it’s a great idea to do the safari at the start of our trip.

I agree that AKL is very relaxing, and I do worry that the Poly will be very busy with all the people who visit the resort for dining, the beach, the monorail and just to hang out. AKL is so beautiful. Thank you very much!

I love AKL. And love GF. As you can see by my signature, they never. get. old. Ever. Enjoy your trip and yes, do a split stay for sure.

Thank you! I’m definitely considering a split stay after posting this thread. I think a week sounds like it might work well.

Embarrassingly, despite 4 weeks last year when we never left property, I haven’t been to the Grand Floridian! I took the monorail past it, but that’s it. We are definitely going there on our next trip. 😀

I'm going to echo what others have said here so apologies for that but I think my thing with staying at the same resort for two full weeks would be just growing tired of the same things around for that long. And by that, I don't mean the view of the animals and the savanna. That part would never get old to me but I think I might grow tired of eating at the same places and having the same options and riding the same buses, etc. (And I say that as someone who LOVES Jiko, Boma and Sanaa). I think there's value in just getting yourself into a different atmosphere and enjoying a different area where you might have different dining and entertainment options. Just as an example, we're doing 10 nights at WDW next June, which is a few days longer than usual. We're going to do three nights at Kidani and seven at Boardwalk Villas. I love AKL and I love AK, it's actually my favorite park, but just for the change of pace, theme and having such easy access to all the new stuff (to us) at HS and Epcot, it's worthwhile. Just my two cents. Don't think you can go wrong either way!

When we stay at AKL it’s usually for 10-11 nights. I love staying there & find that I start to recognize the animals that wander by our balcony & look for them, especially if I have done the Wanyama Safari early in my trip and have learned some of the back stories about the animals on ‘our’ savanna.

I have to say, we did the Wanyama Safari several days into our most recent week long stay at AKL and it totally changed our appreciation and understanding of the resort. Prior to that, I took a lot of the animal/savanna part for granted. We had a CM on our Safari who was very passionate and incredibly knowledgeable about the animals. We learned many things that made us appreciate our daily balcony viewing even more. This CM also stopped by our balcony a few times afterwards and we enjoyed a nice brief chat (very random that we happened to be there while he was driving by). It added a special and unique angle to our visit.

This thread is making me really miss AKL. It is such a special place, in my opinion.

Our family would not have an issue with 2 weeks at 1 hotel, but we probably would look into doing a split. But if I had my choice of staying 2 weeks at AKL or POLY, it would definitely be AKL.

I'm going to echo what others have said here so apologies for that but I think my thing with staying at the same resort for two full weeks would be just growing tired of the same things around for that long. And by that, I don't mean the view of the animals and the savanna. That part would never get old to me but I think I might grow tired of eating at the same places and having the same options and riding the same buses, etc. (And I say that as someone who LOVES Jiko, Boma and Sanaa). I think there's value in just getting yourself into a different atmosphere and enjoying a different area where you might have different dining and entertainment options. Just as an example, we're doing 10 nights at WDW next June, which is a few days longer than usual. We're going to do three nights at Kidani and seven at Boardwalk Villas. I love AKL and I love AK, it's actually my favorite park, but just for the change of pace, theme and having such easy access to all the new stuff (to us) at HS and Epcot, it's worthwhile. Just my two cents. Don't think you can go wrong either way!
NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But after 2 weeks, any resort may start feeling repetitive. I'd split it into a week at one resort and a week at another.
I have to say, we did the Wanyama Safari several days into our most recent week long stay at AKL and it totally changed our appreciation and understanding of the resort. Prior to that, I took a lot of the animal/savanna part for granted. We had a CM on our Safari who was very passionate and incredibly knowledgeable about the animals. We learned many things that made us appreciate our daily balcony viewing even more. This CM also stopped by our balcony a few times afterwards and we enjoyed a nice brief chat (very random that we happened to be there while he was driving by). It added a special and unique angle to our visit.

This thread is making me really miss AKL. It is such a special place, in my opinion.
Our family would not have an issue with 2 weeks at 1 hotel, but we probably would look into doing a split. But if I had my choice of staying 2 weeks at AKL or POLY, it would definitely be AKL.

I have been waiting to reply because I have been thinking about what has been said. A huge thank you to everyone for their replies. I think you are right - I am going to call Disney and ask what my options are for doing a split stay (we currently have a package with free dining).

I have my doubts about the Poly, due to how busy it is, but I loved Boardwalk so we might go back there. Whatever hotel we decide, I think the fact that I have so many doubts about AKL means I should look into my other options.

Thank you all for your help!

I think it is interesting that so many people wouldn't like to stay two weeks in one resort, I am the opposite and don't really like to stay less than two weeks.

I think you only really start to properly relax and unwind after a week and two weeks is a great amount of time to really start feeling at home somewhere.

I think it is interesting that so many people wouldn't like to stay two weeks in one resort, I am the opposite and don't really like to stay less than two weeks.

I think you only really start to properly relax and unwind after a week and two weeks is a great amount of time to really start feeling at home somewhere.

What has swayed it for me is the question about whether I really want to eat at Boma and Jiko every night. I know I could also do The Mara or Sana’a, but they both take a little more effort. Certainly for our first couple of days, coming from the U.K., we are up early and tired early, so won’t be wanting to go out of the hotel for dinner. I would rather have the freedom to be at the Boardwalk than tied to AKL, esp as we won’t be doing CL at AKL.

What has swayed it for me is the question about whether I really want to eat at Boma and Jiko every night. I know I could also do The Mara or Sana’a, but they both take a little more effort. Certainly for our first couple of days, coming from the U.K., we are up early and tired early, so won’t be wanting to go out of the hotel for dinner. I would rather have the freedom to be at the Boardwalk than tied to AKL, esp as we won’t be doing CL at AKL.

Oh yeah where ever you stay don’t eat at the same place for dinner on multiple nights.

There are loads of resteraunts everywhere though, so aside from breakfast it is usually easier not to eat in the hotel than eat in it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter