Does this seem sensible?

cheshiregoofy22

DIS Veteran
We booked a free dining BB trip that starts May 28, 2019. We have 9 day PH tix. We are planning on purchasing the Memory Maker. My DSIL would like to go to WDW this fall for a four day weekend - just the two of us, bucket list trip as she's just been diagnosed with pre-Alzheimer's and she's never been to Disney and has always wanted to go (TMI :rolleyes1) When I check the cost for a 9 day PH ticket beginning on May 28th it gives me $579.50. The Memory Maker will be $169 (if paid for in advance). Together, one ticket and the MM is $748.50. An AP for one would be $952.11 including tax. So it would be $372.61 to upgrade one ticket but then the MM would be included so I can save that $169 - so the equivalent of $203.61 to upgrade.

Would it make sense to do that so I may (or may not) be able to get a room discount this fall or some benefit to spending the $203.61 now? There's also the possibility of another BB offer I assume when we stay this May. Is it likely that an AP offer would be a better deal than a BB - considering I'd also only need to buy her park tickets as I'd have the AP?

Seems like a reasonable idea to me but I might be missing something....all help/advice/comments greatly appreciated!! :thanks:

Yes, upgrading your 9 day PH to an AP would cost less than purchasing another 4 day ticket this fall. The room only BB offered now is the same one you can get in May, so you can check to see if your fall dates are included. Room discounts are expected to be few and far between for the first few months after the opening of Star Wars, but AP discounts are possible. Regardless , you would have free parking, Memory Maker, and some dining and merchandise discounts for both trips. I would definitely plan to upgrade during your first trip.

Yes, upgrading your 9 day PH to an AP would cost less than purchasing another 4 day ticket this fall. The room only BB offered now is the same one you can get in May, so you can check to see if your fall dates are included. Room discounts are expected to be few and far between for the first few months after the opening of Star Wars, but AP discounts are possible. Regardless , you would have free parking, Memory Maker, and some dining and merchandise discounts for both trips. I would definitely plan to upgrade during your first trip.

AWESOME! Thank you!!

Another question.....Can I (should I) do the upgrade now or do I wait until I arrive in May?

Another question.....Can I (should I) do the upgrade now or do I wait until I arrive in May?

You can upgrade now if you want. Your AP will not begin until the day you tap your magic band at the first park.

If you upgrade now, they will send you an exchange ticket/voucher that you have to go to guest services to activate your AP. They may have changed things a little since I first activated mine a couple years ago. You may be able to go to a ticket booth now to activate.

Since you have the free dining deal, not sure if you would benefit much to hurry and purchase now. Only benefit would be if you bought now and they raised AP prices before you go down in May.

You can upgrade now if you want. Your AP will not begin until the day you tap your magic band at the first park.

If you upgrade now, they will send you an exchange ticket/voucher that you have to go to guest services to activate your AP. They may have changed things a little since I first activated mine a couple years ago. You may be able to go to a ticket booth now to activate.

Since you have the free dining deal, not sure if you would benefit much to hurry and purchase now. Only benefit would be if you bought now and they raised AP prices before you go down in May.

Thank you! If my kiddos decide they'd like to do a DAH night somewhere, will I be able to get the AP price if I have a "yet to be activated" AP - which might make buying it now a better idea in case an event sells out? :confused3

I don’t think they will let you upgrade one ticket from a free dining package before you arrive. Packages require everyone to have the same tickets. And technically you could cancel the package at any time, so you don’t really “own” the tickets ahead of time like you would when you buy tickets separately. Most times you have to wait until you get there to upgrade a ticket from a package. You should ask on the ticket stickie in the theme park forum for more expert advice.

Something else to add is that you will get merchandise discounts in the park as well as 10% off at some dining locations (which you won’t necessarily need while there for FD but might be nice for your fall trip).

I don’t think they will let you upgrade one ticket from a free dining package before you arrive. Packages require everyone to have the same tickets. And technically you could cancel the package at any time, so you don’t really “own” the tickets ahead of time like you would when you buy tickets separately. Most times you have to wait until you get there to upgrade a ticket from a package. You should ask on the ticket stickie in the theme park forum for more expert advice.

Good point!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!