Does Trader Sam's still have the "forced" souvenir glass purchase?

aboveH20

DIS Veteran
(No one can ever accuse me of having coy and confusing titles!)

When Trader Sam's first opened I read a lot about people being unexpectedly "forced" to buy the glass their drink came in. I need no more mugs, cups, glasses, etc. What's been your recent experience with glasses -- and while I'm on the subject, how have crowds been there recently?

Thanks. :drinking1

I don't think there was ever a forced purchase of a souvenir glass. They may have "forced" guests to consume a drink from the glass, but no one was forced to purchase it.

Forced was too strong of a word probably. I read when people got their bill it included a fairly hefty price for the souvenir glass.

That hasn't been my experience. The souvenir glasses are pretty popular, I wouldn't think they'd have to strong-arm anyone into buying them. You may have some info on this that I don't :)

They never did. You can buy the drink without purchasing the glass, although they will serve it in one. However, you can't buy the glass without the drink. If you want to be proactive, inform the server when you order that you don't wish to purchase the glass, although the standard procedure seems to be the other way around - unless you say you want the glass, they assume you don't wish to purchase it.

If there's a mixup and you are billed for the cup and don't want it, just have them take it off the bill. Nobody has ever literally been forced to buy a cup.

Last edited:

The only one you have to buy the glass with is the Pearl (because it's plastic and they can't reuse it). If you ask for it without the glass as you order they can do it, but it shows up on your receipt as something else plus a shot of Grand Marnier.

For the others, our server has always asked as we cash out if we want to keep any of the glasses.

Hmmmmmmmm. Thank you to all who replied.

So now I'm wondering if

1. I misrememner that people were complaining that the price of the glass appeared on their bills

2. If the policy changed because so many people complained, or

3. If people didn't see the menu note about ordering with or without the glass.

Bottom line, I don't want the glass so it looks like all's well that ends well!

:)

I don't think there was ever a forced purchase of a souvenir glass. They may have "forced" guests to consume a drink from the glass, but no one was forced to purchase it.

Except for the Pearl, yes.

Forced was too strong of a word probably. I read when people got their bill it included a fairly hefty price for the souvenir glass.

Those were people who either ordered the Pearl OR just didn’t complain after. And they would have gone to the desk at the front of the bar to get their clean glass, so if they really didn’t want it they weren’t acting like it.

I’ve never seen a note like that on the menu.

Not tonight -- I just started a good book-- but now I'm curious about what I think I read. Tomorrow I'll go back and see if I can find any of the old threads where people wrote about Trader Sam's and the souvenir glasses.

(No one can ever accuse me of having coy and confusing titles!)

When Trader Sam's first opened I read a lot about people being unexpectedly "forced" to buy the glass their drink came in. I need no more mugs, cups, glasses, etc. What's been your recent experience with glasses -- and while I'm on the subject, how have crowds been there recently?

Thanks. :drinking1

Not true

I've seen people complain about the total bill with a few of those souvenir glasses on it but I've never seen someone complain they were forced to buy it. Just that a couple of drinks ended up being a $100 experience.

That said I don't think you keep the cup it's served in, they serve it in the fun cup and if you want to purchase it you get a new one... so no need to specify at the outset, you get a clean one when you go. Of course you're probably more inclined with a drink in you than before ;)

I would guess what you read was first drunk then sober vacation buyer's remorse.

It's been a couple years, but I think I remember the menu distinctly listing the drinks as 'with out souvenir glass' and 'with souvenir glass' and I know the server specifically asked us.

I've been going there since the week they opened and there never was a policy that you were required to purchase a souvenir mug. Except the pearl, and you didn't even have to get that if you told the server you didn't want it.

I'm just assuming there were some misunderstandings, like maybe they thought they had to buy the mug, but it just isn't the case and never was.

It is true, you don't keep the cup you are served in, they give you a new one in a box when you leave the bar.

Hmmmmmmmm. Thank you to all who replied.

So now I'm wondering if

1. I misrememner that people were complaining that the price of the glass appeared on their bills

2. If the policy changed because so many people complained, or

Bottom line, I don't want the glass so it looks like all's well that ends well!

:)
We went when it first opened (within a few days) and they never "forced" or secretly sold us the glass. It was clear from the day they opened that the drink was one price with and one price without the glass
If folks don't pay attention and complain later then it's on them, not Disney.
And do I think people would not pay attention to what they are ordering/doing and then blame Disney for it later? I sure do. There are terabytes of data on the Internet full of people complaining about things that are ultimately, all on them for not being aware of what they were buying, not on the establishment for being shady.

lol I don't know... I had to "force" them to give me the Nautiliss. Sams was to capacity for the night so we went to the outside bar where they made the drink (sans vessel) then I had to show receipt that I bought it and they went in the back and brought out a new one. its sitting pretty in our garden window

lol I don't know... I had to "force" them to give me the Nautiliss. Sams was to capacity for the night so we went to the outside bar where they made the drink (sans vessel) then I had to show receipt that I bought it and they went in the back and brought out a new one. its sitting pretty in our garden window

I wouldn’t have thought they could make the drink in something that’s not the vessel! I would probably be sad to see how little beverage is actually in it...

I wouldn’t have thought they could make the drink in something that’s not the vessel! I would probably be sad to see how little beverage is actually in it...
Me too. Our first visit to Sam's we sat outside and we had one of the drinks, forget the name today, but it's the one where you have 3 little pots of cinnamon you toss in to make it flame up. Anyway, they served it in the vessel. But no, they never give you that one, to my knowledge, they always give you a boxed one inside. I have mine sitting on the ledge in the kitchen window

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter