Dog experiment ending in October?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnolan

DIS Veteran
I just read in my All Ears newsletter that the dog experiment was ending Oct. 15. Anyone else hear this?

I don't get newsletter or read anything ... what does it say?

"Experiment ends in October" is nothing more than the one year experiment is over. It doesn't say to me the dogs are going anywhere, it could just be changing to policy. Any more details?

I don't get newsletter or read anything ... what does it say?

"Experiment ends in October" is nothing more than the one year experiment is over. It doesn't say to me the dogs are going anywhere, it could just be changing to policy. Any more details?

ALL EARS® HEARS

... from Diane C.: I just spoke with Disney World about a dog-friendly cabin at Fort Wilderness. According to the cast member I spoke to, as of October 15, there are no more dog-friendly hotels or cabins.

EDITOR'S NOTE: As far as we've been able to confirm, Diane is correct. It seems that the trial program that started last October will conclude this October 15, and Walt Disney World will no longer feature dog-friendly rooms at its resorts, with the exception of certain Fort Wilderness campsites, which have always been pet-friendly.

ALL EARS® HEARS

... from Diane C.: I just spoke with Disney World about a dog-friendly cabin at Fort Wilderness. According to the cast member I spoke to, as of October 15, there are no more dog-friendly hotels or cabins.

EDITOR'S NOTE: As far as we've been able to confirm, Diane is correct. It seems that the trial program that started last October will conclude this October 15, and Walt Disney World will no longer feature dog-friendly rooms at its resorts, with the exception of certain Fort Wilderness campsites, which have always been pet-friendly.

Thank you for sharing.

I imagine their legal department finally really mulled the possibilities over...And they've probably learned how much extra cost goes into cleaning up after dogs.

I bet you are right about the costs, and not just the cleanup. I know that my DD refused to stay in a resort that welcomed dogs. WHile she was comfortable that every resort allowed service dogs, my dog disliking DD was not okay staying at a resort that was dog friendly. I am sure she was not the only one.

I imagine their legal department finally really mulled the possibilities over...And they've probably learned how much extra cost goes into cleaning up after dogs.
My guess would be it just wasn’t profitable. I doubt the “legal department” failed to “mull over possibilities” before it was implemented especially considering plenty of other hotel chains have had success with this. My guess is they thought they saw an opportunity b/c so many opted to bring their pets for the storm. However, that’s different from a busy vacation so I’m sure not too many ppl took advantage of the option so it just wasn’t profitable.

My guess would be it just wasn’t profitable. I doubt the “legal department” failed to “mull over possibilities” before it was implemented especially considering plenty of other hotel chains have had success with this. My guess is they thought they saw an opportunity b/c so many opted to bring their pets for the storm. However, that’s different from a busy vacation so I’m sure not too many ppl took advantage of the option so it just wasn’t profitable.

WDW is not the best place to keep a dog in a resort room, and I imagine that logistically is was not ideal. A you said, a hurricane exception is one thing, but traveling with an animal who needs to be cared for during the day is entirely different.

We just got back from a week long stay at POR. We only saw two true pet dogs while there- DS1 saw a golden retriever when he arrived before us and we saw a man walking out in the parking lot with his small dog that looked like a bichon frise the one day we took our car. Other than that we saw two service dogs at the resort- one on the bus coming back one night and the other in the food court, and many more at the parks.

For us personally, the $50 per night charge is pretty high. Even boarding at Best Friends is less than that, and they charge almost twice what our AKC approved boarding/vet facility charges back home. Keeping our dog in our room would have meant having to be back to let her out and feed her, which kind of takes away from the relaxation and spontaneity we like to enjoy on vacation. I'm guessing that the program just wasn't profitable.

I doubt the “legal department” failed to “mull over possibilities” before it was implemented especially considering plenty of other hotel chains have had success with this.
Most hotels don't cater overwhelmingly to families who spend most of their waking hours at theme parks. Most hotels also limit the size of dogs they accept. WDW put no exclusions on size or breed. Combine that with all the kids running around the resorts, and with the lack of responsibility some guests at WDW exhibit...I do think there was an incident waiting to happen that had not been thoroughly considered by legal.

Not saying that that is the only reason why they curtailed the program, but I do suspect that's part of the reason.

Last edited:

I highly doubt WDW's legal team would implement any plan without mulling over every possible scenario first. I am sure they have an entire department of lawyers to make sure they do not have any unnecessary liabilities. So I have a feeling the termination was not for legal reasons. But if we start to see a change in how WDW allows dogs in general, like airlines are now doing because of the puppy/overhead bin incident, that may be for legal liability reasons.

However, I agree that the costs probably outweighed the benefits. Shame for some families, while a blessing for others!

We just got back from a week long stay at POR. We only saw two true pet dogs while there- DS1 saw a golden retriever when he arrived before us and we saw a man walking out in the parking lot with his small dog that looked like a bichon frise the one day we took our car. Other than that we saw two service dogs at the resort- one on the bus coming back one night and the other in the food court, and many more at the parks.

For us personally, the $50 per night charge is pretty high. Even boarding at Best Friends is less than that, and they charge almost twice what our AKC approved boarding/vet facility charges back home. Keeping our dog in our room would have meant having to be back to let her out and feed her, which kind of takes away from the relaxation and spontaneity we like to enjoy on vacation. I'm guessing that the program just wasn't profitable.

It was a moot point for us, because we fly...but I had run the numbers as well. For 35 dollars a night, we get a kennel for over night and doggy daycare during the day, 2 meals a day, etc. I just couldn't see it being a huge money maker for them...

I highly doubt WDW's legal team would implement any plan without mulling over every possible scenario first. I am sure they have an entire department of lawyers to make sure they do not have any unnecessary liabilities. So I have a feeling the termination was not for legal reasons. But if we start to see a change in how WDW allows dogs in general, like airlines are now doing because of the puppy/overhead bin incident, that may be for legal liability reasons.
Well, that is an assumption. I think people do assume that corporations think things out better in advance than they actually often do. Are you old enough to remember "New Coke"? We think, "well, they have lots of money and employees, and potential liability, so they must have very carefully considered everything..." But experience shows that's often not the case. The United puppy incident you mentioned is one example of a corporation's failure to carefully train employees to protect both human & animal safety. The Grand Floridian alligator incident is one Disney example of a failure to consider the potential safety implications of families from all of the world coexisting with native resort wildlife. Having unlimited sizes & breeds of pet dogs at a busy, family-oriented resort was going to eventually result in a guest, probably a child, getting badly bitten. Imo it wasn't a matter of if, but when.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!