>> Dog-Friendly Resorts FAQ <<

If I used the forum for the wrong reason, I apologize. I've been on the DIS for over 15 years and have never offended anyone.

You didn't offend! Not me anyway. I was just seeking clarification on the thread, which Lynne provided.

All good. Have an awesome trip. I love POR! ::yes::::yes::::yes::

We were at YC the end of July, beginning of August and out neighbor had a small dog. I had not read the 1st post in here with their rules they were to follow or I would have called the front desk or gone and spoke with a manager. It barked (or yipped) all day. Not sure what time its human's left for the day and we only heard them one evening around 9 pm. I did not notice a tag on their door either. Now we were not in our room all day long, but we did not do parks this trip so were in and out most of the day and felt really bad for the doggie.

Do you remember which area this was at the YC? None of the cast members wanted to give me an answer when I was booking for my trip last June. When I raised my dog-allergy concern, I was put on a high floor directly above the Stormalong Bay. I was told that "no dogs are near this area". Does this mean that the dogs are kept to the wing closest to the Dolphin? Anyways, I did not see a single dog on YC property during the entire trip.

How do the resorts handle the daily room checks when a dog is present? Do they schedule those?
When we stayed with our dog at the YC, we had to call and let them know we were leaving with the dog,so they could clean. We tried just scheduling a time but they never showed up so we just started calling when we were ready.

The only dog park I know of on Disney property is at the Fort Wilderness Campground. It's called Waggin' Trails.

Oh, and there's a dog park at the Best Friends "pet hotel," but I believe you need to be using their boarding, daycare or grooming services to get access to it.

I've lurked on here for a while and wanted to weigh in as someone else with some experience with a dog on Disney World property. Since the dog policy was announced last year we've made three trips to Yacht Club, two trips to Fort Wilderness Cabins and one trip to Port Orleans Riverside. Prior to Disney designating dog friendly hotels we had rented an RV from one of the providers who offer delivery to Fort Wilderness for three previous trips with our dog as it was the only way we could have our dog with us.

Outside of Disney we travel frequently with our small dog--we both travel frequently for work so whenever we travel personally we prefer dog friendly destinations so it is not additional time apart from him.

We have found Disney's dog policies similar to what we see at non-Disney resorts and destinations, dogs aren't allowed in food and beverage locations, pools and fitness centers but anywhere else is typically okay. When the dog friendly hotels were first announced there was so much bad information out about what you could and couldn't do we almost cancelled that first trip after the new policy was instituted because we thought the dog was only allowed in the hotel room and in the designated relief area and nowhere else. Disney has now posted each property's rules on the individual hotel's web pages which has made making an informed decision much easier.

Our dog is crated during the day while we are at work so being in a crate for part of the day while we enjoy the parks isn't an issue and the resorts all have so much outdoor space to explore and people watch it really feels like he loves the time with us at Disney World.

Fort Wilderness has miles of sidewalks to explore on foot or on a golf cart, we were here right after Christmas last year and checking out all of the campsite decorations was especially fun. Many RV-ers have RVs specifically so they can easily travel with their dogs so it is always fun meeting people at the dog park.

Port Orleans Riverside we really liked--walking along the Sassagoula River and the rest of the property at night or just people watching outside of the Steamboat Company as the horse and carriage comes and goes while enjoying an ice cream.

Yacht Club is probably our favorite Disney resort and we've enjoyed our time there with our dog walking along the board walk and watching the boats on Crescent Lake. According to the Yacht and Beach Club Recreation Team's Instagram (ybresortactivities) they are even offering a dog play time, treats, and paw-art projects on Sunday afternoons at the tennis courts. We haven't stayed here since they started offering this but plan to take advantage of it on a trip in the coming months.

In general my advice would be if your dog is comfortable in a crate during the day and you already travel regularly with your dog and your dog travels well I wouldn't hesitate to also take them along on a trip to Disney World. If you've never taken your dog on an overnight trip I'd probably not recommend Disney World being your first dog friendly destination.

The only dog park I know of on Disney property is at the Fort Wilderness Campground. It's called Waggin' Trails.

Oh, and there's a dog park at the Best Friends "pet hotel," but I believe you need to be using their boarding, daycare or grooming services to get access to it.
Thank you for the info! That's a clever name for the park

Good to know!

Hello
So we are planning our July trip to wdw we stayed in the cars suite back in 2016
Our concern for this upcoming trip is the new pet policy
Are all the buildings pet friendly?
I know they're not allowed in the food courts but what has been your experience?

Thanks !

Hello
So we are planning our July trip to wdw we stayed in the cars suite back in 2016
Our concern for this upcoming trip is the new pet policy
Are all the buildings pet friendly?
I know they're not allowed in the food courts but what has been your experience?

Thanks !
There is a FAQ Sticky at the top of this page where this question should be asked.
@Lynne M can you move this for OP.

I just learned that the Cabins at FW are now dog friendly. We have planned a trip with our 6.5 pound pup for March by renting an RV from an outside company to be delivered to the fort, and rented a preferred space, which is right near the lagoon. We did not rent a golf cart because the location of the RV would have us walking distance to just about anywhere we would want to go.

In the past, we have loved staying in the cabins (we used to be deluxe hotel snobs) but since the remodel, we're not that crazy about them because the murphy bed is gone,the kitchen is smaller, and the bed is smashed into a corner in the bedroom AND is small, which is why we liked the Murphy bed. The new sofa bed is awful. In any event, it is pretty pricey to rent the space from Disney AND rent the RV.

I'm on the fence if we should stay in the RV or move to a cabin. One of the upsides to the cabin is the deck, which we could fence off the stairs and let the pup have fun outdoors. The RV seems to be better equipped and has a king size bed.

I'm looking for your thoughts/ideas.

I was at YC Jan 5-10 and during that time I was aware of 4 dogs. Looked like a black labradoodle, a corgi, and another larger dog. All very well-behaved and calm. One was being walked around the gazebo in the courtyard, two I saw in the lobby area. I heard a dog barking as I walked down the hallway one day. It wasn't really loud but I don't know how it sounded to the neighbors.

I also saw many 'service dogs in training' this trip. They were in the parks.

So I assume that the Swan/Dolphin are still not dog friendly? (many Starwood properties are). I have so many points, would love to go there but we travel with our small dog having no one to watch her and usually go into FW now.

So I assume that the Swan/Dolphin are still not dog friendly? (many Starwood properties are). I have so many points, would love to go there but we travel with our small dog having no one to watch her and usually go into FW now.
i would call the reservation number and ask. Plus, if you have status you could try calling the hotel and explaining the dog is small. It worked for me at a different hotel.

We just returned from a short stay at POR. This was our second onsite visit since Disney started allowing pets to stay at the resorts. Our first stay was in the cabins at FW and it was fabulous! The Fort is really a fantastic place whether traveling with a pet or not, but really easy with one. We used Best Friends for daycare when we out in the parks. I can't say enough great things about the staff here. If you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer them

We have taken our girl with us to Charleston, NC Outer Banks, and several other destinations, but it's different taking her to Disney. It took some extra planning but we loved having her with us.

I planned a trip for early October and resort pickings with a discount are slim. I chose Yacht Club because it was available. I wanted a deluxe resort. I asked to be away from dogs and for an allergy clean. I look everyday for other availability with no luck. I know it will be fine but my worrying self imagines a room smelling like dog, dog barking next door and my DD with hives. Feel free to share your experiences and to tell me Im being silly.

This is super delayed, but it’s my constant struggle. I’m severely allergic to dogs. People don’t understand if they don’t suffer from the same allergies. The inability to breathe, the watery eyes, the hives all over, it’s the worst feeling in the world.

That being said, I’ve never had a problem with any of the resorts I’ve stayed at. I usually call about a week in advance and inform the cast member that we need an allergy clean beforehand and, like I said, they’ve always been amazing and accommodating for it! :sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!