Doing Disney with Stage 4 Cancer

We just got back from our little Christmas vacation in Walt Disney World - it was beautiful! So glad we went. God blessed us with more wonderful memories. How is everyone? I start a new clinical trial today...

- Penny

:wishgoal:wishgoal

Glad to hear you had a special time on your holiday trip.

Good luck on your new treatment.

I'm really glad you bumped this up Redwolf8812--I just found it today and was a few pages in and wondering how you were doing. Happy to see you just had a great trip.

Not really relevant, but we brought Mom and Dad a few times--we always had fun. Last winter, Mom had a cough that wouldn't go away, and got diagnosed with lung cancer (nonsmoker). By the time they found it, it was in her bones. Six weeks from diagnosis until we lost her last Feb. I admire all of you still fighting for every day.

Dad is coming with us again next week--he can use a little magic right about now.

Does anyone know if they are still giving DAS for a dx of cancer? I've been a few times before with it and will still be in treatment when I go in May so I was just wondering if anything has changed since October.

Does anyone know if they are still giving DAS for a dx of cancer? I've been a few times before with it and will still be in treatment when I go in May so I was just wondering if anything has changed since October.

It's not given based on a diagnosis. It's given based on an inability to wait in the regular line for reasons besides mobility and stamina (which are accommodated with a wheelchair or ECV in most regular lines).

So how or why was I provided with it for my last 3 trips :confused3

They overhauled the system in September/October for multiple reasons. It went from the GAC to the DAS. There is a sticky that explains the new DAS and how it works. If you have reasons why you can't wait in line besides stamina or mobility you might qualify for the new pass. But they don't need to know what your diagnosis is because one person undergoing treatment for cancer needs different accommodations in line than someone else undergoing treatment for cancer. They need to know what your individual accommodation needs are.

MRI tonight - prayers welcome.

"Dear Lord, thank You for all Your miracles, cures, treatments, and advances in modern medicines. Thank You for all the tests and treatments that You've used to extend my stay here with family and friends. Thank You for the Gift of Salvation through Your Son, Jesus Christ. Please forgive me for all my sins - I am truly sorry for offending You, My God. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me a sinner. I pray of course for great results from tonight's MRI, but it it's not Your Will, please grant me the Grace to accept it and please continue to guide me, my family, and medical team so that Your Will is accomplished through me. I offer up all my sufferings for the intentions of my heart, which You know, Lord. All these things I pray for the Praise and Glory of Your Mighty Name. In Jesus' Mighty Name, I pray. Amen."

- Penny

MRI Report - "Mild interval decrease of areas of recurrent tumor"!!!

Praise God! Thank You, Jesus!

Thank you all for your continued prayers - meeting with doctor tomorrow.

Even tho this chemo is rough on me the oncologist wants to stay the course since it's working. I say Thank You, Lord! She also managed to get FDA approval for my compassionate use of a treatment that's still in trials but it's for genetic breast cancers (Veliparib). I'm also still thinking of going back to the interventional radiologist to discuss chemoembolization, radioembolization, or stereotactic body radiation therapy. Thank You, Lord for my medical team! Please pray for guidance and if course God's Will. Thanks.

I don't usually get yesterday's bloodwork results so quickly, but the NP wanted me to see how good they are. The liver function numbers are down again! Thank You, Lord! Praise God!

Enjoying this beautiful morning - there's a gorgeous wild Tom turkey wandering around our yard. Sean saw him with all his feathers up but I missed it. Thank You, Lord, for Your wonderful creatures!

"The wolf shall dwell with the lamb,

and the leopard shall lie down with the kid,

and the calf and the lion and the fatling together,

and a little child shall lead them."

(Isaiah 11:6 RSV)

- Penny

I wanted to thank everyone on this thread. You were a tremendous help to me. My friends and I have been going to WDW every year for the past 25 years. our families have enjoyed wonderful times together. As our children have grown, we started going together just as three adult couples still every year but now at off season. My friend was diagnosed with stage three melanoma almost 5 years ago. We continued to go to WDW but just planned around her treatments. In 2012 when we went she didn't get to go on many things but still had fun. She really enjoyed Toy Story but sadly couldn't get a fast pass because she just couldn't get to the park early enough. This past November we were going and she was late stage 4. She was disappointed about not being able to do Toy Story anymore because of the lines. I started researching on here and found out about the DAS. There were problems with that since again we didn't get to the parks until late in the afternoon but it was at least something, We went to GR in HS. I knew from here to mention that she couldn't spend time in the parks for long. The cast member at guest relations was wonderful(it was obvious that she was undergoing chemo) He gave her about 8 passes to get on any ride just as if she had fast passes(there were 4 of us) she was able to go on Toy Story twice and had a wonderful time. She did so well we went in again to MK a few days later and she was able to see the new Mermaid ride.
I'm about to get ready for her funeral now but those wonderful memories we had from this last trip were precious. She never stopped trying to beat this disease.
Again, thank you to those on this thread who helped present so much info that
I would never have known about.Good luck to all who are still fighting the good fight. Bless you.

Looking to take a cruise in March. Waiting for my first scan of my lung cancer tomorrow. Walking distances is a problem. Anyone with advice on doing DCL with this limitation. We are doing the Magic because our experience with the Dream meant it would be too much.
Thanks,
Rob
Michigan:)

Welcome, Rob. I've never been on a cruise but I'm sure someone will come along to give you advice. I imagine they have wheelchairs you can rent for the duration of your vacation. Keep us posted.

Prayers for all,
Penny

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter