Dollywood area tips

czmom

DIS Veteran
We are going to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge this August, staying at the Dollywood resort for 5 nights. I’d love to hear any tips and must dos in the area! My kids are 10 and 12.
Also- we will be flying in/out of Atlanta. Any must sees on the drive from Atlanta to Gatlinburg are welcome too!
Thanks!

If you have time before you leave Atlanta, we consider the Georgia Aquarium, World of Coke, and Olympic Park to be must-dos.
In Gatlinburg, I highly recommend making a ride over to Sevierville for the outlet shopping and eating at the Applewood Farmhouse Restaurant. Flapjacks is a great place for breakfast too.

If you have a chance to do an alpine coaster, those are a fun experience, especially at night. There are usually Groupons available for those.

Your kids would likely enjoy Wonderworks museum. The older kids in our group really liked it, especially when they got to lay on a bed of nails. They also have a magic show that we all found entertaining.

Beyond that, there are lots of neat gift shops and things to look at. If you are outdoor people, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park is in Gatlinburg, with lots of great hiking.

There is a ton of the typical family amusement too, like mini golf and go karts.

Following! My 4th grade DS is working on a report about the Great Smoky Mountains for school and we were just talking about finding a way to bring him there on vacation - and Dollywood has been on my list to do for a while!

In addition to the places others have mentioned (especially the national park):
- Whitewater rafting
- Goats on the Roof (really)
- MagiQuest (it was near our hotel and ended up being a fun rainy evening activity)
- Dinner shows (many to choose from; we did Dixie Stampede, Lumberjack, and Comedy Barn [actually not a dinner show])
- Go carts, arcades, escape games
- Bush’s Beans Visitor Center (fun stop on the way back from rafting)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I’m going to look into these!
I know for sure we will be hiking, ziplining, and white water rafting. Also want to eat at Dixie Stampede.

Thank you, OP and everyone who posted. We are planning a summer trip with our little girls (5, 3 and 2) and have gotten some good ideas.

Another vote for breakfast at Applewood. Don’t be scared off by the wait. It’s worth it!

Thanks everyone! I’m going to look into these!
I know for sure we will be hiking, ziplining, and white water rafting. Also want to eat at Dixie Stampede.

I love Dixie Stampede! I worked there one summer when I was in high school as a saloon girl. Top garter seller, 1990. :tongue:

I think it is just Stampede now. They took out the "Dixie" to be more, um, sensitive. :rolleyes2 It is really a fun place to eat. Great choice.

We love Dollywood. I grew up in the area and we've been so many times- even way back when it was Silver Dollar City.

The Dreammore is a beautiful resort. They have a neat pool. Small, but with a nice design and in a very pretty setting. They usually do S'Mores and campfires at night. Check into a season pass. Might be cheaper to buy that if you are going to be there four days. The water park is really nice, too. Very clean and nicely designed. The resort offers a free quick-queue pass for Dollywood (which is super nice), but I am pretty sure the free quick queue is not good for Splash Country.

The Ripley's Aquarium is really interesting, and if you happen to be a teacher, they offer great educator discounts- even for out of state teachers. You will need a recent pay stub and an ID, though, to get it.

Cade's Cove is beautiful.

We were in Gatlinburg a few weeks ago and did Anakeesta Mountain. They call it a "Theme Park," and it's not really a theme park, but it is a great experience (if you are brave and not afraid of heights- that ski lift is quite an adventure). They have a ski-lift type ride that takes you up the mountain and on top they have a cute, tiny little village with food and a couple of shops. Beautiful views. A trail of bridges and a mountain rollercoaster are there, too. They also have a zipline. Anakeesta Mountain is a very new attraction and feels very new and clean (not true for everything in Gatlinburg). They are continuing to add on to it and soon hope to have a road you can take a shuttle up if you don't want to ride the ski lift. Right now, the lift is the only way up.

For sure! Any awesome trails to hike?
Lots of trails at GSMNP. From long and strenuous to short and easy. Stop at the SugerLand Visitor Center at the entrance to the park for info. The Great Smokey Mountain National Park doesn’t charge admission. A few good hikes are Rainbow Falls, Grotto Falls, Abrams Falls. I also enjoy the Arts & Crafts Community. It’s a little ways off from Pigeon Forge, but it’s a driving loop of genuine craftsman.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter