Dolphin Encounter at Seaworld?

friedela

DIS Veteran
Has anyone done it? The website doesn't mention how long it is. Just wondering if it's worth the money?

According the fine print (see below), the program lasts only 10-15 minutes. I haven't done this, but that seems a bit short. It also does not include park admission, which is a separate charge.
Have you decided to rent a car to get to San Diego?

Reservation includes the Dolphin Encounter program on day and time of your reservation only. Park admission is not included with your program reservation but is required. Due to the special nature of this program, space is limited and early reservations are recommended. Overall program lasts between 10 to 15 minutes and is subject to change. Participants must be at least 48 inches tall (or accompanied by a paid adult participant). Participants under 18 will need a parent or guardian present. No loose jewelry, sunglasses or smoking is permitted during the interaction. Photographers will be available during the interaction with photos available for purchase afterwards for an additional fee. Dates, program, prices and event offerings are subject to change without notice. All events are subject to change and/or cancellation due to animal availability. Events are not cancelled due to inclement weather; programs will still be offered except in the event of lightning. Cancellation Policy: cancellations 48 hours before your reservation will result in a full refund; cancellations within 48 hours of your reservation will not be refunded. Cannot be combined with any other offers, promotions or discounts. Non-replaceable, non-transferable, not for resale and cannot be redeemed for cash. Void if altered and photocopies will not be accepted. Pass Member discount is available when booking through the Pass Member website.

Last edited:
I did it many years ago. It was a very long time ago. My family has chosen to avoid Sea World after learning about their purchase of dolphins and whale from The Cove in Japan. The purchase was made long before we knew about it, but we never got over it after being educated about the cruelty of the capture of dolphins and whales.

On that happy note, my daughter and I did this way back when I was homeschooling her. We got to feed dolphins and have them do a few tricks that were already trained on them. At the time we thought the experience was okay as a one and one type of thing. Not really worth the money, but it was something to do. With my newer knowledge, I would never put any money towards any type of dolphin captivity program and would say that even if they were free they would not be worth it.

According the fine print (see below), the program lasts only 10-15 minutes. I haven't done this, but that seems a bit short. It also does not include park admission, which is a separate charge.
Have you decided to rent a car to get to San Diego?

Reservation includes the Dolphin Encounter program on day and time of your reservation only. Park admission is not included with your program reservation but is required. Due to the special nature of this program, space is limited and early reservations are recommended. Overall program lasts between 10 to 15 minutes and is subject to change. Participants must be at least 48 inches tall (or accompanied by a paid adult participant). Participants under 18 will need a parent or guardian present. No loose jewelry, sunglasses or smoking is permitted during the interaction. Photographers will be available during the interaction with photos available for purchase afterwards for an additional fee. Dates, program, prices and event offerings are subject to change without notice. All events are subject to change and/or cancellation due to animal availability. Events are not cancelled due to inclement weather; programs will still be offered except in the event of lightning. Cancellation Policy: cancellations 48 hours before your reservation will result in a full refund; cancellations within 48 hours of your reservation will not be refunded. Cannot be combined with any other offers, promotions or discounts. Non-replaceable, non-transferable, not for resale and cannot be redeemed for cash. Void if altered and photocopies will not be accepted. Pass Member discount is available when booking through the Pass Member website.

Oh goodness, I didn't even see that! Yeah, 10 minutes is not worth $300 for us. Although I would love for my kids to see them as a once in a lifetime opportunity it's a lot of money for barely any time with them.

Thanks for the help!

I did it many years ago. It was a very long time ago. My family has chosen to avoid Sea World after learning about their purchase of dolphins and whale from The Cove in Japan. The purchase was made long before we knew about it, but we never got over it after being educated about the cruelty of the capture of dolphins and whales.

On that happy note, my daughter and I did this way back when I was homeschooling her. We got to feed dolphins and have them do a few tricks that were already trained on them. At the time we thought the experience was okay as a one and one type of thing. Not really worth the money, but it was something to do. With my newer knowledge, I would never put any money towards any type of dolphin captivity program and would say that even if they were free they would not be worth it.

Thank you for this. I am on a mission to educate people on the ugly side of dolphin and whale captivity. If people would stop putting money into this, the practice would stop. I encourage anyone who is planning on swimming with the dolphins to watch "The Cove" first, and then decide if it's worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter