Dolphin Encounter in Cozemel

tchan03

I have found my Cinderella
Hi it will be my first time on Oasis of the seas next month and first experience doing dolphin encounter. I have two kids , 4 and 7 yrs old.

I am considering doing Dolphin Encounter thru Royal Carribbean or doing "Royal Encounter"privately thru Royal Encounter.

Anyone experienced that? Several Questions:

1 Safety wise which is more secure and better?

2. Does either of those include lunch?

3 Do you rather recommend dolphin swim instead of "encounter"?

Thanks
TC

Last edited:
I'm assuming this is at Dolphin Discovery at Chakanaab. If so, I would suggest booking separately. Even paying for cab fare, you save a bunch of money. For your questions...

1) Again assuming you're talking about booking directly vs. from RCI, it's the same experience. Those booking directly will be teamed with others on the ship excursion once you're at the park and checked in.
2) You'd have to look at the description of each. We've done this twice. DW & I did it in 2013 (from Oasis) and lunch wasn't included. The kids joined us in 2014 (on Freedom) and lunch was included. Both times we booked directly with Chakanaab. The descriptions will tell you if lunch is included.
3) I would do the Dolphin Swim Adventure or the Royal Swim (depending on budget). The Dolphin 'Encounter' doesn't look like it's worth it to me.

http://www.dolphindiscovery.com/cozumel/chankanaab-national-park.asp is the link to book directly. The Swim Adventure includes lunch.

I don't know about booking through Royal Caribbean but we booked directly through Chakanaab last time. We did a joint Dolphin swim (royal swim)/ sea lion encounter, which also included a manatee encounter. Sooooo much cheaper to do it directly. It was wonderful and the best excursion we have done. I think the dolphin swim is much better than the encounter (you only get to pet and kiss the dolphin). That being said, it would depend on the age of your kids. For the Royal Swim you have to be 8 yrs old, but we had our 7 year old do it. Its a LOT of swimming out into the middle of the ocean area (it is has boundaries but there is no area where our son could touch the ground). Of course you have on life jackets, but it was just a lot of swimming for my son. Also, the dolphins don't stop and wait for you so you have to grab on while they are moving during the dorsal fin pull. My son missed the first time but managed to get it the second time. He did not do the one where they push you with their nose (thats only available on royal swim). I am not sure the age requirements and what is included in the regular dolphin swim but just keep it in mind that the dorsal pull may be a little tricky for younger kids!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter