• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dolphin

Gemm01

<font color=red>I Love Disney World!!!!!
My husband and I just returned from the World. We had reservations at the Dolphin (Gov't rate). The resort is beautiful from the outside and the lobby is grand. I was excited about staying there until we went to our room. I know we had a good rate but I was soooo unhappy. The hotel really needs a good overhaul. The carpets leading to our room were very worn, airvent just outside room looked as if someone had beaten it up, some stains on the wall in the room, the bed was like a rock, hair left around the sink from previous guest shaving. There was also an odor that smelled like mold or mildew. I went back to the desk to ask about changing rooms and he informed me that we had the government rate and that was the best he could do. He also said that for $30 more per night he could upgrade me to a better view. I couldn't see spending anymore money on a place I was so unimpressed with. My complaint really was not the view. We had not payed for a view and I did not expect a view. We were on the second floor and the room looked out over the water. That in and of itself was the most pleasing thing about the room. Anyway, we stayed the night, got up the next morning called Disney explained the situation and moved to the ASMu with the AP rate. We were so much happier. The room was much more pleasing. Mickey and Minnie even left an anniversary card for us. I learned my lesson. We will stay in Disney owned hotels from now on.

Wow, sorry you had such an unpleasant stay at the Dolphin.

We stayed there in February and had a fabulous balcony room with a beautiful view of the Boardwalk and Epcot. Our room appeared to be recently wallpapered and was in great condition.

Our bed was the exact opposite of yours, it was a bit saggy. I understand they are in the process of replacing all their mattresses with "Heavenly Beds." Maybe you got an extra firm version!

I'm glad the rest of your trip turned out okay!:D

Hi Gemm01 :) We just came back from a split stay at the Coronado and Dolphin several weeks ago. I tend to agree with you about it--although the outside and lobby were grand, I was dissapointed with some of the services there. For instance, there were trays of food that sat out in the hallways for a whole day, when people ordered it the night before. We were a little disapointed that we couldn't get a balcony either--it was an extra $30 a night--oh well :rolleyes: But, it was a fun trip though--I'm glad I had the opportunity to go :)

I am so sorry you had such a dissapointing experience at the Dolphin..DH and I spent 12 days last Sept. and our room was just beautiful. Everything was clean and fresh. In a matter of fact weonly want stay at the Dolphin. I wish you had a room like ours so you could have stayed there and enjoyed the hotel. But I'm glad to hear you had a Great room at the AS. Our daughter and DSIL had a very bad experience at the AllStar Sports. Goes to show that you never know? Go Figure...

Chatty (Nadine)

Sorry to hear how dissapointed you were with the Dolphin. It seems as though there are some very mixed reviews regarding this resort. My family stayed at the Dophin last August and although I was very nervous I booked the trip anyway (couldn't resist those teacher's rates). We absolutely loved this resort, most of all our view and location. I guess the room just wasn't that important to us, afterall we are hardly in it. The convenience to Epcot, MGM, the Boardwalk, etc. were far more importatnt to us. We were thrilled with this hotel for such a low price and certainly would not have given that up to stay elswhere. I do have to agree that the rooms could be updated and that I would NEVER pay rack rate for this hotel, but for $99 per night I wouldn;t stay anywhere else!

I'm wondering if I notice a trend...I notice a lot of the complaints come from the lower floor rooms. We were on the 8th floor and loved it. Maybe the wear and tear is worse on the lower floors? Just a thought.

I'm really sorry you had a negative experience.

I paid super close attention to trays after the debates on these boards. I never noticed one outside a room for more then an hour or two...which I would think is more then acceptable.

I hope you write an email to the Dolphin and tell them exactly what you told us.

I'm also sorry to hear about your room. That is an interesting observation that Jen80370 mentioned. We had a room on the 7th floor with a balcony and a great view and the room was very nice, no complaints. But, my aunt and uncle were also there at the same time and they were on the ground floor and had a beautiful room also. So, there's no telling. We also didn't see any trays out at all during out trip, so who knows?? Maybe it's a certain section of the hotel that needs revamping?? Phyiscally and with housekeeping??

I remember after some negative reviews on the boards about the Dolphin a few months back I started to get a bit nervous about staying there, but I was anything but disappointed. We stayed at the Swan 4x previously and I didn't want to try to Dolphin, now I like it better:)!

We had a little problem with housekeeping at the Swan but it didn't stop me from returning and trying it again. It was just a fluke. Too bad you won't give them another chance. We've also stayed at lots of WDW owned hotels and have had our share of problems with them as well.

I noticed that too, Jen. Seems like I remember reading somewhere that renovations are taking place, starting at the club level rooms and working their way down. Might be something to remember when booking.

Carol

Gemm01, I'm also sorry your room was not up to par. I hope the Dolphin can finish up their improvements soon.

Higher up is no guarantee of nice room, as we had problems on the 16th floor. I think the best thing to do is to request refurbished room, if possible. Or try for as close to club level (12)as possible.

However, I must say that the bed we had slept fine. I really wanted to try those heavenly beds though!!

Originally posted by Jen80370
I'm wondering if I notice a trend...I notice a lot of the complaints come from the lower floor rooms. We were on the 8th floor and loved it. Maybe the wear and tear is worse on the lower floors? Just a thought.

Our first stay at the Dolphin (last year) we had a room on 3rd floor overlooking the lake and pool area. We loved it so much we asked for the exact same room this year....we got it!:)

I don't want to start any debates but after our 7 night stay at the Dolphin we went over to the year old Hard Rock Hotel at Universal and could not believe how worn the carpet in our room was!! Also the hallway walls to our room were nicked so bad that there was plaster here and there on the floor. I don't know how old the Dolphin is but we were so much more impressed at how upstanding that place was versus the newer HRH!

Gemm01, I wish you didn't have such a disappointing stay at the Dolphin but glad you had a nice time at the All Stars.:D

So Sorry to read about your stay. Glad to see you changed to a resort you enjoy and are more comfortable with for the remainder of your stay. I must attest, I've read the very SAME complaints about the ASMu resort (shabby carpet, dingy rooms, in need of an overhaul, etc.)...so it just goes to show "different strokes for different folks!" ;)
We LOVE the Dolphin, and have a difficult time staying anywhere else! We have stayed at every Disney-owned resort (w/exception to the value resorts & AKL)...and experienced our share of woes there too. ;) Hope all your future stays are pleasant.

**Kitty...the HRH is only 3 years young, Dolphin is 12+! I agree with you, and Adore the Dolphin! The Hallways Carpet is SO FUN...to jump from beach towel to beach towel without touching the "burning sand" is an roaring adventure in itself! I'm full of whimsey and folly...so it's La Place for moi!
:p :D :cool:

We just got back, and yes the hallway carpet does look "well-loved," but our room (7th floor Epcot view) was terrific (the bed wasn't "heavenly" but it was fine). The location could not have been better and the kids loved the Grotto pool!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter