dolphins in captivity

dreaming

Mouseketeer
we went to cape may new jersey this summer and took an educational tour boat with a dolphin watch. the narrator said that dolphins in the wild live to be 45 to 50 years old, but in captivity they usually die right away or only live about 5 years because of disease - with the biggest factor being the water they live in. This really made me sad because we always went to the dolphin show at hershey park, which I will no longer do. Can anyone reassure me that it is different at seaworld. If the dolphins are dying just so I can have a show to watch I don't want to go. I'm sure that seaworld must be different, but I need to know for sure or I just can't support it by buying a ticket.

I think the dolphins are helicoptered back to the ocean every evening. I'm not sure tho, could be wrong.
Jim

From what I know Sea World spends a fortune taking care of the dolphins as well as many other type of marine life. The also have a rescue facility where they nurse injured manatees (again also other marine life) back to health. I would say from having been there that they are top notch. If you go you can always ask questions, the people there love to educate the public.

I would think your "narrator" was being VERY economical with the truth. For a start I doubt the average life expectancy of dolphins in the wild is 45-50 years, it may be possible for a dolphin to live that long but I think that predation,pollution and the general hardships of life in the wild mean the real figure is much lower. Again, I'm sure there are some parks that don't take as much care as SW/DC do with their animals but I'm sure that SW's dolphins have a much longer lifespan than 5 years, I know that I have seen dolphins that have been at SW for 10-12 years and I think the trainer at DC told me the dolphin that was part of our interaction had been with the SW parks for 18 years.

It's also a fact to be taken into consideration that many of the dolphins in captivity are there because they were rescued from illness/injury caused in the wild, in those cases it isn't suprising that some of them will die from those illnesses/injuries. As is often the case there are , I'm sure well meaning, animal rights activists who will missuse "facts,figures and information" in order to back up there own cause without caring that their deceit weakens the case for those other who care about animal wellfare but see that truthful information, educating the general population and showing them what a shame it would be if those animals slid into extinction is likely to be a much more successful way to ensure our grandchildren get the same opportunity to enjoy and marvel at these creatures that our generation has. JMHO

actually, from what I have read on various dolphin web sites 45 years is an average life span for dolphins, although I'm sure life in the wild can reduce this life span greatly depending on the conditions, preditors, etc. I'm also fairly confident that Seaworld is doing things the right way so I will go and ask myself when I get there just to make sure my facts are correct. I am not an animal rights activist, but I have a strong belief that we all have an obligation to do our best to make sure that all the wonderful gifts of the earth are enjoyed wisely and certainly Dolphins dying prematurely simply for entertainment is not a wise use of this incredible natural resource so I think that until I know for sure it isn't happening at Hershey Park we will avoid that source of encounter. Thanks for the responses!:D

The dolphins at sea world are very well taken care of.
At Discovery Cove the 22 yr old dolphin we swam with was one of the dolphins from "Jaws". They called him Sandy in the movie.
I think his real name is Capricorn.

The trainers explained how very careful they are not to "overstimulate" the dolphins because stress can cause illness in them. The exposure of each dolphin is carefully limited to the public. They get excellent medical and nutritional care.

The dolphins sea world has are all bred from the existing (combined) population of all their the parks. It is now illegal to capture or even touch any "wild" dolphin. (Many years ago there was no such law) Yes, you can be arrested for having any physical contact with a wild dolphin.

I recommend Discovery Cove for the education as well as the experience. cmj/nj
:smooth:

You're welcome.
--------------------
I agree with your concerns re: Animal treatment in theme parks.

=:-)

My daughter and I swam with Goofy at the DIP (Dolphin Interaction Program) at Sea World before DC was open. I believe they told us Goofy was 35 years old and she also starred in the Jaws show. She was precious and perfect. We have also swam with Natalie at Discovery Cove. I can understand your concerns. My 14 year old is bound and determined to become a Marine Biologist so she can save the Dolphins. She is always unhappy at Sea World worrying about the animals being captive in tanks but she so loves being around them. I can totally see her being an animal activist. We have recently questioned the well being of the dolphins in the interaction programs ourselves after doing some article reading. Be aware that in the USA there are laws in place that help to protect these precious creatures. I believe each dolphin is only allowed 4 hours of interaction per day so it's not like they are forced to interact with the public from park opening to close. I also learned that there are no such laws in other parts of the world where the swims and interaction programs have become big business such as in the Caribbean and Mexico and South America and apparently the animals are not doing well. We just returned from 2 weeks in the Caribbean this past February and are planning a trip to Cancun next February and originally looked into the posiblility of doing the swims there but have since decided against it. It just did not feel right for "us". I could see myself being a little bit hipocritical because I can't say that I'll never again swim with these beautiful creatures at Discovery Cove but I just would like to know that what I do is not jeopardizing their health and happiness. DD sais "mom they can't help it that there mouth is made to look like a smile, how do I know that they are happy doing this with me?" They just seem so playfull and willing to interact with humans. They fill my heart with joy being around them and I can see why this has become so popular knowing how it makes me feel being in the water and stroking and loving on them. It's just indescribable. This subject is very close to our hearts and I will continue to follow the studies and findings.

Chrisn - your daughter sounds wise beyond her years! My dd is only 6 but loves animals, especially dolphins and has insisted for over a year that she is definitely going to be a veterinary :D If you hear anything new on the subject let me know. There is a place in the upper keys that has dolphin interaction that I plan on looking into for a future trip, I believe it is a good research facility that saves wounded marine life but plan on getting all the details before we would consider it. Dolphin interaction is great, but not at the expense of the animal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter