Donald's in the kitchen again, mixing up some Festive Treats!

Donald - my hero

<font color=blue>Aww yes. The dreaded "mouse hand"
We're rounding the corner and heading into the time of year when special recipes get pulled out and yummy treats appear like magic. It will be a different type of season for most of us as we continue to navigate the restrictions that COVID-19 is placing on our lives. However, I'm sure most of us have at least one special item that's only made once a year, a family recipe that's been handed down on a greasy, dog-eared piece of paper, a cookie tin that gets stored with the decorations and will be begging to be filled. I'm sure we will ALL have one or two family members who will be heartbroken if the treats aren't available "just like every year"

Let's share these recipes with each other, show how we store them, give tips as to which will freeze, ones that can be halved (or doubled if you really need that nostalgic hit!) and perhaps figure out how to package & mail them to family members we can't visit.

I'll pull the recipes to this first page like I did with the other kitchen thread to make it easier to reference

I've got 2 off the top of my head, rum cake and rum balls! :D

The rum cake I make all year long, it is my family's favourite cake so it gets requested a lot!

Rum Cake
Chocolate version
1 chocolate cake mix (I use the one with pudding in the mix)
1 chocolate pudding mix (119 gr)

Vanilla version
Replace the chocolate cake mix with a vanilla cake mix (with pudding in the mix)
Replace the chocolate pudding with a vanilla pudding

Both versions
½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
½ cup light rum
½ cup water
½ cup oil
4 eggs

Grease and flour a bundt pan. (I sometimes skip this and just spray the heck out of the pan with cooking spray!)
Spread the nuts evenly on the bottom.
Beat the rest of the ingredients with the cake mix and pudding for 2 minutes.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.
The cake is done when it has pulled slightly away from the sides of the pan and a tester comes out clean.

Glaze
½ cup sugar
⅛cup water
¼ cup light rum
⅛ lb butter

About 5 minutes before the cake is due to be ready, make the glaze.
Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan.
Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute.
Prick the cake in several places with a bamboo skewer.
Drizzle about ½ of the glaze evenly over cake while both are still hot.
You can either just pour it carefully from the saucepan or use a baster.
Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 5 minutes.
Place a sheet of parchment paper on top of a cake rack.
Invert the cake onto the parchment paper.
Drizzle the remaining glaze over what is now the top of the cake (where you can see the nuts).
Allow the cake to cool completely.
Slide the cake off the paper and onto a serving plate.

Chocolate Rum Balls
1 x 125 gr Philadelphia cream cheese, softened
1 cup ground almonds
1 cup icing sugar
1 tsp powdered instant coffee
1/4 cup dark rum
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted

Blend all ingredients.
Chill if too soft to handle.
Make into 1 inch balls.
Roll in coatings of your choice and place in a mini cupcake liner.

• chocolate sprinkles
  • toasted almond slices
  • icing sugar
  • toasted coconut
  • cocoa
  • melted chocolate

I would like to buy and try a Bundt pan,,, I've never had one.
Maybe make a Christmas wreath cake.?
Hmmmm maybe some mini bundt pan cakes?
https://www.amazon.ca/Wilton-Non-St...603812182&sprefix=mini+fluted,aps,202&sr=8-15
Hugs
Mel

Hmm, never tried to make mini ones but now I want to! :)

I have gone through 3 or 4 bundt pans in my adulthood, I make this cake pretty often! It is a serious "cheat" cake since it uses both cake and pudding mix but it is seriously YUM!

Death by chocolate is a cheat cake for sure. It's got so much sugar in it!

Basically bake a chocolate cake in a Bundt pan. When it's still warm pop it out of the pan onto a platter/serving tray and poke holes all over it with a skewer. Then poor a can of sweetened condensed milk over it, a can of caramel sauce and top with whipped cream and crushed Skor bar (I use skor bits).

Ok this is the only thing I normally bake for Christmas. (I know not much of a baker here).
Nana's Shortbread
I do change up the recipe by adding mini chips of caramel and dark and white chocolate and sometimes I dip them in melted chocolate.
I use mini cookie cutter sometimes too.
The recipe is found on the back of the Canada Cornstarch box.
https://www.mypersonalitea.com/2019/01/09/day-0-grandmas-shortbread/
That's it for me.

Hugs
Mel

I'm getting so hungry just reading this thread.

@Aladora If I don't want the rum cake to be too strong which one of the two rums should I not add. The one in the mix or the one after the cake is baked.

I'm getting so hungry just reading this thread.

@Aladora If I don't want the rum cake to be too strong which one of the two rums should I not add. The one in the mix or the one after the cake is baked.

The cake is not REALLY rum-ish. The whole cake only has 3/4 cup and TBH I never use all of the glaze.

If you have to remove one of the two, I would definitely keep the one that is in the cake mix and skip the one in the glaze.

Ok this is the only thing I normally bake for Christmas. (I know not much of a baker here).
Nana's Shortbread
I do change up the recipe by adding mini chips of caramel and dark and white chocolate and sometimes I dip them in melted chocolate.
I use mini cookie cutter sometimes too.
The recipe is found on the back of the Canada Cornstarch box.
https://www.mypersonalitea.com/2019/01/09/day-0-grandmas-shortbread/
That's it for me.

Hugs
Mel
This is my favourite thing to make and I've been making them for over 50 years. I actually started making them when I was about 12. Melt in your mouth deliciousness. It is expected that I make them at Christmas-preferably green Christmas trees (cookie press-I don't roll cookies). My one daughter makes them, too. And a niece.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter