Donald's in the kitchen again, mixing up some Festive Treats!

I think I will try a few of those recipes. DS used to pick up the Checkerboard cookies at College (culinary department sales). They were a Christmas favourite. No college this year so I may have to undertake that myself.

Here are the 2 cookies that I have to make every year since the 80's.
Mini Chip Butter Crisps

2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 ¼ cups unsalted butter, softened
1 cup icing sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 ½ cups mini chocolate chips

Stir together flour and salt,
Cream butter gradually beat in sugar and vanilla
Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, part at a time;
Blend until smoothly combined.
Stir in chocolate chips.
Form dough into 1 inch balls. Place 1 dozen at a time on a cookie sheet,
Flatten to rounds approx 2 inches in diameter with bottom of glass dipped in flour.
Bake in 325 degree Fahrenheit oven 10 or 11 min. They will not be brown looking - want them to look pale like shortbread
Cool
Makes about 6 dozen cookies

Cherry Snowballs

¾ cup butter or margarine ( I use unsalted butter)
1/3 cup sifted icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon salt
1 ¾ cups all purpose flour
½ cup finely chopped almonds – optional
Whole candied cherries (I use the mixed green and red and make 2 dozen of each colour)
Icing sugar

Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit
Cream butter and beat in icing sugar, vanilla & salt
Blend in flour
Wrap about a teaspoonful of dough around each cherry – I put a small piece of the colour of inside cherry on top
Arrange on an ungreased baking sheet
Baked in pre-heated oven for 20 minutes - they won't be brown looking - want them to look pale like shortbread
Cool slightly and roll in icing sugar
Makes 4 dozen

Time to share some of the recipes that are ALWAYS asked to be included at the Duck Pond!
Our Daughter's Favourite, (there's zero reason to tell anyone how easy these are to make!!! They freeze really well making them a perfect addition to the early "baking" sessions)
Confetti Squares
Ingredients

• 1/4 cup unsalted butter ***56 G
  • 1 cup peanut butter ***270 G
  • 1 bag butterscotch chips ***300 G
  • 4-5 cup rainbow marshmallows ***200 G
Steps
  1. Line an 8x8 or 9x9 inch pan with aluminum foil and lightly grease.
  2. In a medium saucepan over low heat melt together the butter, peanut butter & butterscotch chips.
  3. Stir occasionally until the mixture is smooth.
  4. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
  5. Stir in the marshmallows. (if you add them too soon you'll end up with melted goo!)
  6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and set in the fridge to harden (about 1-2 hours).
  7. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer (thaw in the fridge or they'll sweat all over your cookie tray!!)

Time to share some of the recipes that are ALWAYS asked to be included at the Duck Pond!
Our Daughter's Favourite, (there's zero reason to tell anyone how easy these are to make!!! They freeze really well making them a perfect addition to the early "baking" sessions)
Confetti Squares
View attachment 537687
Ingredients

Steps
  2. In a medium saucepan over low heat melt together the butter, peanut butter & butterscotch chips.
  5. Stir in the marshmallows. (if you add them too soon you'll end up with melted goo!)
  6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and set in the fridge to harden (about 1-2 hours).
  7. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer (thaw in the fridge or they'll sweat all over your cookie tray!!)

Our family has been making these since the early 80s (we got the first Company's Coming cookbook when it first came out - I was about 11). Love these. We only use regular marshmallows in it since we don't really like the coloured ones. Such a yummy recipe!

Confetti Squares

Ingredients

Steps
I call them Auntie Penny bars as my friend shared the recipe with me and her Auntie Penny used to make them. Yummo

Confetti Squares
View attachment 537687
Ingredients

Steps
These have always been a staple in our house until we found out grandson has a peanut allergy. I tried using WOW butter but it just isn't the same. Different texture and it doesn't have that peanut butter taste I so love.
My dirty little secret is I keep a small jar of PB in the very back of the highest cupboard where I know he can't get to and I will occasionally have a spoonful. Other than that we are very cautious with it all, nothing done with PB.

I’ve been making those for over 20 years. Only a year or 2 ago did I hear them called Christmas crack. I make them year round....very easy and very popular treat. Last year I made 8 batches for DD’s fundraiser bake sale. They were the first to sell out. LOL...one of her team mates asked if I would make more for her to take home at Christmas break.

ETA: I make them with saltines and don’t usually put nuts on them. The original recipe doesn’t call for anything other than the chocolate. I did make them once with crushed candy cane on top...it looked nice but I wasn’t crazy about the taste. I guess I’m a purist.

Last edited:
I ordered a nut free tray of baking for this year, but I will still make buttertarts and those toffee bar things you're all talking about. I use graham crackers for mine though. I have to hide it in my freezer at work or the kids will eat it all in a couple of days!
I also love those peanut butter marshmallow things, but don't make them because of nut allergies in the family too. But, an older lady that works with my dh makes them and she'd always make him some when he helped her out with something. Then she'd send him extra for me, and last year she just bypassed him and brought me a tray to my work! Ha Ha.

I was finally able to get started doing a little Christmas baking. The youngest ds came into the kitchen to "taste test" the goodies. He sighed and said " That tastes like Christmas!"

They are a family favorite and I make them without fail every year. Over the years, when I have made up trays to take places, people always ask for the recipe. I started to send along a filled out recipe card for them because it was always requested after I had dropped off the tray. They are super easy to make and almost everyone can eat them. It is just a simple dough rolled out with cinnamon sugar instead of flour and rolled up into crescents. If anyone would like the recipe...just let me know and I will send the recipe.

Attachments

• PXL_20201208_043541343.jpg
    PXL_20201208_043541343.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20201208_040928656.jpg
    PXL_20201208_040928656.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 15
One last recipe from our house to finish up the festive season! I was told we NEEDED eggnog in the house, uhm, not sure why because I can't have it, hubby doesn't really like it much and the girls wouldn't be here for more than a few hours, bought it anyway. So what to do with an almost full container of that vile stuff (even if i could drink it, it's GROSS!!)? Easy, make eggnog rice pudding! Everyone loved it, i divided it up and dropped some off for the girls on my way to Costco. If anyone is interested I'll post the recipe, I used my Instant Pot so it was easy to clean up as well.

One last recipe from our house to finish up the festive season! I was told we NEEDED eggnog in the house, uhm, not sure why because I can't have it, hubby doesn't really like it much and the girls wouldn't be here for more than a few hours, bought it anyway. So what to do with an almost full container of that vile stuff (even if i could drink it, it's GROSS!!)? Easy, make eggnog rice pudding! Everyone loved it, i divided it up and dropped some off for the girls on my way to Costco. If anyone is interested I'll post the recipe, I used my Instant Pot so it was easy to clean up as well.
That's an interesting idea....I have 2 leftover cartons of eggnog. Mine is dairy free so it's shelf stable. Even though the date on it is 2023 the thought of it sitting in the cupboard until next Christmas and then drinking it is gross. Secondary problem.....we don't eat rice, it's not diabetic friendly. I do really love rice pudding though....maybe I could make a small batch.

LOL....so I used my rice pudding recipe and substituted the fake nog that I have for the milk. I had no idea is if was going to work or not. It did!

I decided to not say anything about the nog until after it was eaten. The dairy free DD is the picky one that will say something tastes weird in an instant.....she said it was really good. Her only comment was that she would have liked it a tad sweeter.....I confessed that I cut the sugar in half in an effort to not totally kill her dad. I also liked it but I find that I don't feel well after eating something high carb so even though the amount I had was about 1/2 cup I felt like I had a rock in my stomach.

These have always been a staple in our house until we found out grandson has a peanut allergy. I tried using WOW butter but it just isn't the same. Different texture and it doesn't have that peanut butter taste I so love.
My dirty little secret is I keep a small jar of PB in the very back of the highest cupboard where I know he can't get to and I will occasionally have a spoonful. Other than that we are very cautious with it all, nothing done with PB.
@tinkerone Try No Nuts butter or Barney butter. Much better substitutes than Wow butter. I loathe Wow butter!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter