Don't love Air Canada

Best_Vacation_EVER!

DIS Veteran
Booked my flight back in January 2019 for a December 2019 trip. There were a few slight changes to flight times over the past few months for which I received notification of by email --- no big deal at all.

Today I go to check my flight to make sure that the times are still good and find they've changed my reservation number (but the flights are the same) but they've made changes to my name which I'm pretty sure will mess me up at check in/security/US customs -- this change they couldn't quite bother to notify me about. No problem --- I figure I'll call and get it fixed. Nope ---- if your flight doesn't leave in the next 72 hours you can't even get through to the call center. So basically they mess up my reservation but don't want to provide proper service.

We usually fly Westjet but for this trip the flight times were better with AC so I went with that. Pretty unhappy with that choice right now. I sent an email but am not super happy with AC right now.

Booked my flight back in January 2019 for a December 2019 trip. There were a few slight changes to flight times over the past few months for which I received notification of by email --- no big deal at all.

Today I go to check my flight to make sure that the times are still good and find they've changed my reservation number (but the flights are the same) but they've made changes to my name which I'm pretty sure will mess me up at check in/security/US customs -- this change they couldn't quite bother to notify me about. No problem --- I figure I'll call and get it fixed. Nope ---- if your flight doesn't leave in the next 72 hours you can't even get through to the call center. So basically they mess up my reservation but don't want to provide proper service.

We usually fly Westjet but for this trip the flight times were better with AC so I went with that. Pretty unhappy with that choice right now. I sent an email but am not super happy with AC right now.
That is extremely bizzarre and more than a tad troubling for you I'm sure! I know they had a ton of problems with a recent migration to a new system and there have been similar complaints to yours as well as for people who were in the middle of a trip.. go to check in for flight home and POOF wrong name attached to reservation. I'm not sure if you'd have any luck but I've used FB messenger in the past to contact all kinds of companies, including WJ and it tends to get a quick response with a suggestion of how to further solve my problem.

I am flying to my hometown (to Victoria) on December 26, and I just tried to access my reservation online and am getting an error message that either my booking reference or last name aren't valid. So frustrating. I tried calling, but they won't take your call if your flight isn't within 3 days. Stupid f'ing system "upgrade" they did last week is my guess.

Just an update to my original post. AC replied to the case I created through their online form and said that while the name doesn't appear correctly online they verified that it is correct in their system and that there should be no issues at the airport. My flight is in 2 weeks so I'm printing that reply and taking it with me to the airport just in case.

It does sound like other people are having much bigger issues than I did (especially if there are multiple carriers on their tickets) so I feel relatively lucky. Reading the visitor posts on AC's facebook seems to indicate that the system upgrade they did last week was indeed the cause of some big issues for some travelers and that their customer service channels are being overwhelmed.

Chickinvic, if you still can't get through on the phone submit the webform to create a case. They answered me within about 72 hours through that channel. Plus I like having the case number and response in writing.

Just an update to my original post. AC replied to the case I created through their online form and said that while the name doesn't appear correctly online they verified that it is correct in their system and that there should be no issues at the airport. My flight is in 2 weeks so I'm printing that reply and taking it with me to the airport just in case.

It does sound like other people are having much bigger issues than I did (especially if there are multiple carriers on their tickets) so I feel relatively lucky. Reading the visitor posts on AC's facebook seems to indicate that the system upgrade they did last week was indeed the cause of some big issues for some travelers and that their customer service channels are being overwhelmed.

Chickinvic, if you still can't get through on the phone submit the webform to create a case. They answered me within about 72 hours through that channel. Plus I like having the case number and response in writing.

I did fill in the online form. Haven't heard from them yet.

Air Canada just revamped their ENTIRE reservation system and it's been quite a gong show. They should fix it, but they're prioritizing flights leaving in the next few days first. - Agent

Air Canada just revamped their ENTIRE reservation system and it's been quite a gong show. They should fix it, but they're prioritizing flights leaving in the next few days first. - Agent
I bet you wished you were able to call in sick for the entire week if I'm reading this correctly :P

Funny, I have no success with Westjet. Can’t stand flying with them when I have no other choice. They are incapable of keeping to a posted schedule.

I love Westjet. I will only fly Air Canada if it's significantly cheaper or the flight times are significantly better. We've always had much better service from Westjet.

I live in PEI and always flew WJ whenever I could. They have completely changed schedules on me long after I booked and more then once, eliminating direct flights to MCO requiring an overnight somewhere, and from fall to spring, the only flights leave after 6 pm meaning you can’t really get anywhere except direct to Toronto on the same day, not to mention they only fly three times a week. Prices are also very high too. I know they were bought out. Maybe that’s got something to do with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!