Don't Pet the Sweaty Things. An Aug Solo Birthday Trip. Updated 12/4!!

Pluto0809

DIS Veteran
Don't Pet the Sweaty Things

Howdy folks! Once again welcome to yet another of my TRs. This is the third one for 2018 alone! I’m still working on the January one, I just have one more day to write on that one. I finished up the February one a bit ago. Links to both those TRs plus all my past ones are in my signature.

Most people know me by now but just in case there are any new followers out there, here’s a bit of information about me.

My name is Ariana and I live a little north of Atlanta, GA. I am obviously Disney obsessed and travel there often. Each trip this year has been with a different group. This time I went solo in order to celebrate my 45th birthday. I have always wanted to be in a park on my actual birthday and since I had an AP this year it seemed like a good time to fulfill that bucket list item. This was my first time going at the hottest time of the year. You’ll have to stick around to see how I survived in the heat because it was definitely scorching hot while I was there. Here’s one of the very few Photo Pass pictures I got this trip.

I was very lazy with the Photo Pass pictures this trip for some reason. I think it was mainly the heat, I didn’t really want to have a lot of sweaty pictures of myself. Most times the lines for the photos were either really long or right out in the scorching sun.

A little more about me before we move on to arrival day. I am married and my husband, Jim does come to Disney with me occasionally. He likes Disney but he thinks I’m nuts for wanting to go multiple times a year. He did come with me in January and will be on the trip in October and he’s complaining a bit about two trips for him in one year. But I wasn’t letting him out of the October trip because my Mom wants him along so we can do family photos. I do have a PTR going if you want to read about the upcoming October trip.

We don’t have kids but we do have four furry creatures. Say hello to Ellie, Sierra, Buddy and Remy.

This trip was a very short one, I flew out on Wednesday, August 8th and flew home on Sunday, August 12th. I had a ton of stuff packed into those three days and as you will see, not everything went exactly as planned.

As for the report title, that phrase kept repeating itself in my head all three days as I tried in vain to not brush up against all the sweaty people. I swear that a lot of the people that go to Disney have no concept of personal space!

Up Next: The Travel Day from Hell

The Travel Day from Hell

Wednesday, August 8th actually started out like any normal Wednesday for me. I did get up about a half hour early at 5:30 am so I would have enough time to finish up my last minute packing and drag my suitcase and carry ons down to the car. Jim would have helped with that but he leaves for work at 5:30 am. I kissed my doggies goodbye and then headed to work where I spent about 6 hours getting everything cleared off my desk for the next few days.

I headed out the door at 2 pm to drive to the airport. This was a bit too early to leave since my flight was at 7:55 pm but leaving any later than 2 would risk getting stuck in Atlanta rush hour traffic. I did hit some construction traffic along the way but managed to make it to the offsite parking place that I use by 3:20 pm. A bus actually followed me to my parking space so I had no wait at all before heading to the airport.

I ended up getting to the airport so early that I couldn’t check my bag yet. You can only check your bag 4 hours early for a flight on Southwest and I was right at 4 hours 10 minutes. There was no one in line so I did go up and talk to an employee about getting on the earlier Orlando flight at 6:30 pm. Unfortunately it was going to cost a butt load of points to change flights. I booked the flight with points so I had to use them if I wanted to change.

Instead I waited out the few minutes till I could check my bag and then headed back through security. Security was a breeze, I love having TSA Pre-Check! It wasn’t even 4:30 by the time I got through but I was starving and there was a Carrabba’s Italian Grill near my gate. I decided to sit down and have a relaxing dinner before my flight.

I was seated right away but I think I sat there for 10 minutes before someone came up and took my order. Service was extremely slow but I had plenty of time before my flight.

I started off the trip right with a glass of Blackberry Sangria.

I ordered the Spaghetti and Meatballs which came with a salad.

About half way through eating, I noticed this little button hiding behind some stuff on the table.

Apparently that’s why it took so long to get waited on, guess I was supposed to push the button to get service. This kind of irked me a bit because if I’m going to do a nice sit down meal, I want to be waited on, I don’t want to have to push a button to get served.

I finished up and then headed towards my gate. I stopped along the way and bought a candy bar for later and also a pack of gum. That spaghetti had been very garlicy! When I got to my gate, I discovered that my flight had been delayed a half hour. Looking around, it seemed like there must have been some bad weather across the country because every single flight near me was delayed.

Right about 8:00 pm when we were supposed to be taking off, they finally started boarding us on to the plane. Southwest does not have assigned seating but I always do Early Bird check in so I get on the plane with the first group of people. I quickly found a window seat and settled in with a book for the flight. Just about the time we were all loaded in and they were ready to push back from the gate, I looked out the window to see this.

We were stuck at the gate until that passed. It was raining and blowing so hard at one point that the whole plane was rocking. It was during this time that I got my room text. I had been stressing about it because I really didn’t want to have to go to the front desk since it would be late when I got to my room. I was in the 101 Dalmatians section, building 1, first floor, room 1709.

Finally about 8:30, we pushed back from that gate and headed out to the runway where we crept forward a few feet, stopped, crept forward a few feet, stopped, etc. This when on for the next hour and a half! We ended up taking off at 10:07 pm, over two hours after I had boarded the plane.

The rest of the flight went smoothly and we landed at 11:20 pm. I had not used my bag tag so before heading to the bus, I had to head over to the A side and pick up my bag. This seemed to take forever because I was really tired at this point and just so ready to be in my room.

I got my bag and then headed back up to cross over to the B side.

Everything in the airport was closed up for the night.

I waited in a short line for the Magic Express which once again seemed to go very slowly. I got on the bus quickly after getting past the first check point but once again we sat for a bit till other people joined us. I was joined in my seat by a nice lady who was there with her family and we chatted the whole way. This was her first time back to Disney since she was a little girl so she asked me some questions as we rode along. Of course we had to stop at Coronado Springs, All Star Sports and All Star Music before getting to All Star Movies where I would be staying. It was a little before 1 am when I made it to my room.

Being the good DISer that I am, I still took a few minutes to take room pictures for this TR. The rooms at All Star Movies are in the process of being renovated. Unfortunately I ended up with an old room but other than the carpet being a bit wore (which didn’t bother me at all), the room was just fine. I will say it is good that they are adding more outlets to the rooms. I’m planning on bringing a power strip in October when we have three of us staying in the same room at All Star Music.

I unpacked quickly and then headed to bed. I’m pretty sure it was right around 1:30 am when I turned out the lights. My plans for the next day (or actually that day really since it was well past midnight) was to head to Magic Kingdom for 9 am rope drop so I set my alarm accordingly. You’ll have to stay tuned to see if I made it out of bed in time the next morning!

Up Next: Happy Birthday to Me!

Wow...I think I might make page 1 on 2 different TRs in one week.
There's either a rift in the space time continuum or the apocalypse is starting.

Hi there.. Haven't been here in a long time... Looking around...
Looks the same..

Try to stay around to read this!

Yes! Not far behind.

—ugh hate reading about troubles flying out. I live about 1.5 hours from Atlanta but we have always driven since we are a family of four and it’s just so much cheaper but I went solo in January and seriously considered flying but I didn’t want to do something different all alone so I drove. It’s so hard driving 7-8 hours all by yourself! If I ever go solo again I definitely think I’m flying.

I spied a Mo! Haven’t seen her in a minute. Hope things are good there!

Last edited:

Can't wait to hear all about your trip.
I can't believe you sat on the ground that long after leaving the gate. Air travel has been so sucky this whole summer. I think my husband's flight have been delayed (one was even cancelled after they taxied away from the gate) more times this summer than the last 5 years combined. My girls flew for the first time by themselves last saturday. Instead of landing at 4ish, they landed after 10. Southwest actually gave them flight credit to use on another flight.

Hi Ariana... I found your Birthday trip TR. :stitch:
Looking forward to seeing how your first park day/Birthday went.
Hope it was better than travel day!

Of course I am joining in!

Wow, what a long travel day for you :( Stinks that you couldn't switch to the earlier flight! Being stuck on the plane for so long must have been annoying. But at least you finally got there!!

Following along. What a looooong travel day. But worth it , of course . We live north of Atlanta also - the 85 side. I have only driven to WDW

Here I am :)

Isn't it so weird getting into MCO so late?! We have only done that once, and if I can help it, we won't ever do it again!

Joining in for another great trip report!

Hi Ryan! Thanks for joining in!

Wow...I think I might make page 1 on 2 different TRs in one week.
There's either a rift in the space time continuum or the apocalypse is starting.

You did make it on the first page!

Hi there.. Haven't been here in a long time... Looking around...
Looks the same..

Try to stay around to read this!

Hi Mo! So glad to see you back here on the DIS! I do hope you will be able to stick around and read.

Yes! Not far behind.

—ugh hate reading about troubles flying out. I live about 1.5 hours from Atlanta but we have always driven since we are a family of four and it’s just so much cheaper but I went solo in January and seriously considered flying but I didn’t want to do something different all alone so I drove. It’s so hard driving 7-8 hours all by yourself! If I ever go solo again I definitely think I’m flying.

I spied a Mo! Haven’t seen her in a minute. Hope things are good there!

Yep, you got in right at the start!

I could make it to Disney in 7 or 8 hours if I drove but I really am not a fan of driving so I usually fly. I had enough stress just driving to the airport that afternoon!

Mo has been very busy but I'm hoping she will stick around for a bit!

Checking in so I can notifications when you update...

:welcome: Thanks for stopping by.

Can't wait to hear all about your trip.
I can't believe you sat on the ground that long after leaving the gate. Air travel has been so sucky this whole summer. I think my husband's flight have been delayed (one was even cancelled after they taxied away from the gate) more times this summer than the last 5 years combined. My girls flew for the first time by themselves last saturday. Instead of landing at 4ish, they landed after 10. Southwest actually gave them flight credit to use on another flight.

My husband always tries to warn me about flying in the afternoon/evening during the summer but I never listen. I got a few "I told you so's" this trip. Atlanta is particularly bad with all the afternoon thunderstorms we get. The flight for my next trip is at 6 am so hopefully I won't run into these kind of issues for that trip!

Hi Ariana... I found your Birthday trip TR. :stitch:
Looking forward to seeing how your first park day/Birthday went.
Hope it was better than travel day!

Hi! Thanks for joining in. The first day was awesome although as you will see, a bit different than I originally planned.

Of course I am joining in!

Wow, what a long travel day for you :( Stinks that you couldn't switch to the earlier flight! Being stuck on the plane for so long must have been annoying. But at least you finally got there!!

Hi Alexis! It was a rough start to the trip. I kind of regretted not spending the points even though it was a lot of them. I might even have gone to MK that night for EMH since it was open til 1 am!

I love reading solo reports!

Happy belated birthday!

Love the Slinky shirt!

Thanks for the birthday wishes and thanks for joining in! The Slinky shirt was made by a friend.

Following along. What a looooong travel day. But worth it , of course . We live north of Atlanta also - the 85 side. I have only driven to WDW

I'm off of 575 in the Woodstock area. I did do the drive to WDW one time but I really hate to drive long distances so I just fly now.

Here I am :)

Isn't it so weird getting into MCO so late?! We have only done that once, and if I can help it, we won't ever do it again!

Hi Jackie! It was definitely weird getting in so late. I was so tired at that point that I wanted to cry seeing the Earport closed. I always walk through there on the way to the DME to get a first glance at the merchandise. It really sucked not getting to do that this trip.

Happy Birthday to Me!

Somehow, when my alarm went off at 7:30 am I managed to drag myself out of bed. I had slept horribly the night before which didn’t help much. My room was super close to the main building which was nice (I took pictures around the resort later that night, I’ll post those eventually) but it also seemed to be on a main thruway. Even though I didn’t get to bed until very late there was still a lot of traffic because MK had been open until 1 am on Wednesday.

I had brought my usual box of cheerios and Mickey bowl with me to eat in the room but I hadn’t been able to buy milk the night before. I ended up eating a few handfuls dry that morning to hold me over till lunch time because I didn’t want to get up early enough to have breakfast at the food court.

I took this next picture at 8:24 am right before I headed out the door. I sent it on to my Mom and she told me I need to smile more in selfies so I tried to work on that during this trip. Boy do I look tired in this one!

I made it to the bus stop and there was actually a MK bus loading at that moment. It was packed to the gills but I could have made it on as a solo traveler. But I chose to wait till the next bus because standing on the buses can sometimes make me nauseous. I figured another one would be coming shortly and it was about 7 minutes before the next bus. I took this next photo a few minutes before 9 am as we passed by.

My first order of business once I got through the gates was to pick up a birthday button since I didn’t get to do it the night before. The line at Guest Services was out the door so I went into the Emporium which was deserted and got one there. The CM asked me if I wanted my name on it and then proceeded to hand me a sharpie to do it myself.

Equipped with my new button, I headed down Main Street, taking very crooked castle pictures along the way.

I hung a left and headed towards Adventureland. They were working on the bridge at that time and they had temporary bridge on top that was much narrower than the regular bridge.

I made it to the Jungle Cruise about 9:20 and got in line. Well, that is if you could call this a line.

I basically walked right onto the boat and was soon headed into the jungle. Our Skipper was very funny this morning (or me being tired made it funnier than it really was) and told several jokes I hadn’t heard before. Of course I don’t remember any of them at this point.

After surviving my trip through the Jungle, I headed off to sail with some Pirates. The wait time was about 5 minutes.

This was my first time seeing the new auction scene so I put my camera away and just enjoyed the ride. And surprisingly, I rather liked the new scene. I think having something new and different to see on the ride was refreshing. I rode it two more times this trip and still liked it so I wasn’t just the novelty. Oh, and I also noticed this time around that the mermaid skeleton was removed from the first scene. I didn’t realize they were doing that when they did the renovations.

And here I am looking super tired and glassy eyed on the ride. Of course this photo is at such an awkward spot, most people look half out of it or bored out of their minds.

I was getting really hungry at this point and wanted a Mickey ice cream sandwich but none of the food carts in that area were open yet. Instead of eating, I headed to BTMR to use my first FP of the day.

It hadn’t been too bad heat wise up to this point but after BTMR I started to feel the rising temperatures. I really wanted that ice cream but the stand still wasn’t open so I did the most logically thing to do at 10:20 am on an uncrowded MK morning. I ducked into the Country Bear Jamboree along with 10 other people. Yep, there was a total of 11 of us in the theater.

So, quick back story here. We are going to the Halloween Party in October and at the time of my trip had not decided on costumes. Mom really wanted us to dress as the Country Bears so she asked me to take some good pictures of the bears so we could see their outfits. We ended up not going with that idea but because of that, you get to see lots of up close pictures of the bears.

In order to get those pictures, I took a seat down towards the front and off to the side a bit. The rest of the huge audience sat near the top of the theater so I was able to click away without blocking anyone’s view. Here was my unzoomed view.

I sat towards the left side because well, Big Al of course! And here’s the pictures from the show.

After the show was over, the ice cream stand was finally open! I was waited on by a very nice CM named John. He spotted my Big Al shirt and bag and we had quite the conversation about the Country Bears. He mentioned to me that they wander around Fronterland in the mornings but my timing must have been off because I never saw them out and about.

I ate my ice cream quickly because it was melting fast and then headed to my 2nd FP of the day, Splash Mountain. If you’ve read my past TRs you will know that I have a love/hate relationship with this ride. I love the theming and how detailed the ride is but I really hate getting wet. But I figured why not on a 90 degree day. I’m glad I did have the FP because I would not have wanted to wait in the regular line on this day.

I asked for the back seat and took off on my trip through the brier patch. It was funny because the Mom in front of me didn’t want to get too wet either so every time we came near splashing water we would both squeal a bit and duck. Over all, I only got some minor splashes. Normally on this ride I get soaked no matter what seat I’m in so a few splashes was nice this time. After the big drop, I did take out my camera and try to snap a few pictures but only two sort of came out.

And here’s my ride photo. I was really loving life at this point!

Up Next: A Birthday Lunch Fit for a Beast

Love early mornings at MK. I agree that the Pirates photo is so weird. People don't realize there is a photo there.

Love your Big Al shirt by the way. I have the Mk 45th Country Bear shirt.

Awesome Splash ride photo!

Wowza. I cannot believe you got up and out that early! Good you waited for the next bus bad starting your day with being car sick.
I cannot believe the CM gave you a marker to do it yourself. I LOVED doing the birthday buttons and did fun stuff with the birthday person!

Happy you didn't get that wet on SM. I adore Splash. its a favorite!

Change with pirates is inevitable.. With all the movies the original ride is LONG GONE.
At least the red head is still there.
And you knew where the photo was!!! Love you just staring at the camera!!! HA HA

Love early mornings at MK. I agree that the Pirates photo is so weird. People don't realize there is a photo there.

Love your Big Al shirt by the way. I have the Mk 45th Country Bear shirt.

Awesome Splash ride photo!

This is new since I went last... where exactly IS the photo?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!