Don't We Need More Ice Cream? - A F&G Trip Report - The End. Period. Paragraph. 1/27

Disney had just started a program with CMs dressed in blue to be a new sort of “helper” to give people information if they needed it.

I hadn't heard about that, but it makes sense.

The line for HM had jumped to 115 minutes.

:scared1::faint: So glad you were able to avoid that mess!

After our little cruise through the Caribbean, my parents wanted a Mickey Bar. The Ice cream thing is a recurring feature....

It's contagious!

Then just as we passed the hub, the parade broke up and crowds starting streaming down Main Street. I ducked into Casey's, my parents were like, “What????” And I told them to trust me.

I feel like they shouldn't even question you at this point.

Somehow the lens got switched from Auto Focus to Manual, so most of my pictures came out blurry.

Oh, I hate that! It used to happen all the time on our old camera lens. Worse, you couldn't tell when you looked at the photo on the view screen. It was too small to see that it was blurry.

We took a couple pictures with Cinderella, the only picture with all of us in it of the trip. Who you lookin’ at there Fran?

:rotfl2:And where is her hand going?

Dad clearly is not really onboard with this whole character photo thing.

:rolleyes1

I feel like I could cut and paste this sentence into my own TR's.

Everyone but me wanted a Hot Chocolate. It makes me slightly sick and sometimes causes verps and no one wants that!

Yikes. Who knew chocolate could be so deadly!

That must have been tiring for you.

Well let's just say that with all the food (and ice cream) we ate, I didnt gain any weight on that trip.

Nope! I love HM... but not enough to stand in that line!

Me neither, 20 minutes is tops for me.

Yeah, that was... disconcerting.

I wonder if they've finally filled it back up.

That's one's really tough. You're moving and never in a straight line and it's so dark in there.

A lot if times my camera won't even make the shot cause the auto focus doesn't know what to focus on.

:sad2: I hope they get rid of that and replace it with... anything else.

:laughing:

Ah! You've done that before. :)

And I will do it again! In just about 8 weeks!

I've done that. A few too many times, actually. I find (on my camera) it's really easy to do when switching lenses.

I wasn't even swtching lenses. :sad2:

I had to Google "verp".... no. No one wants that.

Yeah! I caught this one on time! :cheer2:

Yay for you! :cheer2: I'm the one who's behind now!

Good grief! That line!

No. Just no.

That one came out pretty good. I never tried to take pics in there, you might have given me an idea here. ;)

I try to take pics in all kinds of difficult places!

I am sorry for those poor unfortunate souls (wrong movie, I know), but that is just too long to wait for that ride!

Wrong movie maybe, but that's a good one!

There should always be time for a Mickey Bar. :goodvibes

Except for me. I didn't want to spoil my dinner and strawberry soup.

This made me smile - sounds like FP choices I would make.

I had to keep it mellow for my parents.

We have NEVER eaten there. But it was nice seeing you enjoy the food and characters.

Ever since Fran found out about the Strawberry Soup, she requests to eat there every trip.

Tell me about it! Has happened to me ever so often. I sometimes manage to reset my camera (which is quite a few steps to "set" in the first place) just by putting it back in its little bag.

That might be why I don't like to keep mine in a bag.

That's a great shot!

Thanks! And that was from the phone, one of the few non blurry ones.

Gummi Bears for dessert. :goodvibes What are the creme puffs filled with? Vanilla custard or whipped cream?

I believe it was vanilla custard. They had a giant bowl of gummi bears on the buffet. It was hard for me to resist!

Now, that's much more my kind of dessert! Good choice, Alison. :thumbsup2

This is one of my favorites there. I always like to end my meals with it.

At least he's smiling. ;)

True!

Can you hear the music at this spot? I hope so as for me it is just such a huge part of the fireworks.

Yes, they pipe the music in on a speaker system.

Well let's just say that with all the food (and ice cream) we ate, I didnt gain any weight on that trip.
That happens. :)
I wonder if they've finally filled it back up.
I'll find out in just over a month. :)
A lot if times my camera won't even make the shot cause the auto focus doesn't know what to focus on.
I've had to switch it to manual. ::yes::
And I will do it again! In just about 8 weeks!
What are your dates?
I'm thinking we're just going to miss each other. :(

Clearly you're a seasoned vet!!!

Thanks!

as it should be!

The ice cream theme seems like a winner around here.

Uh oh... Fran alone in the Emporium. That's gonna be hard on the credit card!

Luckily there wasn't a lot of merch that interested her.

The reason you went there to begin with, right?

::yes:: yes it was!

Hey, he's there and looking at the camera. He's at least being a good sport!

True. But we did have coerce him into the picture.

At least you got to see the electric water pageant and fireworks. I can imagine how cold it must have been along the water!

It definitely was. We were not expecting such cool temperatures in the end of March.

Neat idea- WDW is so big that I bet there are lot of people that have no clue

We've been going once or twice a year since 2007, so I've got a pretty good handle on how to navigate. Plus I do my homework by reading other's TRs. I can't imagine how confused someone who hasn't done their research might be.

Madness, just madness

I know. Seriously.

Great theme IMO :)

Seems to be popular with this crowd!

Errr a little "un"magical

I hope that situation has been fixed by now.

When I saw where you were going, I immediately thought "oh I hope they haven't changed Fran's strawberry soup!

I think they'd have to close down and rename/retheme the place if they did that.

that looks like great bread pudding, nice and fresh and hopefully without raisins? I've had it made with croissants - yummm!

It's the best bread pudding. No dead grapes at all!

Yeah, he's not a big picture or character guy.

Love fireworks- I wonder which ones they will have in Dec in DL...

Hopefully the same ones they have now. They're really good.

Atta girl! Late night vino, why not?

:confused3

this is really neat- hope to see it some day.

It's pretty low tech, but still cool to see.

Ugh, parade trappings. I hate when that happens!

Well it is nice that it gets so many people off the attractions, the HM line after the parade was evidence of that.

LOL!! You know you're an expert when....

:laughing: Good one!

Tough ride FOR SURE!

I'm bringing my fast lens in October.

It was super weird! Not at all what we're all used to in those views!

I sure hope it's been fixed.

I have all 4 of the mini ones that I now use for my lunch bags. Although I seemed to have misplaced my DHS one and will have to buy another one. Sucks cuz I think the price was raised since they were $1. :(

I can see how they would be good sized lunch bags!

and again.....

But this parade is lame....

One of these days I'm going to try this!

If nothing else, I can send you the recipe. It's easy to make.

I hadn't heard about that, but it makes sense.

I wonder if it was a test thing and if they are still doing it.

:scared1::faint: So glad you were able to avoid that mess!

Me too!

It's contagious!

Except for me, unfortunately. :sad2:

I feel like they shouldn't even question you at this point.

I know. Right? :confused3

Oh, I hate that! It used to happen all the time on our old camera lens. Worse, you couldn't tell when you looked at the photo on the view screen. It was too small to see that it was blurry.

Luckily for us it only happens sometimes.

:rotfl2:And where is her hand going

:eek:

:rolleyes1

I feel like I could cut and paste this sentence into my own TR's.

:rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl:

Yikes. Who knew chocolate could be so deadly!

How can something so good, be so bad? :sad2:

I'll find out in just over a month. :)

But then you're so secretive about things, I'll find out for myself before you tell us! :snooty:

:lmao:

I've had to switch it to manual. ::yes::

And then I get blurry shots. Can't win.

What are your dates?
I'm thinking we're just going to miss each other. :(

I think you're there around the same time as Liesa in September. I'm there the first weekend in October.

It coordinates with this.

http://lgba2019.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/LGBA-Concert-1920x1080-01-1024x576.jpg

So I've sort of fallen off the grid again slightly. I need to get moving on this TR so I can have it wrapped up in the next month and a half. However life has been crazy lately, yet again. One of our apartments went vacant at the beginning of July. It's on the market again, so hopefully it will rent soon. But a little over three weeks ago we realized that we weren't going to have enough liquid cash to make it through August, so we did what any good DINKs (Well we only technically have one income, so we're more like SINKs) with a free and clear building would do, we called our mortgage broker! He is a miracle worker. Not only are we getting enough money to pay of a loan on a different building, and our recently purchased car, but he's getting us a wad of cash for some Capital improvements on our buildings, another new car, and a buffer for some fun stuff! Plus he refinanced our house and for all this our monthly payments have been reduced by $500 per month! For anyone who has taken out a mortgage or refinanced, you know what a pain in the butt it can be, and our situation turns out to be even more complicated. So we have been running around crazy trying to get this completed. And to complicate matters even further, two days into the process my computer screen cracked. Hopefully the hard drive is OK, I bought the protection program, and the box to ship it back to them arrived today, but there was no way I could go this long without a computer, so we bought me a new one at Costco a couple weeks ago. This one is a really powerful one. The last time I did a Carbonite restore it took three weeks. This only took three days, so I’ve been up and running, but playing catch up like crazy, just on everyday life, so DIS time has slipped. Also, I still have to resolve my PhotoShop issue. It seems in June they instituted new pricing and have moved to a subscription basis like Microsoft Office and the price is a little hard to swallow. But since we can write it off as a business expense. I suppose I will end up biting the bullet and just going with it.

Also we have had a few days out at Disney, with friends, with just ourselves and that takes recovery time as well!

Then there is that whole pesky vacant apartment thing again. It never ends. We just put the sign up for the one that went vacant July 1st and we have two more coming up vacant at the end of this month. Thank goodness for the new mortgage!

Then we have another trip coming up in less than 2 months. FP have been made and DISmeets are in full planning mode, not to mention four DISmeets coming up locally throughout the rest of the year! So I’ve been very busy in planning all over the spectrum. But I need to have this TR completed before the next one starts.

So let's get this TR wrapping up!

Day 8

Today I woke up about 6:30 AM, caught up on my phone and played on my tablet for a bit before taking a tub. The rain was coming down fairly steadily, it wasn't too intense, but it was more than just a mist.

I had a lot to do today before we were to go to AK, we needed to start the process of packing up the Nautilus and other souvenirs and then figure out the logistics of shipping it. I got dressed and I put together the box we had bought at Home Depot. I told Fran I needed her help in filling it, but she was still asleep.

Today was my day to be a short order cook, so I made the rest of the bacon and prepped everything else. Once my parents were awake I convinced Fran to get up, and we had breakfast.

Dad's

Fran's, you can tell by all the empty fake sugar packets in the background. She must have needed the extra oomph today since she was actually drinking coffee (with too much cream and fake sugar, as she puts it.)

Mine

Not sure what Mom had for breakfast, probably her usual oatmeal.

I don't know what was wrong with me, but I could only eat half my breakfast. Fran happily took my bacon and English Muffin and made a bacon muffin sandwich.

Then we filled the HD box with the various mugs, T-shirts and other souvies we had collected. I forgot to plug in my scooter the night before, so the battery was still charging since I only plugged it in that morning. I took Fran’s scooter to the Convention Center on a reconnaissance mission. I found the Business Center and got all the necessary information on how to streamline the shipping of our package which would be tomorrow. The rain had let up and at this point it was barely a mist.

When I got back to the room, everyone was still getting ready, so I put a few more things in the suitcases.

Soon we were off to AK. After going through security and the tapstiles, I let my Mom ride the scooter. We stopped inside the entrance and watched Devine for a bit.

We headed to our first FP, Flight of Passage. The rain had backed off for now and we didn’t need to protect the scooters with bags on our tillers.

We entered Pandora just as our FP opened.

We left my parents at the ride entrance and I parked the scooter at the end of the ride and covered the tiller with one trash bag. I covered part of the seat and the bag on back with another. The trash bag wasn't big enough to cover the whole seat, but I put my cushion vertical against the back of the seat to protect it, which was a good move. It came down pretty hard while we were on the ride and Fran had taken cover in the gift shop.

My parents and I went on the ride, Fran passed, and everyone liked it. My Dad actually made the comment, "Now that's a ride!"

While in the queue my parents had indicated that they were hungry so I started pulling up menus on my phone, they didn't like the choices at Sautuli Canteen. But were good with Harambe Market which was convenient since our next FP was the Safari.

After the FoP, my Dad took over on the scooter and we took the trail from Pandora to Harambe.

If I didn't say it earlier my parents are way into birding and all trip my mom was identifying birds and even reporting them to her birding website. They saw this Green Heron which they seemed to think was sorta special.

While my parents were admiring all the birds, I was enjoying all the plant life and took some Macro shots along the trail.

Soon we reached Harambe.

We found a table which my parent's guarded while Fran and I ordered the food.

At Harambe Market my Dad got the chicken bowl.

Mom got the Chicken Gyro.

Fran and I split the Beef and Lamb Gyro. It was pretty messy, but good and hit the spot.

It was served with Cole Slaw and that was way too spicy for any of us to eat.

I'm going to wrap this up here while I sort out my Photoshop situation, since I was in the middle of editing my safari photos when the old computer died. Hope to be back soon! Only a day and half left to wrap up on this TR!

But then you're so secretive about things, I'll find out for myself before you tell us! :snooty:

And then I get blurry shots. Can't win.
<sigh> there's that.
I think you're there around the same time as Liesa in September. I'm there the first weekend in October.
Yes. We're hoping to meet up, but haven't finalized when, yet.
I can't see the photo, but get the gist. Are you guys playing? Or just watching/listening?
Ohhh replies = an update coming... popcorn::
My thoughts, too. :)

Ohhh replies = an update coming... popcorn::

::yes::

I can't see the photo, but get the gist. Are you guys playing? Or just watching/listening?

We dont spend $1500 in airfare, nearly $1K in hotel rooms just to listen to a band concert! We always get a little extra sightseeing in wherever the conference takes place. It just happens that this conference takes place somewhere I travel a lot!

We dont spend $1500 in airfare, nearly $1K in hotel rooms just to listen to a band concert! We always get a little extra sightseeing in wherever the conference takes place. It just happens that this conference takes place somewhere I travel a lot!
Niiiiiice. :)

Not only are we getting enough money to pay of a loan on a different building, and our recently purchased car, but he's getting us a wad of cash for some Capital improvements on our buildings, another new car, and a buffer for some fun stuff! Plus he refinanced our house and for all this our monthly payments have been reduced by $500 per month!
Whoa! How did she manage that???
two days into the process my computer screen cracked
Oh, no. :(
The last time I did a Carbonite restore it took three weeks. This only took three days
Huh. That's a huge difference.
It seems in June they instituted new pricing and have moved to a subscription basis like Microsoft Office and the price is a little hard to swallow.
Sent you a PM.
Today I woke up about 6:30 AM
That's almost sleeping in, for you. ;)
I put together the box we had bought at Home Depot.
They sell boxes at Home Depot???
(On second thought... maybe that's only in the US. I'll have to look.)
She must have needed the extra oomph today since she was actually drinking coffee
I'd need lots of extra oomph to drink coffee.
I don't know what was wrong with me, but I could only eat half my breakfast. Fran happily took my bacon
Someone tries to take my bacon, they're gonna be drawing back a hand with a fork stuck in it.
We stopped inside the entrance and watched Devine for a bit.
Lucky! I haven't seen her in several years.
We left my parents at the ride entrance and I parked the scooter at the end of the ride and covered the tiller with one trash bag. I covered part of the seat and the bag on back with another.
Smart. Do you always bring bags, just in case it rains?
My parents and I went on the ride, Fran passed, and everyone liked it. My Dad actually made the comment, "Now that's a ride!"
Glad everyone liked it! No one felt queasy afterwards?
If I didn't say it earlier my parents are way into birding and all trip my mom was identifying birds and even reporting them to her birding website. They saw this Green Heron which they seemed to think was sorta special.
Cool!
At Harambe Market my Dad got the chicken bowl.

Fran and I split the Beef and Lamb Gyro. It was pretty messy, but good and hit the spot.

It was served with Cole Slaw and that was way too spicy for any of us to eat.
I'm so glad they changed the menu there. It was horrid before.

So I've sort of fallen off the grid again slightly.
It happens. Looks like you've had a lot going on! I'm glad you managed to work out the money aspect favorably and I wish you luck in getting your vacancy filled!
She must have needed the extra oomph today since she was actually drinking coffee (with too much cream and fake sugar, as she puts it.)
Whatever it takes to choke the coffee down, I guess?
Well, I'm glad they enjoyed it! Seems like that must be a pretty strong endorsement from your dad!
I don't know how special it is, but she clearly must know! I'm glad she got to enjoy it!

So I've sort of fallen off the grid again slightly.
No worries, you've been busy..we are always around for when you get on here for updates :)
Then there is that whole pesky vacant apartment thing again. It never ends. We just put the sign up for the one that went vacant July 1st and we have two more coming up vacant at the end of this month. Thank goodness for the new mortgage!
Glad everything is sorted, fingers crossed the apartments rent quick!
Then we have another trip coming up in less than 2 months. FP have been made and DISmeets are in full planning mode, not to mention four DISmeets coming up locally throughout the rest of the year!

Lots of Disney planned- always a good thing 👍

Glad she's still around

They saw this Green Heron which they seemed to think was sorta special.

I always thought of Herons as errr big birds- shows how much I know

Yum those look good!

Looking forward to the next update, fingers crossed for your computer issues

Fran's, you can tell by all the empty fake sugar packets in the background. She must have needed the extra oomph today since she was actually drinking coffee (with too much cream and fake sugar, as she puts it.)
Sounds like me when I drink tea! My mom says its just flavored sugar water!

Then we have another trip coming up in less than 2 months. FP have been made and DISmeets are in full planning mode, not to mention four DISmeets coming up locally throughout the rest of the year! So I’ve been very busy in planning all over the spectrum. But I need to have this TR completed before the next one starts.

Yes, Let's!! Coming up soon!

As is our visit!
z19FG0319AK04.jpg

WHOA! :D

Nice shot! And, I like this area. One of the few remaining areas in the parks that actually have nice places to sit anymore.

Sigh.... I never tire of that view!

They saw this Green Heron which they seemed to think was sorta special.

It is. Much less common than the Blue.

While my parents were admiring all the birds, I was enjoying all the plant life and took some Macro shots along the trail.

And they are all lovely too!! Nicely done!

Plus he refinanced our house and for all this our monthly payments have been reduced by $500 per month!

Wow! That's a lot of cash back in your pockets. Nice work.

You sound incredibly busy! Hope you get it all sorted out.

I covered part of the seat and the bag on back with another. The trash bag wasn't big enough to cover the whole seat, but I put my cushion vertical against the back of the seat to protect it, which was a good move. It came down pretty hard while we were on the ride and Fran had taken cover in the gift shop.

I had that same issue numerous times with our stroller. It's funny how fast you become an expert at protecting it!

::yes:: Glad they liked it so much.

Only a day and half left to wrap up on this TR!

th

AK looked more damp than misty. :)

Jill in CO

:lmao: You're catching on to misty!

Whoa! How did she manage that???

This guy is a financial wizard. He has been "getting us money" out of our properties for 10 years now. When her parents died we owned all our buildings "free & clear", but think about it, we have no human children and no one in our family that we wish to leave anything to, so what benefit do we have by being mortgage free? Besides with interest on our rental properties, that is tax deductible.

Part of it was he was able to get the interest rates reduced from 5.something % to somewhere in the 3.something range. We paid off one mortgage on a building (that I never liked this particular loan), and moved it to another building. He paid off our new car, so that payment disappeared, and then the other two properties that we had financed (our house, and the duplex), he reduced the payments by several hundred dollars each, I guess mostly from lowering the interest rates and putting us back on a 30 fixed loan. We may be dead by the time they are set to be paid off, but it will be our executor's job to deal with that. In the meantime our total payments for car and mortgage have actually gone down by about a thousand dollars now as he keeps locking in lower rates. Like I said, this guy is a genius!

Huh. That's a huge difference.

This computer is much faster than that previous one.

Sent you a PM.

Thanks! As you know everything is all worked out now! :thumbsup2

That's almost sleeping in, for you. ;)

Funny, because at home, that's a time of day that I only see for potty breaks and then it's back to sleep!

They sell boxes at Home Depot???
(On second thought... maybe that's only in the US. I'll have to look.)

So did you figure it out? Our Home Depots have full on moving sections with boxes for pictures/mirrors, bubble wrap, shrink wrap, packing peanuts. Anything you need.

I'd need lots of extra oomph to drink coffee.

Someone tries to take my bacon, they're gonna be drawing back a hand with a fork stuck in it.

Well, I love her, a lot.

Lucky! I haven't seen her in several years.

It had been a while for me too.

Smart. Do you always bring bags, just in case it rains?

Yes, we have a box of trash sacks in our owner's locker, and if rain is forecast (which it usually is), we bring them along.

Glad everyone liked it! No one felt queasy afterwards?

I don't think so. At least not this time.

I'm so glad they changed the menu there. It was horrid before.

I liked the Chicken Tikka Masala, but that sausage corn dog thing was kinda icky.

It happens. Looks like you've had a lot going on! I'm glad you managed to work out the money aspect favorably and I wish you luck in getting your vacancy filled!

Still no luck on the vacancy. We may need to cut the price. But I feel a lot better now with money in my bank account!

Whatever it takes to choke the coffee down, I guess?

For me it's just a little milk, but she needs more than that.

Well, I'm glad they enjoyed it! Seems like that must be a pretty strong endorsement from your dad!

Yeah, evidently he wasn't very thrilled with most of the other rides.

I don't know how special it is, but she clearly must know! I'm glad she got to enjoy it!

Well Liesa said it was less common than a Blue Heron, so whatever that's worth!

This guy is a financial wizard. He has been "getting us money" out of our properties for 10 years now. When her parents died we owned all our buildings "free & clear", but think about it, we have no human children and no one in our family that we wish to leave anything to, so what benefit do we have by being mortgage free? Besides with interest on our rental properties, that is tax deductible.

Part of it was he was able to get the interest rates reduced from 5.something % to somewhere in the 3.something range. We paid off one mortgage on a building (that I never liked this particular loan), and moved it to another building. He paid off our new car, so that payment disappeared, and then the other two properties that we had financed (our house, and the duplex), he reduced the payments by several hundred dollars each, I guess mostly from lowering the interest rates and putting us back on a 30 fixed loan. We may be dead by the time they are set to be paid off, but it will be our executor's job to deal with that. In the meantime our total payments for car and mortgage have actually gone down by about a thousand dollars now as he keeps locking in lower rates. Like I said, this guy is a genius!
Impressive. I wouldn't have thought of that, probably.
Except... now I'm thinking... If you really don't like someone, you could put them in your will. :laughing:
Thanks! As you know everything is all worked out now! :thumbsup2
::yes::
So did you figure it out? Our Home Depots have full on moving sections with boxes for pictures/mirrors, bubble wrap, shrink wrap, packing peanuts. Anything you need.
This is funny. I was in Home Depot yesterday, getting some light bulbs. I walked by stacks of boxes (flat) on sale. I thought "Oh! There's the boxes Alison was talking about."
Odd how I never noticed them before. :)
Well, I love her, a lot.
Love conquers all... even... maybe... bacon?
Yes, we have a box of trash sacks in our owner's locker, and if rain is forecast (which it usually is), we bring them along.
Like I said. Smart.
that sausage corn dog thing was kinda icky.
Not "kinda" icky. Just... icky.

No worries, you've been busy..we are always around for when you get on here for updates :)

Things are seeming to slow down a little bit, at least I got caught up on everyone else's TRs.

Glad everything is sorted, fingers crossed the apartments rent quick!

Still waiting. :rolleyes1

Lots of Disney planned- always a good thing 👍

It makes the time go by!

Glad she's still around

It's been a while since I've seen her.

I always thought of Herons as errr big birds- shows how much I know

I had no idea what they looked like.

Yum those look good!

Looking forward to the next update, fingers crossed for your computer issues

Lunch was good!

I got all my computer stuff figured out, update coming soon!

Sounds like me when I drink tea! My mom says its just flavored sugar water!

My mom used to tell me that I drank warm coffee ice cream, but since then I've dropped the sugar.

Yes, Let's!! Coming up soon!

As is our visit!

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Nice shot! And, I like this area. One of the few remaining areas in the parks that actually have nice places to sit anymore.

I know a few left in DL....

Sigh.... I never tire of that view!

It is quite a view! They nailed that one.

It is. Much less common than the Blue.

Really? I did not know that!

And they are all lovely too!! Nicely done!

Thanks! :blush:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!