Dopey 2020.....

Oh yay! I was really thinking hard about trying for my first Dopey in 2020. Glad to see there are others looking ahead as well!

I'm responding to this thread because there is no "just the marathon" tread for 2020. Right now, I'm thinking of just the marathon, but possibly Goofy. I won't do Dopey this time, too many new things to see down there...

Does anyone have recommendations for safety vest/band for early morning/night running? My body does well running when it is in the 60s so I do most of my running early morning or later at night. It wasn't a big deal when I could run in my subdivision which has lots of lights but now I have to run on other roads for my distance.

Does anyone have recommendations for safety vest/band for early morning/night running? My body does well running when it is in the 60s so I do most of my running early morning or later at night. It wasn't a big deal when I could run in my subdivision which has lots of lights but now I have to run on other roads for my distance.

Noxgear Tracer360 is the gold standard for night running visibility. I love mine!

Tracer360 is the one I used for Ragnar. Very easy to see and many different color and light options.

https://www.noxgear.com/tracer360

I just got this Tracer360 vest a few days ago. They had it on sale during Prime Day ($5 less than on Amazon): https://www.noxgear.com/
I’ve used it a couple of times. It’s really bright, and lets you be really visible to others. It doesn’t really help with you being able to see what’s around though. I use Night Runner 270 shoe lights for that -these also help with being visible to others. https://www.nighttechgear.com/

Thanks for all of the replies I got the Tracer360 vest. I am going to have to work on adjusting it though because it kept shifting during my run. So many things to learn about like when do you start trying to incorporate "food" into your long runs? I have not done anything further than 1/2 marathon and haven't needed "food" but I am assuming my body will eventually need it for the really long runs?

Thanks for all of the replies I got the Tracer360 vest. I am going to have to work on adjusting it though because it kept shifting during my run. So many things to learn about like when do you start trying to incorporate "food" into your long runs? I have not done anything further than 1/2 marathon and haven't needed "food" but I am assuming my body will eventually need it for the really long runs?

Yes, you will need some sort of fuel as your runs get longer. How much and what kind is something you'll have to learn for yourself via trial and error. Not everyone needs or can handle the same quantity of fuel, and not everyone likes or can handle the same kind of fuel either. Personally, I like Tailwind, Clif bloks, and Sport Beans. Other things people use to keep themselves going are GU, fig newtons, Infinit, dates, and many more options. I recommend picking up a few to try as your runs get to be over 2 hours and see what works for you.

So I'm planning on doing my first full marathon before I turn 40 (Full for Forty is what I'm calling it :D ) and my husband says "why don't you go all out and do Dopey?"

So now I'm training for Dopey 2020:mickeyjum

Glad I'm not the only one considering Dopey as my first full!

I originally had a goal of finishing a full marathon before I turned 30 (next April). With my injury that just refuses to heal, that's looking less and less like it's going to happen. So now I'm hoping to do one before I turn 31. I'm considering the 2019 Twin Cities Marathon as my first, but I've also thought about Dopey 2020 as my first.

Glad I'm not the only one considering Dopey as my first full!

I originally had a goal of finishing a full marathon before I turned 30 (next April). With my injury that just refuses to heal, that's looking less and less like it's going to happen. So now I'm hoping to do one before I turn 31. I'm considering the 2019 Twin Cities Marathon as my first, but I've also thought about Dopey 2020 as my first.
Dopey as a first full is pretty common actually. I did it myself.

Dopey as a first full is pretty common actually. I did it myself.

That makes me feel better because I was wondering if I was actually insane. Lol.

What was your strategy? Did you run the 5K and 10K or just walk them? Did you do any parks? I get relatively little vacation time and wouldn't want to go all the way to WDW if ALL I did was run, but at the same time I wouldn't want to jeopardize finishing by spending too much time on my feet.

I know a lot of people say that getting up that early four days in a row is the biggest challenge, but I'm actually the least worried about that. I've done Ragnar where the night before I got like 3 hours of crappy sleep in a cheap hotel and then went on to run three times over two days with really no additional sleep.

That makes me feel better because I was wondering if I was actually insane. Lol.

What was your strategy? Did you run the 5K and 10K or just walk them? Did you do any parks? I get relatively little vacation time and wouldn't want to go all the way to WDW if ALL I did was run, but at the same time I wouldn't want to jeopardize finishing by spending too much time on my feet.

I know a lot of people say that getting up that early four days in a row is the biggest challenge, but I'm actually the least worried about that. I've done Ragnar where the night before I got like 3 hours of crappy sleep in a cheap hotel and then went on to run three times over two days with really no additional sleep.
I was 18 for my first Dopey so my energy level is a little different than most. I ran/walked each race. I did stop for characters as well. I rode Everest during the marathon. I was then in the parks until about 7PM each night. After the marathon one of the best things you can do is stay moving so touring the parks after the marathon is a great thing to do.

I’m a little late joining in here, but I’m planning on Dopey in 2020 for my 40th birthday. I was planning on just doing the full (my first), but my running buddies convinced me that we should go for all the bling. I’ve run three Princess half weekends and will be back in 2019. My oldest daughter and I are also planning on running the Rival Run in 2019.

Oh, it's insane....make no mistake. You just have a lot of company in that insanity! :D

So I'm planning on doing my first full marathon before I turn 40 (Full for Forty is what I'm calling it :D ) and my husband says "why don't you go all out and do Dopey?"

So now I'm training for Dopey 2020:mickeyjum

So I hadn't told anyone outside my hubby that Dopey 2020 is on my radar and out of nowhere my running buddy (a cousin's wife, she did the First Order Challenge with me this year and is doing all of the Princess 2019 races with me) tags me in a facebook post about Dopey.

So now we're BOTH training for Dopey 2020 :yay:

I ran my first marathon at Disney this past January and said I was done. Well now I’m leaning toward Dopey 2020 since I’m turning 40. I’ll have to do it alone so definitely will be watching the thread for motivation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!