Dopey 2020.....

I'm so frustrated, y'all. I am supposed to do Dopey in 2020 with my sister. I was supposed to run my first full marathon in 2 weeks. I developed planter fasciitis a while back. My doctor told me to rest it... and I didn't. I ran Wine and Dine (all three races) and ended up limping across the finish line for the half. I was in enough pain that it ended up changing my gait and I new have strained my leg starting in my upper thigh and going down to my ankle. I'm such a dope to have not heeded my doctor's warning. Anyway, so now I am definitely resting and won't be running my full in 2 weeks. My half in 6 weeks is looking iffy and I was hoping to PR it for my time submission. For those of you who had plantar fasciitis, how long did you rest it? How did you stay in shape while resting?

I'm so frustrated, y'all. I am supposed to do Dopey in 2020 with my sister. I was supposed to run my first full marathon in 2 weeks. I developed planter fasciitis a while back. My doctor told me to rest it... and I didn't. I ran Wine and Dine (all three races) and ended up limping across the finish line for the half. I was in enough pain that it ended up changing my gait and I new have strained my leg starting in my upper thigh and going down to my ankle. I'm such a dope to have not heeded my doctor's warning. Anyway, so now I am definitely resting and won't be running my full in 2 weeks. My half in 6 weeks is looking iffy and I was hoping to PR it for my time submission. For those of you who had plantar fasciitis, how long did you rest it? How did you stay in shape while resting?
I rested it as best I could, which meant none. It took around a month to go away, but I work on my feet.

When I had PF, I quit wearing heels to work, I rolled a frozen water bottle under my foot many hours a day, and I bought new running shoes (I was running in a pair that was way past its life expectancy, which is what I believe gave me PF). I also bought an arch support band and wore shoes in my house, never barefoot.

I think I rested but not very long. Maybe a week or two because I believe I got it in March and I always run a 10k on the first Saturday in April. And probably only cut back to 2-4 mile runs instead of more.

When I had PF I did not rest it. Like you, I kept running half marathons (I had a goal of 8 that year). After my June half I couldn't put any weight on my foot the next day. But, I had another half scheduled for a month later so I didn't go to the doctor for fear they would tell me to stop running. It started hurting badly around mile 8 of that second half marathon, and by the time I reached the final mile, I had slowed to a crawl and was almost in tears. I called the doctor on Monday morning.
What worked for me at this point was two cortisone shots and custom orthodics that I wore religiously for a few years. I have kept the PF away by working on stretching my calves almost daily (they can get very tight).
I don't recommend doing what I did. Go see a podiatrist who treats other runners and follow their advice sooner than later. If I hadn't waited so long I might have not needed to treat so aggressively. I feel for you, PF is no fun!

I have heard a lot of different treatment methods for PF. If you are going with resting it, I would recommend a month; this is what a buddy of mine did. He replaced running with a bike spinner and swim. I used to be in a running group and a few people had treatments that included a foot brace for sleeping at night, icing it, but to keep running - much slower and fewer miles. Everyone got better. Talk with a podiatrist who specializes in runners.

I'm strongly considering doing Dopey in 2020. I kinda stopped running for a few years when I got pregnant back in 2015. Well, after 2 kids, I needed something to motivate me to get back into any kind of shape. I have a few local half marathons on my radar for next year and this gives me a little over a year to build a solid base and to make it through a full.

Plus Dopey is my favorite character, so I need to do it at least once, right?

I'm strongly considering doing Dopey in 2020. I kinda stopped running for a few years when I got pregnant back in 2015. Well, after 2 kids, I needed something to motivate me to get back into any kind of shape. I have a few local half marathons on my radar for next year and this gives me a little over a year to build a solid base and to make it through a full.

Plus Dopey is my favorite character, so I need to do it at least once, right?
Right :flower1:

I appreciate all of the responses! Thank you for all of the tips and stories of your experiences.

Anyone know when they'll announce the dates for 2020?

It's always been the weekend before the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday weekend. That would make it Jan 9th (Thu) through Jan 12th (Sun) in 2020.

Edit: Forgot to subtract the week! Duh

Usually not long after this upcoming race is over. Dates for wine and dine 2019 are already out and that was just a few weeks ago.
Thank you! I want to get a room reserved but I really want to know the dates before I do that.

I think they have had registration open during the event for the next year if you did a package so I would assume they'll have 2020 dates at the 2019 weekend.

I turn 40 in December of 2019, so I'm planning on doing Dopey 2020 :yay: I'm so excited as these will be my first-ever RunDisney events!!!!

I agree that January 8-12 seem like the most likely dates and that registration will open around the races in 2019.

Any idea of when hotel reservations will open? TIA.

I think they have had registration open during the event for the next year if you did a package so I would assume they'll have 2020 dates at the 2019 weekend.

I turn 40 in December of 2019, so I'm planning on doing Dopey 2020 :yay: I'm so excited as these will be my first-ever RunDisney events!!!!

I agree that January 8-12 seem like the most likely dates and that registration will open around the races in 2019.

Any idea of when hotel reservations will open? TIA.

Just to clarify what @cavepig said and hopefully forestall confusion and disappointment, registration for the next year's event is typically only available during the current event if you register for a complete vacation package including hotel and park tickets. I'm not 100%, but it may also only be for participants in the current year's event, as well. General registration for the 2020 races will most likely open later in the year. Historically, we've seen general registration dates open as soon as February (2017) and as late as July (2018, late due to registration system change). More typically, registration has opened in the April-May time frame, so that's when I would anticipate it happening next year. The registration date should be released along with the official event dates at the upcoming Expo.

Hi all, my goal is to run Dopey in 2020 and my plan is to lock in a couple of half marathons throughout the year in 2019. I'd like to train as constructively as possible and perhaps try out the Galloway interval training. I was wondering if anyone has done this interval training and what devices they use for it? I am thinking of getting a GPS running watch and wonder if it will help me with the training? If so, what watch should I get? Anyone has any ideas or suggestions?

I am leaning towards Dopey 2020. I got into the Chicago Marathon and figured I would already have the marathon training. I figure if I am already going to have a good chunk of training mike under my belt for Chicago now would be the time to do Dopey.

P.S. I am going to put my name in for MCM so if I get in even more miles to prep for Dopey.

Dates are up 8th - 12th Jan :)

@JediMickey1138 My sister turns 40 on the 6th Jan 2020 so we're doing the Dopey for that, it's our first one to Disney and Run Disney too :)

Anyone have any training ideas?? I'm hoping to complete 4 half's and one full marathon this year and work up to running 11 miles 3 times in a row over 3 days. I've been told that I should go out for a run and stop randomly for 10 minutes at a time so I get used to the stopping, queuing and starting again.

Those dates are perfect. I was worried that it would be scheduled for the week before, which would interfere with work and my boss would respond with a big ole NO! But Jan 8th-12th will cause no issues. Putting on my calendar right now!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!