Dopey here: trained w/Higdon, but didn't run all week. Need encouragement.

Violet Parr

DIS Veteran
I did my 20 mile run a week ago. This week i was supposed to do a 5, a 4, and a 12. I missed all three. I had a piercing headache all week long. I'm feeling better and could run the 12 today, but with it being Christmas Eve, we are slammed with things to do and not a minute to spare, and tomorrow we have a road trip right after we open presents.

The next chance I have to run is Tuesday. That means I will have gone 9 days without running. My 20 went SO well. I'm really nervous about missing that much. Thoughts? Encouragement?

VP

A few years ago, I missed about three weeks near the end of a marathon training cycle due to a severe hamstring strain. I still ran the race but gave up on any time goals, and just ran based on feel. Surprisingly, I ended up less than 10 minutes off my PR at the time! Moral of this story: You'll be fine. You did most of the hard work already, and you said your longest run went well. You've put in months of work, and that's not going to vanish over 9 days. Keep your head up, think positive, and enjoy Dopey! Best wishes to you!

A few years ago, I missed about three weeks near the end of a marathon training cycle due to a severe hamstring strain. I still ran the race but gave up on any time goals, and just ran based on feel. Surprisingly, I ended up less than 10 minutes off my PR at the time! Moral of this story: You'll be fine. You did most of the hard work already, and you said your longest run went well. You've put in months of work, and that's not going to vanish over 9 days. Keep your head up, think positive, and enjoy Dopey! Best wishes to you!

Agreed! Takes a lot longer for fitness to disappear than you would think and it's actually easier to regain fitness than build new. You'll be fine as long as you get back out there as soon as you can find time again. You've got this! :thumbsup2

I also had to take a longer than desired taper and have run little in the last couple of weeks. I won’t be at peak fitness but I’ll be fine to complete the races strong and so will you!

You’re good! Just squeeze in runs when you can, but don’t stress.

I did far less mileage for Dopey this year with a LOT more time off than you have, so you’ll be just fine! Dopey is just as mental as it is physical, so with a 20-miler under your belt you’re already ahead in the battle!

I did my 20 mile run a week ago. This week i was supposed to do a 5, a 4, and a 12. I missed all three. I had a piercing headache all week long. I'm feeling better and could run the 12 today, but with it being Christmas Eve, we are slammed with things to do and not a minute to spare, and tomorrow we have a road trip right after we open presents.

The next chance I have to run is Tuesday. That means I will have gone 9 days without running. My 20 went SO well. I'm really nervous about missing that much. Thoughts? Encouragement?

VP

You're good. Believe in your training. No single week of training can undo what you've donw. Make sure you get a run or three in to loosen up and you'll be fine. Just pick up your taper when you get back.

A week off running is probably as beneficial to you as any easy 5,4,12 would be anyway.

As an anecdote, I've run nearly 20 runs of marathon distance or more including a 100 mile run. One thing I've learned is that when I'm feeling my best a rest day or three is in order.

Taper madness is normal. Freaking about a missed taper run is even more normal. Put it out of your mind and worry about the weather, or oversleeping, or what to eat for breakfast or whether to wake up at 3AM or 3:14 AM or whether the socks you picked out really are the right ones:)

In Fall 2015 I became injured in mid-November and only got a few weeks running in between then and Marathon Weekend (Goofy Challenge). The half went fine, but I was scared that I would fall apart on the second half of the full. As it turned out, I cranked out consistent miles in the second half and had no problem. If you've got some good mileage in the bank you'll be fine. Have fun!

The biggest thing to deal with here is doubt and confidence problems, not actual loss of fitness. You ran 20 miles 3 weeks out or so, so you'll get through the races just fine. The main problem is you believing this :) - it takes 2-3 weeks for any fitness improvements to work through the body, and equally for any losses to occur. At the faster end of the scale, you might lose some sharpness and could think about reassessing goals, but for mere mortals such as ourselves it won't make much of a difference. If possible, do try to get out between now and race day - not to make up for any perceived lost fitness, but to convince yourself that you can still run and go into the race(s) with a positive mindset :)

I have NEVER done a 20 miler while training for a marathon so to me you are fine.
Think of it as an extended recovery period, something very beneficial the older you get.

In addition, I often don't train in terms of a weekly cycle.
It may be more of a nine-ten day period.
That means a week of only doing a 10k sandwiched by two long runs.
On the surface only doing a 10k over seven days may look bad but in reality keeps me fit and uninjured.

In Fall 2015 I became injured in mid-November and only got a few weeks running in between then and Marathon Weekend (Goofy Challenge). The half went fine, but I was scared that I would fall apart on the second half of the full. As it turned out, I cranked out consistent miles in the second half and had no problem. If you've got some good mileage in the bank you'll be fine. Have fun!

Thank you for posting this experience, it is giving me a little more confidence ... I came down with pneumonia after thanksgiving and have just in the past week or so recovered enough to run again. Hopefully another week+ of easy running, plus my three 15-milers in early November, can help power me along! I just want to "finish in the upright position," as the Galloway training plan says!

OP here! Thank you, every(4 miles) and it was really spectacular. I felt great. I could tell the rest had been beneficial. Now it's packing time!

VP

You're in a good spot; missing a week or two is fine, heck it'll help your body rest up a bit more. Just be sure to at least get a few miles walking in here and there and you'll do great!

I realize this is old now, but I'll throw in some reassurance anyway! I did Dopey in 2015 and I did Hal Higdon's plan all the way up through the "practice" week, which was 3 weeks before race weekend. I did 2,5,10, and 20 miles. Right after that, I started getting weird shin splints/calf pain. I actually thought I had a stress fracture at one point. I did nothing for those 3 weeks except one 18 mile bike ride. It only stopped hurting when I walked a few days before I left for FL. I went into Dopey weekend just praying for the best and it turned out great! I definitely had some pains, but not from that!

Good luck to you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter