Dopey Shirts Long or Short Sleeve?

Offering a choice would cause a significant increase in complexity for RunDisney to manage. RunDisney has a very small staff and relies very heavily on volunteers for their events. The need to match up SS/LS choice along with sizing for each registration is not a trivial addition to the massively complex operation of putting on an event of this size. Also keep in mind that registration for some of these events remains open right up until the race, too. The shirts have to be ordered well in advance and they have to have a "safety stock" of sizes of one variety of shirt to cover that. Having an extra option would require additional "safety stock". So it would not only cut into the volume discount, it would also require them to order additional overage, which is a cost they'd have to absorb.

I think you misunderstand my suggestion. I'm talking about choice per registration. I.e. all long sleeved or all short sleeved, not race by race choice. I suppose that some might want a long sleeve in some an short sleeve in others, but I would think that number would be FAR SMALLER than those that would prefer all of one or the other. Obviously some special shirt designs (i.e. the Marathon with the park logos) would have to all be long sleeved. I'm sure they fill them in an assembly line sort of way. I.e. the setup the boxes in a line for one particular size (say XL), then grab a bag and walk down the row of boxes grabbing each of the appropriate shirts (i.e. one of each for Dopey), then put their bag in a pile and start over. They repeat the process until they have X bags filled (whatever X is for that race/challenge). Then the move onto the next size. What I'm proposing would add one extra step. (i.e. after they fill Y bags of LS shirts), they change the LS boxes for SS boxes (this is the extra step) and then fill up Z bags of SS shirts, and put those is a separate pile. Note that Y+Z = X so the number of total passes would be identical. The only difference is changing the LS boxes for SS boxes at the appropriate time, which is a minimal time addition. Then at the Expo, when they go to grab your shirts out of the appropriate Size Pile, they have to either grab from the LS pile or SS pile as appropriate.

True that they accept registrations all the way up until the race, but the vast majorities will be placed well in advance. Plus they could easily add a requirement that registrations must be received by date X to guarantee size and style (like most races do).

I don't know of any races that offer a choice between SS and LS shirts. You pretty much get what you get. Maybe there are some, but I haven't run across them. The good news/bad news is that they do offer event merchandise in short sleeves, so you can have a short sleeve shirt from Marathon Weekend to wear, you just have to buy it...

I don't either, but considering that WDW races are 3x-4x the cost of other races I have higher expectations.

The other good news is that if the length of the sleeves on the race shirt you receive with your entry fee is not to your liking, there are thousands of other races in the world to choose from, most of which are far cheaper than a Disney race, so you can get the shirt style you want and save a few bucks too.

Not sure if that was snarky or sarcasm. :)

You can always cut off a long sleeve and make it short; however, you cannot convert a short sleeve to a long sleeve!:rolleyes1 I actually like having some of both!

True, but if you aren't handy with a sewing machine, the results could be bad, or you'd have to take it to a tailor, and I've got no idea how much that would cost.

I think you misunderstand my suggestion. I'm talking about choice per registration. I.e. all long sleeved or all short sleeved, not race by race choice. I suppose that some might want a long sleeve in some an short sleeve in others, but I would think that number would be FAR SMALLER than those that would prefer all of one or the other. Obviously some special shirt designs (i.e. the Marathon with the park logos) would have to all be long sleeved. I'm sure they fill them in an assembly line sort of way. I.e. the setup the boxes in a line for one particular size (say XL), then grab a bag and walk down the row of boxes grabbing each of the appropriate shirts (i.e. one of each for Dopey), then put their bag in a pile and start over. They repeat the process until they have X bags filled (whatever X is for that race/challenge). Then the move onto the next size. What I'm proposing would add one extra step. (i.e. after they fill Y bags of LS shirts), they change the LS boxes for SS boxes (this is the extra step) and then fill up Z bags of SS shirts, and put those is a separate pile. Note that Y+Z = X so the number of total passes would be identical. The only difference is changing the LS boxes for SS boxes at the appropriate time, which is a minimal time addition. Then at the Expo, when they go to grab your shirts out of the appropriate Size Pile, they have to either grab from the LS pile or SS pile as appropriate.

True that they accept registrations all the way up until the race, but the vast majorities will be placed well in advance. Plus they could easily add a requirement that registrations must be received by date X to guarantee size and style (like most races do).

I did not misunderstand. Either way you approach the introduction of the additional option (per race or registration), you introduce more complexity, not just to the shirt distribution process, but also to the bib printing process, which currently specifies the shirts associated with the registration. Also, the 10k, half and full shirts all currently have the park logos on the sleeve, IIRC. It also seems a mite selfish to suggest RunDisney institute a cut off for other folks to get shirts for a very expensive race that they are registering for, just so that you can get the short sleeve option that you apparently covet.

I think you misunderstood @camaker 's point that even by registration, it adds a tremendous amount of complexity. By race would be really crazy!! Could it be done? Of course. But adding all the shirts for all the races in Men's and Women's cuts in both SS and LS would double the production, complicate the logistics and push the cost up for everyone. Like you said, the race is already expensive, this would make it cost more.

I don't either, but considering that WDW races are 3x-4x the cost of other races I have higher expectations.
Maybe you should send runDisney an email with your feedback / suggestion.

Yeah, that is a common perception, I think. People might expect the level of swag/amenities to be directly proportional to race fees, which of course, it isn't. And double that with Disney. I've gotten to the point where my sole criterion for doing a race is does it sound interesting/challenging/fit my training, i.e. the race itself. I exclude all the extra "stuff"-shirts, food, entertainment, figuring you get what you get. I will admit to being partly swayed by medals, though! :D

3 to 4x? I think I need to get out of the greater NYC area.... :confused3

Disney has much better runner support than any other race I've run and the best on course entertainment. Also, they're the races I feel safest running due to the closed roads and ever present staff. To me, I'll trade that for a preferred shirt option.

Who knows though, it never hurts to suggest to Disney that they let people select long or short sleeve. Never hurts to ask, just don't be surprised if it doesn't happen.:)

True, but if you aren't handy with a sewing machine, the results could be bad, or you'd have to take it to a tailor, and I've got no idea how much that would cost.
I am sure you could find someone who does this on the side or there are plenty of services that you could have your shirts made into a blanket. Many people do this as they have so many race shirts they do not wear. Its not that expensive to do so.

To each their own but WDW races are not across the board 3-4 times higher than other races. World Majors are pretty similar in cost and world majors do no give you an option in type of shirt other than size. It is standard pretty much across all races that you choose your shirt size and thats it. The shirts are standard otherwise.

I like having both long and short, but I live where we get all climates. Actually in the winter I wear a thermal under the long shirts because they aren't really warm. I don't run in the Run Disney shirts though, they are more normal clothes.

Even in warmer climate states like Florida, you get cold snaps/cooler weather and the long sleeves come in handy. Marathon weekend can be chilly so those long sleeves are nice to have.

I have seen people have the long sleeves altered into short sleeves like others mentioned. I'm sure anyone who can sew can do this for you as I could if I wanted to and I'm not a fancy seamstress at all. Of course, you loose the logos of marathon weekend which I love. But, it would be super simple to do and boom you have short sleeves.

I never thought a relatively simple question would elicit such passion on both sides of the question. Personally I like the long sleeves, but I would not be at all opposed to rotating short and long either by year or by race or by event. Then perhaps the Dopey folks (not me) would end up with a couple of each. Since I run W&D every year, rotating short and long each year would work for me. The one and done folks would probably still not be happy.

The other good news is that if the length of the sleeves on the race shirt you receive with your entry fee is not to your liking, there are thousands of other races in the world to choose from, most of which are far cheaper than a Disney race, so you can get the shirt style you want and save a few bucks too.
Actually other Disney Races have/ Had Short sleeve shirts too. From What I remember EEC Challenge, The Disneyland Half Races and Princess weekend all had/have short sleeve shirts.

Was going to suggest looking at the costs for NYC, Chicago or other similar size races but I see others have already done that. NYC gives out long sleeve shirts, Chicago gives out short sleeve.

In terms of complexity I think Disney upped the compexity when they went from just unisex to unisex and womens cut shirts a couple years ago. I think there are a lot of people that are really happy with that.

I'm guessing Disney figures most of the people that pay for Dopey can afford to pay for another t-shirt, and given the merch lines at Marathon weekend they don't seem to have a problem selling extra stuff.

Actually other Disney Races have/ Had Short sleeve shirts too. From What I remember EEC Challenge, The Disneyland Half Races and Princess weekend all had/have short sleeve shirts.
Pretty sure all the Disneyland races did short sleeve. WDW has two weekends right now that are short sleeve and two that are long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts