Dopey & WDW Marathon Weekend Lessons Learned

Discussion in 'runDisney' started by CDKG, Jan 8, 2018.

1. FFigawi

FFigawi DIS Veteran

I think it would be tough for them to do this in Orlando. The corrals are currently the full width of the road. The median near the entrance to each corral is not flat, which is one reason the huge banks of the porta potties are staged back where the terrain is flatter. You can't put porta potties in the corrals or else there would be a hazard to people walking towards the line once the corrals begin moving forward. Stopping at the last one before the walk to the corrals and then again once you get to the ones at the corrals is the best option for those who don't want to zip over to the woods. :)

mrsg00fy and rteetz like this.
  2. LikelyLynae

LikelyLynae Earning My Ears

I got the questionaire on Monday. I think they only sent them to a small percentage of people.

rteetz and CDKG like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. The Expert

The Expert Has been to every Disney park in the world!

It's been since Princess that I staged for a Half at WDW and I had forgotten that. Damn!

5. John VN

John VN DIS Cast Member

SOLUTION regarding porta-potties is to drive to races, doh, get stuck in traffic, doh-doh, park car and walk to start just before the Anthem and have almost EVERY PP after Bag-Check opened for dootie. :welcome::rainbow::dogdance:

6. The Prophet

The Prophet Mouseketeer

I set my phone to CET time

A lot easier getting up at 9:00 AM vs 3:00 AM

7. IamTrike

IamTrike DIS Veteran

I agree with some of this, but we didn’t notice this year seemed more crowded. I’ve run the last 8 MW either Goofy or Dopey and for the last couple we’ve made it a goal to stop for every character that’s out during the marathon. There were 4 more character photo’s for us during the marathon this year than last year.

the expo was nuts. I liked it much better when the rundisney merch was in two different place so it seemed to keep the crowds down. If they went back to that model and only let people into that building that were picking up bibs it would really cut the merchandise lines down.

CDKG likes this.
  8. IamTrike

IamTrike DIS Veteran

This was my 8 th marathon weekend and probably around my 30th Disney race. My current half marathon PR and Personal Worsts are both at Disney.

Things that I’ve seen and try to advise newMarathon weekend peeps about.
    1. POT is hugely important. RunDisneys model does not predict the fall off in pace that most runners would have so your best bet is to find a flat race of the shortest distance that rundisney will accept. I think for the full that’s a 10 miler. You need to also have a backup lined up. Races get cancelled, you can bonk or have an issue and you need to have a good POT.

2. I am not sure if it was because it was the anniversary or something else but this year’s full felt more crowded than others. We had much more time in character lines this year than last year. I think about 30 minutes.

3. Figure out what’s your goal is. Is it to PR. If so your gonna need that good POT and you’ll need to start as far forward in the corral as possible. You need to be really congnizent of tangerts it’s really easy to run way long at Disney. They course has a lot of turns and being on the outside edge and weaving around people adds a lot of distance. If your goal is to have fun start as far forward as possible. Depending on what corral you are in you may find that skipping the first couple character stops gets you to a point where the lines aren’t as bad. Historically the lines around the TTC are long then they drop off until the line for the castle float when leaving MK. This year was bad in that we didn’t see much of a drop in lines till we go to AK during the full. For the 5 and 10k expect long character lines no matter what corral you are in.

4. Cold always seems colder in Florida. I’m not sure if it’s the humidity or just the crazy long time you are standing around in it, but cold in Florida always seems colder than the same temp here in NC. If it’s gonna be cold bring lots of toss away stuff. Mylar blankets are your friend, but you’ll probably also want something to sit on.

5. Fueling at Disney is weird short of the NY marathon I can’t really think of another race that has such a long time before getting up and starting running. You may need to eat a little more in the morning than you typically would before a race.

9. CDKG

CDKG Mouseketeer

Fantastic tips, thank you!!!

10. jmasgat

jmasgat DIS Veteran

One photo lesson...... I don't stop when I'm racing, but since it was Dopey I figure i could get a couple of "beauty shots", i.e. the Castle lit up and Spaceship Earth. I stopped in Epcot during the half and the castle during the full. My castle photo is good, but the photographer cut off the top of Spaceship Earth, so that photo isn't really ll that great.

So my lesson would be to stop for both half and full for the same shots, if you want them, just so you can have a couple shots to chose from.

PrincessV, gjramsey and CDKG like this.
  11. Waddle Girl

Waddle Girl Earning My Ears

They likely don’t want to read reviews from all of us. I didn’t receive it.

LikelyLynae likes this.
  12. ChattaDIS

ChattaDIS Mouseketeer

What I would like to see is that RD to have bib pick up at your resort hotel if you stay on site.

KSkywalker17 likes this.
  13. Nole95

Nole95 DIS Veteran

This would be a great idea. Sure might reduce the load at the Expo some.

14. ChattaDIS

ChattaDIS Mouseketeer

Yeah also would probably make it easier to fly or drive in the day before. Of course disney probably doesn’t want that because it would cut into the bottom line.

Waddle Girl likes this.
  15. disneygirlsng

disneygirlsng Mouseketeer

They did offer this for one or 2 race weekends a year or 2 ago. I feel like I remember hearing that they didn't continue it because it took away from the number of people shopping at the expo vendors.

16. Ariel484

Ariel484 DIS Veteran

I don’t think rD will ever make this a widespread thing. They want us to come to the expo to spend money, and vendors have to pay to have booths at the expo - they won’t pay if people won’t be there to shop.

CaliforniaGirl09, Anisum and FFigawi like this.
  17. Barca33Runner

Barca33Runner DIS Veteran

I'm going to guess there may have been some upset vendors this year with the official merchandise in a different building and losing one of the big draws to the main vendor floor. Only individual registrations for the Half and Full had anything registration related to draw them to that building, so Dopey, Goofy, 10K and 5K runners could have easily avoided it. Not sure how sales went for vendors overall, but it was the easiest time I've ever had walking through that building by a wide margin. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if certain vendors didn't feel they got the traffic for which they paid.

I was pretty upset with the lines on Wednesday, and I still maintain they should have been able to get people through the packet pickup portion faster, but the rest of the weekend was very manageable. If they can figure out a way to handle day 1 they would have a lot more happy runners.

DVCFan1994, Ariel484 and KSkywalker17 like this.
  18. ChattaDIS

ChattaDIS Mouseketeer

This is definitely the reason they wouldn’t want to do it and as long as they are selling out races they don’t have to.

What truthfully surprises me from A RD perspective is that they don’t have a finishers tent post race or on Monday where you can get the finishers merchandise, your medal engraved etc. I think they leave a ton on money on the table with that.

Ariel484 likes this.
  19. camaker

camaker Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

They have both. One of the Expo vendors, Lasting Commemmoratives or Fond Memories Graphics always has a tent post- race offering medal engraving. There's also a RunDisney tent with leftover merchandise set up after the marathon, as well.

CDKG likes this.
  20. RENThead09

RENThead09 DIS Veteran

but strange that the FINISHERS JACKETS are online and not available after the races. This is the first year I have seen them available, but would think it would be a cash cow for them after the races, especially the marathon.

21. Keels

Keels The Official Keels of RunDisney

I learned last year - my time is "money" when it comes to the Expo, so it's worth it to me to pay for the Race Retreat for one day to get in, get my stuff, and get out without a wait.

As for Finishers Jackets - I think of them like the "In Training For ..." shirts they did two or three years ago ... they aren't going to do an open run of printing on them, they're instead just going to print the number they've sold. I don't mind them not being available post-race for immediate wear, though I wish that for the money we pay we could get something similar to what RnR offers for Marathon-distance finishers.

evenstar, Anisum, DIS-OH and 4 others like this.