Double Barrel cakes? Pricing, transport?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
How much more does a double barrel cake cost say than a normal size one? Say a two layer 6 inch verses two of those stacked atop each other? Also, is it a lot harder to transport a double barrel cake safely? Are they tricky to deal with?

Regarding your original question, the cost and delivery depend on the local bakery/pastry chef. You can bring your design and they will give a quote based on the type of cake, size, etc...

For larger cakes, I have the bakery do the delivery. If the cake is elaborate, the chef may need to assemble and perform the final touches at your house.

There is a great bakery near us, I’m attaching their price sheet.

She does not deliver small cakes, only wedding cakes. I’ve only done a 6”tall cake, as opposed to the bigger ones. She has bakery boxes that nicely fit the tall cakes. When we are ready to serve the cake, we put the box on the counter, and then carefully disassemble the box, and remove the cake from the box.

After we have had our first night of cake, we reassemble the box around the leftover cake.

We do not pull the cake directly out of the box, it would be too easy to mess up the frosting.

And while I understand that pricing is regional, and depends on a lot of factors, but in comparison, a tall cake at this bakery is approximately 50% more than a short cake. Hope this helps!

And personally, I love having all the layers! My favorite…Irish cream cake, with salted caramel crème filling and mocha butter frosting!

With cakes for me, I do not care how it is decorated, or even what colors, so my cakes look more plain than the lovely pic with the gorgeous flower on it. She usually puts a simple flower or two, and Happy Birthday Clh2.

And, I would think a cake topper like the one in the picture would be easy to insert on the cake once on your own! (As opposed to traveling with that already in place!

I’m not picky about anything else on my birthday, get me a card or not, get me a present or not, take me out to eat or not. But I want good cake, so at some point in my 50’s, I simply realized I need to take care of this detail myself.

IMG_5664.jpeg

Last edited:
I've been making wedding cakes since I was eleven. Several random comments:

- Your inspiration picture is lovely, but it's almost certainly THREE 6" cakes stacked. Look carefully at the picture ... it's taller than it is wide.
- What you're calling "double barrel", I call two-tier (or three-tier, or four-tier).
- I only make what CLH2's calling "tall cakes" ... love tall cakes! Love tall cakes on tall pedestals even more ... don't miss that the inspiration picture is on a pedestal.
- Most tiers are 2 - 2 1/2" tall.
- If I put together more than two layers, I'd absolutely include some internal support (a cardboard circle supported by dowel rods); otherwise, the lowest layer will be "squished" by the weight of the upper cakes.
- Cakes that're iced "into one piece" should be transported as one piece (as opposed to tiered wedding cakes, which're assembled at the site). This is a small cake and should be fairly easy to transport ... as long as you have one person to drive /one person to hold the cake. Drive slowly, and hopefully it's a short trip.
- I'd prefer the passenger hold the cake (from the bottom) rather than put it in a box, where it might slide.
- Yes, the topper is easy to add yourself.

I’m not picky about anything else on my birthday, get me a card or not, get me a present or not, take me out to eat or not. But I want good cake, so at some point in my 50’s, I simply realized I need to take care of this detail myself.
I love this SO much! I am going to take this as advice and do the same going forward :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter