Double Stroller and the buses

Rachel Kreiger

Earning My Ears
We are going to WDW in May 2018, our daughters will be 5 (will just turn 5 on the trip) and 2 (just about 3). We will definitely need a double stroller, our oldest always gets into the stroller after a day at the zoo. We are staying at AOA and will be flying. We have a double BOB stroller (side by side) but are considering renting a City Mini Double so we don't have to fly with the stroller. Are the double strollers difficult when on the buses?

I would be hesitant to take a Bob on a flight, I only take strollers that are easily replaced. That said....as long as you have two adults it will be fine. I have flown with and without our double jogging stroller solo with 3 kids. I hate dealing with folding and packing it at the gate, makes me nervous on top of dealing with the kids. I loved renting a double when we arrived but did fly with a single just in case. I've had a 5 year old that refused the stroller at Disney and then another who still wants a stroller at almost 6. Its really going to depend on your situation, layovers, kids preference etc. Edit, you will be fine on the buses with two adults and a double.

We are going to WDW in May 2018, our daughters will be 5 (will just turn 5 on the trip) and 2 (just about 3). We will definitely need a double stroller, our oldest always gets into the stroller after a day at the zoo. We are staying at AOA and will be flying. We have a double BOB stroller (side by side) but are considering renting a City Mini Double so we don't have to fly with the stroller. Are the double strollers difficult when on the buses?
We bought a relatively cheap double umbrella stroller for our trip that folded up easily and it was awesome. I think we paid around $100.

We took our city elite double. (picture a city mini on steroids) It was fine. Its all in the preparation. You may have room for everything and the kitchen sink, but you don't need it. Take one backpack and if it doesn't fit in there, it doesn't go into the park. One parent is in charge of the kids, one the stroller and backpack. Use time waiting for the bus to repack the back pack, get the kids out of the stroller and fold it. Nothing annoys people more than you blocking the way onto the bus because you spent your time waiting doing nothing and now you have to pack 5 bags worth of stuff and wake up a kid and fold a stroller etc etc. You will get separated on the bus. Assume this. The person with the kids finds seats. The person with the stroller heads to the back. Do not stop at the first seats you find and then have the stroller person stand in front of you or sit with you (unless you get a unicorn empty bus). This will impede the loading of the bus and will not make you popular.
Taking a stroller on a bus is really not a big deal if you think about it ahead of time and take a minute to prepare. I have done Disney with a big double and an umbrella double. I would only use the big double again. You are pushing for 8 hours or so and on the bus for 20 minutes. The easy one-hand push of the big one is worth the slightly more inconvenience on the bus.

We bought a relatively cheap double umbrella stroller for our trip that folded up easily and it was awesome. I think we paid around $100.
Its been many years now, but we purchased a Jeep double umbrella stroller for our kids 4.5 & 2 yrs old at the time. It was more heavy duty than a regular umbrella stroller but still had the convenience of easy fold up and was still pretty lightweight. It also had a sun canopy and reclined nicely for naps. Cost us around $70. We gate checked it.

I've never flown with a stroller, so my opinion is only about the buses and parks.

Take what is most comfortable to steer, your kids fit in comfortably, and has storage or can handle a bag or organizer hung on the back. Very honestly, any big stroller is going to be a little frustrating getting on the bus. But it's worth it. You're only getting off and on the buses for short amounts of time - you're in the parks for HOURS and HOURS at a time. So take what is going to make your life easiest while you're walking for miles, hot, hungry, kids need a rest...

I have taken a big graco double, a sit and stand, and a BOB revolution. This next time we're taking a bigger stroller for special needs. We only use the buses and it works out just fine. All the other families are in the same boat and they understand!

My kids were 3 and 5 when we went. I have a bumbleride indie twin, but decided that since it is wider then a citi mini and bulky to fold, we were better of renting. The citi mini folds up easily and the part you use to fold it acts as a handle to carry it with. It was also much lighter then my bigger double stroller.

As for the bus, it worked out fine. We saw other families with strollers as well. As a pp said, have anything loose packed up before the bus comes. I would take the kids and try to find us seats. If the bus was full, my DH would quickly fold the stroller and would stand with it so he was not in anyone's way.

Use a reusable bag to keep all the random stuff that accumulates at the bottom of the stroller. We use a customized one from Shutterfly of our family at Disney. Get the kids used to jumping out of the stroller quickly (my 20 month old was a pro on our last trip). Grab the bag and the kids while the husband folds the stroller. After the bus ride, load back up away from the line of people getting off the bus. We never hold up the line getting in or out. Pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

We brought our Bumbleride Indie Twin on our first Disney trip and gate checked it at the airport. The frame got very slightly bent, which corrected when we sat our heavier child on the opposite side. We rented a Citi Mini Double the second trip and hated it. We will be bringing a Zoe Double on our next trip. It's only 17lbs and folds with one hand.

For busses, they were essentially the same. One adult handles the stroller and the other handles the children. We are pros now!

Our very first visit my girls were about the same age as yours. We flew with our Joovy double and when we landed in Orlando discovered the latch that keeps it closed when folded had broken. Not a huge deal, but the next time we bought a super cheap umbrella stroller and have never traveled with a nice stroller again.
That said, the Joovy was super lightweight so getting on and off busses was a snap. One of us took the kids, the other took the stroller and my mom was on her own.

We brought our Bumbleride Indie Twin on our first Disney trip and gate checked it at the airport. The frame got very slightly bent, which corrected when we sat our heavier child on the opposite side. We rented a Citi Mini Double the second trip and hated it. We will be bringing a Zoe Double on our next trip. It's only 17lbs and folds with one hand.

For busses, they were essentially the same. One adult handles the stroller and the other handles the children. We are pros now!

We just got the Zoe double! It's amazing. We've taken it to the baseball stadium, the zoo, Cape May for a week & it was great. It even fit through the small doorways of some of the older buildings in Cape May. I bought it with Disney in mind but so happy I got it for every day use at home as well!!

A little tip with the City mini GT double, if you sit on the side facing seats that fold for scooters (so long as there are no scooters on board) the folded stroller will actually slide between the 2 rows of seats (The foldable ones and the fixed ones towards the front) so you can get it out of the way and not have to hold it.

We just got the Zoe double! It's amazing. We've taken it to the baseball stadium, the zoo, Cape May for a week & it was great. It even fit through the small doorways of some of the older buildings in Cape May. I bought it with Disney in mind but so happy I got it for every day use at home as well!!

We love ours too, though our children are aging out of strollers outside of large theme parks. I wish they had existed a few years ago!

Hi! We have 3 boys. They will be 8, 6.5, and 3.5. We are planning on renting a single stroller. Should we be getting a double? My husband doesn't want to deal with getting the double onto and off of the buses.

We were planning on bringing out britax single stroller but now thinking of renting a double city mini so both kids can ride (6 and 2) and we won't have to deal with it at the airport. We just have a non stop 2 hr flight and my kids don't like sitting in strollers much at the airport.

Having dealt with double strollers on two trips to WDW, I would highly recommend renting a car to use for all travel except Magic Kingdom and Disney Springs.

Taking the double stroller (while helping your kids) on the bus is a huge pain, since you'll probably be traveling at times when the buses are over-full. Lots of people do it - you might get 4 other double strollers on your MK morning bus - but it was usually the worst part of my day, especially when we were one of the first to board a bus, so I had to lug it all the way to the back. Much better to drive to Epcot, HS, AK, and anywhere offsite.

And if you have a car at AoA, make sure to get a room close to one of the many parking lots. Those rooms are not the most desirable to most people, but it's very nice to walk straight out to your car! The rooms closer to the Nemo playground are VERY far to the parking lots!

Yes, it is pretty tough on buses. The unprepared fare the worst. I always recommend the smallest stroller you can use,with smaller wheels, bring that. huge strollers with monster wheels are always a pain for those using them and the people around them on buses. It's always crowded,and if you do bring a larger on, be aware of your stuff in it, for instance, keep your things in a bag underneath,that way when it's time to fold up and get on bus(how heavy is it? you will have to lug it up and down quite a bit) you just grab the bag out, fold,and go. I've seen buses and lines held up at the busiest times with people trying to clean out the stroller so it can be folded.... so like I said, prepare well and you'll be ok. Try to time getting the kids out and stroller folded,so it's easier to board for you. When mine were little, I purposely brought small foldables. I didn't want to deal with a huge hassle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!