Double Stroller Opinion

plbutcher

Earning My Ears
We will taking our almost 5 year old and 2 1/2 year old daughters to Disney at the end of June for the first time. We plan on using a double stroller and we currently have a front/back double stroller but we are considering renting a side-by-side stroller from one of the local rental places. Would like to get everybody's thoughts/opinions on either one of these types of double strollers before making our reservations for the side-by-side.

Some other info: We are driving down and will be staying at the Contemporary Resort. We plan on taking advantage of Disney transportation (buses, monorail) but not opposed to driving ourselves.

yes side by side. I would get a city mini or baby jogger. Yes its a bit of a pain on buses but plan a bit (have the bottom empty when you get to the bus and the kids out) and it will be a life saver in the parks all day.

I have a 2yo dd and a 4yo dd and they love the side by side. They love sitting together. There's no better spot.

I personally like tandems much better than side by side. They are obviously significantly less wide which makes it a lot easier moving through the crowds and you also don't take up as much of the width of the walkway. It's easier to fit through doorways (can roll it straight into hotel room, elevator, food court, stores, and any other places with a door; whereas, with a side by side it really depends on the width of the stroller and the doorway, and sometimes they don't fit, or if you have kids that like to sit with arms and legs out the sides, and you risk them bumping into the doorway, pinching fingers in the door hinges or them knocking something off a shelf in the store- I have had all those happen). Tandems fit through smaller spaces and paths in crowds as well as tight aisles in shops, they are easier to hang a thin blanket over to block more of the sun in the "back" seat if one kid needs a nap or gets overstimulated easily. I also found that side by side strollers were more difficult to maneuver when only one child was in it, or if there were two children who weighed different amounts, as the weight distribution was uneven. Tandem strollers typically weigh less and fold more compactly which is definitely beneficial when carrying them up stairs, on a bus, and then holding on to them on the bus. It's hard enough to hold onto little ones on a bus if there's only standing room- holding onto a bulky side by side stroller while ensuring it doesn't knock into anybody isn't fun. Tandems are a little easier to hold onto since they fold more compactly.

Honestly though, the crowds alone are enough for me to not recommend a side by side. It's tough navigating the parks through crowds WITHOUT a stroller. Its obviously more difficult having a stroller, and a double is especially stressful. Having a side by side makes it much more difficult to weave between people and just take up too much space in already crowded parks.

We have a 2 1/2 year old and a 1 month old and October will be our first trip with the two of them. The NB will be 6 months at the time we go. Previously it was just my son until our new arrival came along. We are FL Residents and pass holders so we go about 4 times a year. On our first trip with our first son we tried the big stroller/carrier combo, it was just too cumbersome, especially going through the crowds and getting on and off the buses. The next time we used a Graco Breeze stroller, it's bigger then one of the smaller umbrella strollers but smaller then the big ones. Now we have two boys, we have both the side by side jogger and a front/back for everywhere else. We've discussed what we are going to do for the next trip and came up with using the Graco Breeze for our young one (6 months) cause it can be laid down for him to sleep and also can hold the carrier/car seat. For my older son we are going to get a smaller umbrella type stroller. We figured using 2 smaller strollers will be easier then 1 big one. That goes for getting on the bus/monorail/boat etc. and parking it at rides and shows. The two smaller strollers will also take up less space in our car then the bigger doubles.

Regardless of what you choose like was mentioned above, def. have the bottom clear and ready to go before you try to get on the bus. Trust me from someone who's been there and learned, there is nothing worse then being that guy holding the bus up to empty the stroller and fold it up.

Good luck and safe travels.

We will taking our almost 5 year old and 2 1/2 year old daughters to Disney at the end of June for the first time. We plan on using a double stroller and we currently have a front/back double stroller but we are considering renting a side-by-side stroller from one of the local rental places. Would like to get everybody's thoughts/opinions on either one of these types of double strollers before making our reservations for the side-by-side.

Some other info: We are driving down and will be staying at the Contemporary Resort. We plan on taking advantage of Disney transportation (buses, monorail) but not opposed to driving ourselves.
Many years ago we used a side by side double Jeep umbrella stroller for our boys (4 1/2 & 2) Loved it! It was heavy duty with storage below and sun canopies. My boys were big and tall for their ages and it was still was strong enough to withstand 8 days at Disney as well as many other vacations. It was easy to fold up for the trams and reclined enough for our 2 year old to nap when he was tired. I preferred it to our tandem double stroller for travel as it was lighter weight and I could just peek over the top to check on both of them rather than having to walk around to see the one in front.

Without a doubt, I'd use the side by side. We've got 3 kids, including a set of twins. The front/back is narrower, sure, but it's very long. At WDW, that's much more of a pain than a wider stroller. The only time we have had trouble with a double wide is in some of the stores where it'll barely fit through isles. Otherwise, we loved it.

Our kids were the same ages on our trip last Oct. We always rent the CitiMini double. We love it. It is wide but we were using an Uppababy at home and that's really wide for a single. It steers very smoothly too. You said you were driving & staying at the Contemporary. You'll can walk to MK & take the monorail to Epcot. You don't need to fold the stroller for the monorail. Just wheel it right on. Also just so you know, if you are staying on property, you can park at the parks for free.

Citi Mini or Citi Mini GT. We rent from Kingdom Strollers. Never had an issue. The Citi Mini folds so easy and is much more compact than some of the other doubles I see people lug on buses.

We have a Joovy Ultralight at home (front-back double where the back space can be sit or stand). It is NOT Ultralight when 2 kids are in it, it's a pain to fold, it does not maneuver nearly as easily as the City Mini. We got it for home instead of the City Mini because of width issues, but I have rented and will rent the City Mini again for WDW, no question.

I rented a side by side double stroller from Magic Strollers on my last trip for my then 3 year old and 15 month old kids. I plan on doing the same for our upcoming trip, too! I own a front/back double, but find that the side by side works much better for comfort, napping while at park and navigating around while in Disney. The double I rented, City Mini Double, also was a breeze when getting on and off the monorail and the buses! Easy fold up!

Last edited:
Our kids are around the same age as yours and we plan on using the CitiMini GT double this trip. It worked great last trip last year. Kids could help each other out and easier to check in on them at the same time. I find our front/back harder to turn and heavier. Plus less fun/interaction for the kids and more issues with one kicking the other's chair - either inadvertently or, more likely, on purpose. We got the GT as our oldest is tall and I think it gives you a few more inches than the regular CitiMini double.

Delta city street lx side by side... good option that is only $75 if you are looking for a park stroller. I'm not a huge stroller person but for using at Disney... smaller size, easy to use, light weight- not a whistles and bells stroller... it is perfect :)

I'd say generally either are fine, however for the simple purpose of having a place for the kids to sit and watch parades/shows and/or for pictures when they're in the stroller, it may be worth it to get the side by side. We've done both and really either were fine.

As far as the width, if you're renting a citi mini double, you'll be able to fit through all of the doorways at Disney just fine.

Question for you renting stroller from off-site: do you rent because it's less expensive or you like the strollers better? Next trip, my best friend will have a nearly 2 and a 4 years old. And having been bashed in the knees by the side-by-side monsters on the busses and watching people struggle to get them on/off, I was wondering the draw. (not trying to be rude, just getting info for her because I used the park rental)

Question for you renting stroller from off-site: do you rent because it's less expensive or you like the strollers better? Next trip, my best friend will have a nearly 2 and a 4 years old. And having been bashed in the knees by the side-by-side monsters on the busses and watching people struggle to get them on/off, I was wondering the draw. (not trying to be rude, just getting info for her because I used the park rental)

I rent a stroller for a few reasons. First, I never had a real double stroller, just a sit and stand. Ours was an older model we bought used and was very big and bulky. Also, my kids are now old enough to walk through the airport and not having a stroller added to our stuff sure lightens the load.

Secondly, both times I did bring our stroller from home it was damaged when I picked it up at the gate.

I am debating on a single or double. I will have a 2 year old, but also a small 6 year old who would fit in the City double or the Summit X3. What should I do? I hate to rent the single and then have her complain she wants to sit, but is it ridiculous of me to be pushing a large double that will be half empty most of the time? Also, which double is better, City Mini or the Summit? I see no real differences.

I recently purchased a Zoe XL double. It is a side by side and measures 32in wide. Do you think we will be able to fit through doorways in the parks? It's not a super wide stroller, but it's a tight squeeze through our doorways at home. I thought Disney might have wider doorways than ours at home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter