Double Stroller Thoughts?

BOST99

Mouseketeer
My oldest has outgrown strollers at home but I have no doubt she'll need a break in the parks. She's about 48 inches and just under 50 lbs. We've used all the renting options as single strollers but no experience with a double and initial thought is that citi and summit have better sun shades

Any experiences on the double Mini GT, double Summit or double BOB?

Looking for best ride for kiddos and easy pushing for us. We will be walking or driving to parks, unlikely to take the bus.

My opinion is different than most, but here goes...

Those high end strollers are a waste of money. $500 or $600 for a stroller? OMG, no. We used strollers for our kids at WDW, including our twins, until they were 8 or 9. We had a double stroller that we bought from Wal-Mart or Costco or Target, frankly I forget which one specifically. It wasn't the cheapest, flimsy umbrella stroller, but it was around $80. Something similar in concept to this...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kolcraft-Cloud-Double-Umbrella-Stroller-Scarlett-Red/44390754

It worked great for years. Handles weren't too short, had enough shade...the one we had also had storage underneath. We loved it. The last trip we used a stroller for our twins, we had sold that double stroller. So we went on Craigslist (actually near Disney) and bought a used one just like this...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Baby-Trend-Double-Jogger-Millennium/14895501

We paid $50 or $60 for it, I forget. It was bigger and bulkier than the smaller one, but the big wheels made it ridiculously easy to push our twins...who weighed about 80lbs each then. It worked fantastic. Right before we left, I put it back on Craigslist and sold it to another vacationing family for $40.

I'm not suggesting you need to go to all the lengths on Craigslist that I did...though it was actually quite easy...but my point is I think it's a waste to spend $500 on a stroller. There are options that will function exactly the same for $150 or less...way less.

We're planning on using our Citi Double GT on our next trip next year (kids will be nearly 5, nearly 3, and 18 months). Size wise, the older two are "average" for the age whereas the youngest is on the tiny side. We plan to also bring the Ergo carrier for transporting the youngest, in case my daughter is exhausted and needs to ride (vs just hanging on the board)

I think the Citi Double is AMAZING but I don't think it handles quite as well as my friends Bob Duallie. The Bob Duallie is (almost) as easy to push as the single Bob Revolution I think. One thing that I find (and my daughter is only 36 inches) is that she seems to almost "fill" the stroller seat, lengthwise when she's in it. Obviously, you CAN get bigger kids in the GT because it advertises as going bigger but I don't know how that would feel for the 48 inch kid?

Citi sunshade is great, but I do recommend buying a separate parent console for water bottles or whatnot. Because if you don't, an older kid inside can reach up to pull their sunshade out when they get hot.... and all your stuff resting in the "crease" where you could otherwise stick things goes flying. It's happened to us way too many times :)

My opinion is different than most, but here goes...

Those high end strollers are a waste of money. $500 or $600 for a stroller? OMG, no. We used strollers for our kids at WDW, including our twins, until they were 8 or 9. We had a double stroller that we bought from Wal-Mart or Costco or Target, frankly I forget which one specifically. It wasn't the cheapest, flimsy umbrella stroller, but it was around $80. Something similar in concept to this...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kolcraft-Cloud-Double-Umbrella-Stroller-Scarlett-Red/44390754

It worked great for years. Handles weren't too short, had enough shade...the one we had also had storage underneath. We loved it. The last trip we used a stroller for our twins, we had sold that double stroller. So we went on Craigslist (actually near Disney) and bought a used one just like this...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Baby-Trend-Double-Jogger-Millennium/14895501

We paid $50 or $60 for it, I forget. It was bigger and bulkier than the smaller one, but the big wheels made it ridiculously easy to push our twins...who weighed about 80lbs each then. It worked fantastic. Right before we left, I put it back on Craigslist and sold it to another vacationing family for $40.

I'm not suggesting you need to go to all the lengths on Craigslist that I did...though it was actually quite easy...but my point is I think it's a waste to spend $500 on a stroller. There are options that will function exactly the same for $150 or less...way less.
Agreed! We used a Jeep double umbrella stroller that was just like the one here when our boys were younger - and each maxed out the weight limit & then some! Loved it! It was very sturdy and easy to push. It outlasted our needs and then we gave it to a friend to use for her 2 kids on their Disney trip. I highly recommend a nicer double umbrella stroller. We paid for ours about $70-80 brand new.

We rented a city double from Kingdom Strollers, it was 73.50 for 3 days. The stroller was perfectly nice, the rain cover was very useful, but I wouldn't do it again. We brought our own Britax B Agile last time and it was very easy to take it on the plane (gate checked) and handy to have with us in the airport. I also have seen nice Disney themed umbrella strollers for $30 or so, I would get one of those for your older child and bring whatever single heavy-duty stroller you currently use too. If you find it cumbersome traveling with the umbrella stroller or your child doesn't like it, you can always trash it at the end of your trip. If all goes well, you'll get to keep an extra stroller rather than renting one.

We rented a city double from Kingdom Strollers, it was 73.50 for 3 days. The stroller was perfectly nice, the rain cover was very useful, but I wouldn't do it again. We brought our own Britax B Agile last time and it was very easy to take it on the plane (gate checked) and handy to have with us in the airport. I also have seen nice Disney themed umbrella strollers for $30 or so, I would get one of those for your older child and bring whatever single heavy-duty stroller you currently use too. If you find it cumbersome traveling with the umbrella stroller or your child doesn't like it, you can always trash it at the end of your trip. If all goes well, you'll get to keep an extra stroller rather than renting one.
We used a Jeep double umbrella for a few years, but passed that along to a friend. We have a B Agile double as well, which I prefer since it's easier to steer/higher weight limit. We will most likely use it again this year, even though my boys will be 6 and 8 and weight 45-50lbs each. I also love leaving our bag attached to it!

We rented the City GT Double for our last trip and it was great. It pushes so easily and the rain cover was so nice to have.

I don’t think the OP was planning on BUYING a new double stroller, especially when one child doesn’t typically use a stroller at home. They are looking to rent a double stroller while in Orlando and wanted opinions. Several offsite companies rent nice strollers affordably, and will drop off at your hotel, which provides great convenience because you can use them outside of the parks to get back to hotels, more comfortable then the hard plastic Disney ones, but don’t have to lug a big double stroller on the airplane. It’s about $70 for 4-7day rental which would be cheaper than most doubles you could buy.

Related question: I’ve been looking at several rental companies for a double stroller for our trip, but they all seem to be side-by-side and I’d prefer a front/back tandem or even a sit/stand. Does anyone know an agency that offers these?

To the OP, sorry I don’t use side by side double so have no 1st hand knowledge of the ones you mention but I’m following your post to learn...

I would not rent a double. If you are thinking of a double for a higher weight limit its pointless really because its two seperate seats. In fact a single stroller might actually have a wider seat. Definitely rent the GT it has a higher seat back and air filled tires which are a lot easier to push when you are near the top of the weight limit. The GT also has an adjustable handlebar which imo is a must. The Bob is just so huge and you don't get a bigger seat for the child so I would personally skip that one.

I’m looking at renting a Citi. I have twins (almost two), and I prefer side by side strollers. We actually sold our front/back one because we hated it. With side by side they can play together, see the parade/fireworks better, recline better, etc. We have rented a stroller twice before off property and it’s been a super easy process. It’s nice having somewhere to put our cooler and a place where the kids can rest.
I’ve been reading reviews, and the Citi seems to be the most recommended. We had a Bob the first year and I LOVED it, but it was super bulky and a pain for my DH to put up when traveling to the hotel. I’m hoping the Citi is a bit easier to handle.

For a double with a larger kid, City Mini GT. It pushes so nice compared to any umbrella I’ve tried (even the nicer ones). We have a Maclaren umbrella at home, and I can barely move my 45 lb kid in it lol.

In August I rented the double Summit for my special needs boys who both were around 50 pounds. It pushed like a dream with both of them in it. Bulky fold for certain but it was super easy in the parks.

The City Mini GT Double would be the one to rent, the foam filled wheels make for a much smoother ride and much easier to push with less chance of 'tracking' in the various channels across the streets (especially main street!). There are a couple of options:

1. Rent one and have it delivered to your resort / hotel. This means no access to it at the airport but also means you don't have to worry about it!
2. Purchase a used one on craigslist if you can find one at a good price. Take it with you, use it and then resell it for the same as you paid for it when you get home. The 2nd hand market for premium double strollers is actually really strong, so being able to resell it will be relatively easy.

The City mini GT double is smaller than the BOB or the Summit. The footwells of the City Mini GT are also more conducive for larger / taller kids, and the sun shades are much better too. Its ability to fold quickly when needed i.e. bus, boat, car etc.. is also a huge plus.

I have owned most double strollers over the years and have bought and sold them all, the only one I have kept is the City mini GT Double. Its just so versatile and only 5 inches or so wider than their single version! Its magic, i have no idea how either lol.

There is a reason that virtually all of the rental companies are based around the City mini or the City mini GT, it isn't because they are cheap, its because they offer an excellent package for the parks!

I have twins who will be 4 on our trip and I am seriously considering renting the Citi mini Gt. I like the fact that its not much bigger than the single. I am very small so the smaller the stroller the easier it is for me to push. lol. My twins are on the small side (both weigh just under 30 now at 3), and are short so this stroller will be more than enough room for them.

We've rented both the City Mini GT double and the BOB double (and the Summit single!) from Kingdom Strollers. My DD is also past the stroller phase, and just over 48 inches, but she LOVED having somewhere to sit in the parks. I found the double easier than a single, to avoid the inevitable fight when my 2 year old DS was in the stroller but DD wanted to take a break in it, and it allowed us to move more quickly around the parks.

I think we are going to get the City Mini GT double for our June trip. The BOB was great, but it was huge and it made it hard to navigate through crowds. The City Mini GT was easier to get around (although it was a little more cramped for DD), pushed easily, and it folded easier (you just pull a strap) than the Bob.

The Summit single was huge, so I'm sure the double would also be very large and tough to use in crowds.

I'll note that we are big Kingdom Stroller fans, and always rent from them (and add on a case of water).

Thanks for all the input. We are definitley renting as we have no need for a double in everyday life. I think I'm leaning towards the GT.

Thanks for all the input. We are definitley renting as we have no need for a double in everyday life. I think I'm leaning towards the GT.

Our DD6 is almost identical in size. We're renting the same double next week (!!) from Kingdom Strollers because DS2 won't be able to keep up otherwise, and frankly I'm just not willing to fight the battle about who gets to sit in the stroller lol. I can let you know in two weeks how it goes!

My oldest has outgrown strollers at home but I have no doubt she'll need a break in the parks. She's about 48 inches and just under 50 lbs. We've used all the renting options as single strollers but no experience with a double and initial thought is that citi and summit have better sun shades

Any experiences on the double Mini GT, double Summit or double BOB?

Looking for best ride for kiddos and easy pushing for us. We will be walking or driving to parks, unlikely to take the bus.

We have rented the double Mini GT twice, once from Kingdom and once from Magic, and plan to do it one more time in June for our heavy park days. It's very easy to maneuver and folds up pretty well if needed for a bus ride. Our older daughter is 8, about the same size as yours, and she still fits in okay and likes getting the break from walking.

The City Mini GT Double would be the one to rent, the foam filled wheels make for a much smoother ride and much easier to push with less chance of 'tracking' in the various channels across the streets (especially main street!). There are a couple of options:

1. Rent one and have it delivered to your resort / hotel. This means no access to it at the airport but also means you don't have to worry about it!
2. Purchase a used one on craigslist if you can find one at a good price. Take it with you, use it and then resell it for the same as you paid for it when you get home. The 2nd hand market for premium double strollers is actually really strong, so being able to resell it will be relatively easy.

The City mini GT double is smaller than the BOB or the Summit. The footwells of the City Mini GT are also more conducive for larger / taller kids, and the sun shades are much better too. Its ability to fold quickly when needed i.e. bus, boat, car etc.. is also a huge plus.

I have owned most double strollers over the years and have bought and sold them all, the only one I have kept is the City mini GT Double. Its just so versatile and only 5 inches or so wider than their single version! Its magic, i have no idea how either lol.

There is a reason that virtually all of the rental companies are based around the City mini or the City mini GT, it isn't because they are cheap, its because they offer an excellent package for the parks!

We’re renting a double in May. Thanks for your great info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!