Double tandem or double side by side?

cmorrison87

Earning My Ears
We are going to Disney in May with a 18mo old and 3.5 year old and will need to bring a double stroller. Do you recommend a double tandem or double side by side?

I have a baby jogger double city select (with a glider board attachment), a double side by side jogging stroller and my parents (who are going with us) have a double sit and stand we could take (which allows for one seat to come off and my older child could sit on the little bench there, but the seats don't fully recline if my younger one wants to nap). I know I have to fold any stroller up for the buses, but are side by sides too big to remain unfolded on the monorail or are they too big to maneuver through stores? I also don't think the double city select can fold up with the second seat on? We are also flying and planning to gate check whichever stroller we bring and I don't want my pricier city select to get damaged, but it has the most room/comfort.... any help/advice would be appreciated!

What airline are you traveling on? American has a 20 lb gate check stroller limit, my 23 lb stroller made it through without a problem though.

I wouldn't recommend the sit and stand. My kid will be a stroller napper forever, and that wouldn't be practical for us. I feel like I saw plenty of double joggers when I was down there. I'd probably use the one I'd be most comfortable using, whichever one you like folding up and wrangling.

For us, the only way to go was a side by side. The tandems are just too long, it's like piloting a limo. The side by sides are a bit wide, but the only time we ever really found it to be a problem is if we were trying to push it inside a store. But walking around through the parks, the side by side was great.

I’d avoid the sit and stand. We had one and it was basically the fighting stroller. Who gets the good seat? ESP at Disney where they may both be needing naps at the same time. Or just tired.

I’m renting a double for my 3.5 and 6yo for all day disney fun!!

If there's enough adults I'd go with 2 single strollers otherwise a side by side.
It's been a long time for me but when I was deciding on a stroller before my twins were born, WDW was a big factor in what I chose! I made an Excel spreadsheet with pros and cons of every make and model I could find. The one I settled on was the side by side Peg Perego Twin Aria, based on the width (it was a side by side but could fit through doorways) and the weight (at the time it was one of the lightest if not the lightest doubles on the market) and also how it folded into one straight package (you pretty much pulled up and it instantly folded straight--so easy for the buses).
When they were around 3, we bought two umbrella strollers, but good ones so they rode well and were sturdy. Again a long time ago but I lucked out to find two brand new Maclaren Volos on eBay. They were amazing! Lightweight and easy to push. My kids are teens now but I have fond memories of my stroller 'rides' at WDW..

So, measure, weigh and go and see how strollers fold. Consider the single strollers too!

I must be weird. Lots of people like the side by side, but I really like the tandem. No double stroller is easy to push a 5 and 3 year old around in :) but I've never had more of a problem with the tandem than a side by side. I feel like I have an easier time maneuvering it, especially through crowds.

We brought our City Select with two seats last May. It was too big to gate check, and I was nervous about it getting damaged that way. I've read lots of reviews for the custom-made bags for double strollers where the stroller got damaged despite the bag. We decided to put it in a large, sturdy suitcase; we added some padding and made sure that everything was well packed and wouldn't shift around, and then just checked it with our luggage. We did have to pay for the checked bag. No problems either coming or going back home. It cost more than gate checking a stroller (hard to beat free!) but we felt more confident that it wouldn't be damaged despite the way that checked bags get treated. We got to use the stroller that our kids were used to and, due to the length of the trip, it was still less expensive than renting.

I will say that it was harder to fold up and get onto the bus than some strollers, but it was manageable. I was in charge of the kids and the bags. DH was in charge of the stroller on the bus. If I remember correctly, he took one seat off, folded the stroller, and then kind of nested the loose seat into the one that was still attached. It took both hands to carry it onto the bus comfortably, but it was not a problem for us. One time I had the stroller, two kids, and bags all to myself. That was harder. Since my hands (and shoulders) were full, I had to verbally direct the kiddos on what to do and trust that they'd do it. They were champs, but if one of them bolted I would have had to drop everything to chase them. If I had to handle things alone the whole time, I wouldn't want the City Select.

We loved having the City Select in the park. Our kids were comfortable, we had all of the features we were used to (I love that basket), and we could get through the park easily.

I have brought a double City Select and a double Joovy Caboose (which is a sit and stand - one regular seat/one bench.)

On our first trip with both kids we used the City Select. We actually had both strollers on our last trip because we flew with the Joovy Caboose and my parents drove our City Select down with them.

It is a tough one. With the City Select, it is a little annoying to remove the second seat for the bus. The sit & stand was great for the bus.

For our needs in the park, though, the City Select was best for us. More storage space and my 3 year old could lay down in a regular seat to take a rest. I wasn’t sure if she would still fall asleep in the stroller, but sure enough - she did! I was thankful to have a regular seat for her so she could get some rest to recharge.

I can’t weigh in on the side by side, but my vote on City Select vs sit & stand is City Select.

Also, we purchased a padded travel bag for gate checking our City Select on a previous trip. You do have to remove the wheels to get it in the bag, though. The stroller was very well protected in it.

I must be weird. Lots of people like the side by side, but I really like the tandem. No double stroller is easy to push a 5 and 3 year old around in :) but I've never had more of a problem with the tandem than a side by side. I feel like I have an easier time maneuvering it, especially through crowds.

I really like our tandem (actually sit and stand) stroller too. We have the Joovy Ultralight Caboose with the extra seat you can attach in the back over the bench. It's only about 6" longer than a traditional single stroller and both seats can recline at the same time.

There were a ton of double jogging strollers at Disney the last time we were there. It gets a little awkward in the monorail if more than 3 in a car, but it is manageable. I would go with the more comfortable stroller knowing that the odds were slim of it being damaged during the gate check process. Worst case scenario, you can always rent from a stroller rental company while you are down there. Plus, you have the stroller you didn't bring at home.

Our single bob stroller takes up quite a bit of space in the monorail. I would advise against the tandem as it may be too long to get into the monorail compartments. I would also advise against the sit and stand. The key is to keep those kids comfortable. Naps in the stroller are very likely...even for the 3.5 year old. Our 3.5 year old would pass out for a quick snooze even though she gave up naps a year before our trip. We bought a stroller bag on amazon to gate check our stroller. It has been beat up but our stroller has been ok so far.

Naps in the stroller are very likely...even for the 3.5 year old. Our 3.5 year old would pass out for a quick snooze even though she gave up naps a year before our trip.

Last trip our 3 year old didn't nap in the stroller, but our 5 year old did more than once :D He never naps at home! Sometimes WDW just wears them out.

In the last condo/HOA type multi dwelling I lived in, I did a study and report for the Board of Directors about in line vs side by side double strollers.
The advantages for the side by side boiled down to the following:

Parents can see both children with less movement; more ease of directional movement for certain brands (one of the Citi models excelled at this but don't recall which one for the minute; not hard to look up). More non compartmentalized storage making it great for large shopping.

Disadvantages:

Harder to open and enter doorways w/o additional help. often up to 3 people are needed at a doorway. One to push the stroller, one to open the 2nd door (might be optional) and one to hold the door from behind the stroller pusher if the door is not automatic.
Tend to weigh more; harder to fold and takes up more storage space in general.
Residence specific: Many models were wider than some of our elevators and scraped the paint off the side of the door frames costing an annual average of just under 10K in maintenance and repair cost over a 2 year period or just under 20K for 24 months. More intrusive for lobby traffic patterns when 2 or more side by side parents opted to socialize.

Inline strollers advantages:

Most brands weighed less, were easier to fold, and took up less storage space. "Drove" more like a car due to additional length. Less disruptive parent gathering problems in lobby; also true on sidewalks. Less people needed to assist stroller pusher in entering buildings.

Disadvantages:

More movement needed to view children. More compartmentalized storage which makes grocery or large scale shopping harder.

After I presented the report to the board it was released to the owners and a vote was taken: In line strollers won by a vast majority. A 2 year moratorium allowed side by side owners time to change but they were required to leave an additional security deposit for damage to the public areas. New residents were prohibited from using side by side strollers in the building.

Last edited:
The narrower the better, IMO. When we had a stroller we took 2 for one trip and then a sit and stand for another (plus another with just one stroller because we only had one kid). But it was nice to be able to walk single file thru the crowds with a stroller not wider then a persons body.

Fast forward to this year when we went in August and I can't tell you the amount of side by sides that we had to watch out for. They needed a larger space to move and they were not walking side by side with their partner but still single file or trying to squeeze into a narrow space. I am sure people like it because their kids can see each other but...

My kids were not stroller nappers plus we took mid day breaks so the full recline was not necessary for us.

I’d avoid the sit and stand. We had one and it was basically the fighting stroller. Who gets the good seat? ESP at Disney where they may both be needing naps at the same time. Or just tired.

I’m renting a double for my 3.5 and 6yo for all day disney fun!!

Which is the good seat? We had a sit and stand for our 2.5 and just 6 yo and they both wanted the bench seat. We had the older sitting facing the back and younger facing forward holding on the seat back. I don't remember but I bet we had a bag tucked in the front seat.

Have you thought about 2 separate strollers. We found that for our family 2 separate strollers worked best. This way if one is asleep the other kiddo can't wake them up, as well when they get over tired they can't aggravate each other. Plus if you want to split up you can easily do it. For instance if one kiddo needs a real nap, you or some else can break off and head back to the resort. The reason for the real nap statement, is my DD was not a good stroller napper, she would do it but not for long enough, plus she was one of those kids that slept all over the bed. So putting her down in a bed always worked best for me. Plus its easier to check them, they fold up easier for bus travel. A single stroller is easier to move through the crowds and stores, as well as additional storage with 2 strollers, more cup holders and such. Just a thought.

Which is the good seat? We had a sit and stand for our 2.5 and just 6 yo and they both wanted the bench seat. We had the older sitting facing the back and younger facing forward holding on the seat back. I don't remember but I bet we had a bag tucked in the front seat.

Haha. I think my kids are lazy. They both wanted the comfy seat. Eventually we just started taking a wagon places which they both like. But I’m not taking that to Disney.

As mentioned above if you have two kids and they still nap AND you want them to nap in park, the City Select double is magic. The fully reclining seats make excellent sleeping spots and it has huge storage as well. As mentioned worst part is popping the second seat off for the bus, but it becomes second nature after awhile. We have a double bob as well, but always use the City Select for Disney and the airPort.

Snoozing away.
p.png

The City mini double is only circa 5inches wider than a single. The sit and stand is very practical for moving, but less so for relaxing and sleeping or for getting out of the sun.

Some companies are offering a 'wagon' that folds up and disney considers a stroller, not sure how it would work with younger kids but may be worth a look?

I personally would do the city mini gt double, lots of room, comfy and easy to fold.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter