Dover...things to do before the cruise

Dizzydizney

Mouseketeer
Hello...we will be renting a car (Hertz) from Heathrow and will be turning it in at their place on Snargate Drive by the Dover terminal, then start our cruise. Will be spending one night in Maidstone and two at an Inn in Dover. If anyone is familiar with the area, would you mind critiquing my plans? Our night in Maidstone will be spent hitting the sack, then head out early after breakfast and visit Leeds Castle (will purchase tickets ahead of time). From there will find our way to the Inn in Dover. Two things we want to do.....visit Dover Castle and also the Cathedral in Canterbury. Can these two things be done in one day? Or is it better to do one each day? My husband is looking forward to eating local cheeses and breads. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help. We were originally going to stay in London for three nights, but we weren't feeling comfortable about staying in the city. We live close to NYC and never go there either! And does anyone know if Snargate Drive (Road? Street?) is within walking distance of the pier?
Thank you.

Pretty sure the Hertz car hire is over the road from the pier, or not far from it. I would say drop someone off with the luggage at the pier then drop car off as this will be easier that trying to cross the road with your luggage.

I would allow a day to do Dover Castle as to not rush it. Canterbury Cathedral wouldn't take more than half a day but it makes for a tight day if doing both in one day as you have to factor the travel between the two places.

Wouldn't really say Kent is famous for local cheeses and breads so can't suggest anything

Arrive in Heathrow pick up car drive to Maidstone Then ( A ) Check into Hotel & then do Leeds Castle

( B ) Drive on to Leeds Castle & then back to Hotel

Next day drive to Canterbury Cathedral & on to Dover

Next Day do Dover Castle & hand back car

Pretty sure the Hertz car hire is over the road from the pier, or not far from it. I would say drop someone off with the luggage at the pier then drop car off as this will be easier that trying to cross the road with your luggage.

I would allow a day to do Dover Castle as to not rush it. Canterbury Cathedral wouldn't take more than half a day but it makes for a tight day if doing both in one day as you have to factor the travel between the two places.

Wouldn't really say Kent is famous for local cheeses and breads so can't suggest anything

That was my plan...I'm the driver usually...DH has no sense of direction. Was going to drop him off by the cruise terminal with all the luggage, drop off car and make my way back to the cruise terminal.

The Inn we are staying at talks about the Kent Downs and how it is near this farming area....DH saw where they talked about cheese. I don't care....as long as there is beer nearby!

Thanks for your insight about Canterbury and Dover. We have enough time to dedicate one day to each, so that is what we will do.

Arrive in Heathrow pick up car drive to Maidstone Then ( A ) Check into Hotel & then do Leeds Castle

( B ) Drive on to Leeds Castle & then back to Hotel

Next day drive to Canterbury Cathedral & on to Dover

Next Day do Dover Castle & hand back car

If we were landing in Heathrow early in the morning, would definitely follow this plan. But we will be in Italy for 12 days, then fly from Rome to Heathrow, landing early afternoon and then will somehow get to the Hertz counter. I'm hoping to make it to Maidstone without causing an incident.

Thank you both for the help!

Beer will not be a problem, lots of country pubs to try :) There used to be a lovely pub at St Margarets Bay which is about 20 min drive from Dover, it was right on the beach.

Beer will not be a problem, lots of country pubs to try :) There used to be a lovely pub at St Margarets Bay which is about 20 min drive from Dover, it was right on the beach.

Thank you for this. Will most likely do Dover Castle in the morning and then check out St Margarets Bay. I just ordered a Garmin GPS with European Maps included. I realized a few days ago that I won't be able to use my google maps and Waze on my iphone without being charged plenty of $$$ from my carrier. Much easier using one of these anyway instead of drainging the iphone....

There are also a few pubs along the seafront in Deal, which again is not far from Dover. Its a lovely walk from Walmer along the front into Deal

If you interested in history and awesome views, while in Dover you may want to visit the Battle of Britain Museum. You just need an hour but well worth the stop! Awesome photo stop too.
"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed to so many by so few" Winston Churchill.

Thanks everyone for all the info. The drive from Heathrow to Maidstone was a nightmare. Thank goodness the nice lady at Hertz upgraded us to an Audi with built in GPS. We were supposed to take the M26, but it was closed due to an accident, so had to take the longer way, M25, that just crawled along. We finally got off that and learned that, too, was closed soon after due to an accident. A one hour trip turned into 3. The Hilton in Maidstone was quite nice, had really good tasting fish and chips and a great breakfast buffet. Was only a few miles from Leeds Castle, which was so beautiful. They were getting ready for a big garden festival and the Castle's 900 year anniversary.

Our bed and breakfast was The Oast, about 8 miles north of Dover. What a wonderful place. They really only cooked breakfast, but they have a wonderful pub and they did have meat and cheese platters for dinner....we tried all three and DH was happy they had cheeses he loved.

We only ended up going to Canterbury....more accidents and some kind of gridlock around Canterbury. The cathedral was covered with scaffolding and we opted not to go in. We just enjoyed walking around town. DH found a barber shop....and real old fashioned one, we don't see those at home. He needed a hair cut before the cruise. We were too stressed to see Dover Castle. We just went back to our Inn and relaxed and enjoyed the countryside.

All the English people we met were just so wonderful and friendly and helpful. We will definitely go back one day to visit. But will most likely utilized the train.....driving was very stressful with everything being the opposite of what I'm used to.

Thanks again.

Thanks everyone for all the info. The drive from Heathrow to Maidstone was a nightmare. Thank goodness the nice lady at Hertz upgraded us to an Audi with built in GPS. We were supposed to take the M26, but it was closed due to an accident, so had to take the longer way, M25, that just crawled along. We finally got off that and learned that, too, was closed soon after due to an accident. A one hour trip turned into 3. The Hilton in Maidstone was quite nice, had really good tasting fish and chips and a great breakfast buffet. Was only a few miles from Leeds Castle, which was so beautiful. They were getting ready for a big garden festival and the Castle's 900 year anniversary.

Our bed and breakfast was The Oast, about 8 miles north of Dover. What a wonderful place. They really only cooked breakfast, but they have a wonderful pub and they did have meat and cheese platters for dinner....we tried all three and DH was happy they had cheeses he loved.

We only ended up going to Canterbury....more accidents and some kind of gridlock around Canterbury. The cathedral was covered with scaffolding and we opted not to go in. We just enjoyed walking around town. DH found a barber shop....and real old fashioned one, we don't see those at home. He needed a hair cut before the cruise. We were too stressed to see Dover Castle. We just went back to our Inn and relaxed and enjoyed the countryside.

All the English people we met were just so wonderful and friendly and helpful. We will definitely go back one day to visit. But will most likely utilized the train.....driving was very stressful with everything being the opposite of what I'm used to.

Thanks again.

Glad you enjoyed your stay. The M25 is a nightmare most days. I travel from Maidstone to Gatwick which is closer than Heathrow and it easily takes me over an hour to get home even longer to get there due to the time I have to go in the morning

With the addition of the high speed trains getting around kent is quite pleasureable on trains.

I went to university in Canterbury but used to come home to Essex at the weekend. I Soon gave up driving and just got the train so easy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!