Downside to AP?

chico

keeping a low profile
Hi all,

Just wondering about AP's and if there is any downside to getting one for our upcoming trip? We're booked into ASMo Dec 6 -14, and hoping for Cdn rates to come out.

With the AP rates just released does it make sense to change ressies for AP (planning on 5 days in parks along with Cirque, and MVMCP) or wait and see? We're always thinking in the backs of our minds about returning next year...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

The only downside to a AP is that "makes" you go back again and again within your AP year :eek:
I think ours actually spoke to us in a quiet tone saying - "goooooo back........gooooo back......... live the magic...." ;)
You also start freaking out about 2 months prior to it's expiration date trying to re-arrange your life to squeeze in one more Disney trip :p :p :p

Now for the upside.....
We purchased ours because I somewhere that the price point for AP was around 7 1/2 days. So if you plan to be at the parks for a total of 8 or so days over the next year you should probably buy it. I found it also gives the flexibility to just go to the park when you want, without worrying about using a day on your PH. Example if you purchase a 5 day PHP and are actually there for 9 days, with a AP you have better flexibility to do whatever, whenever.
I liked it because if we planned a pool day, then decided at the last minute to dine in park, or see fireworks we could just go - instead of using one day park pass.

The hotel discounts are a great perk if you can use them (we didn't) and there are other discounts - mini golf, dining, etc., which is good. One tip - find out what the discounts are and don't forget to present your AP - half the time I forgot, thus didn't get the 10% or whatever it was :o

The AP newsletter was also a nice little perk - it outlines upcoming exclusive events, pins, etc.

As far as changing your res with AP - if you look at the Resort Board it looks as if some are saving a lot of $$$ You can always call and see if it applies to you and then decide.

I hope this helps.

Chico - We're having the same debate in our family. At this point I have 4 nights booked at regular rates at Pop Century over New Years, followed by two separate 3 night reservations at AAA rates for WL and the Poly. If we get good January AP rates, then we'll go ahead and at least buy one AP. If not, I'll compare the overall cost to the cost of the Canadian Parkhoppers. We'll be at Disney for 9 days (plus a 4 day Wonder cruise) but if the Canadian Parkhopper turns out to be a really good deal, I can easily manage 7 days in the parks and 2 days at the water parks/hotels/Downtown Disney. If discounted Canadian passes don't apply to our dates (or aren't available at all) I think the AP begins to make more sense. We'd love to squeeze in a second trip in November (a cheapie one - HA HA) but that's a bit dubious, so I'd like to make sure the APs make economic sense for just this one trip.

So, we're looking at one of:

a) 4 Canadian 7 day parkhopper plus passes
b) 4 annual passes
c) 1 annual pass & 3 Canadian passes.

I'm just thinking out loud, Chico. It looks like your stay is about as long as ours. By the way, many people don't actually change their ressie. They book a second one, do the math, and then cancel one of them. I think for us it makes sense to actually have an AP ressie before buying an AP. Just a few thoughts.

But to make it worth your while you do have to be staying a week or so or at least have another visit 'in the works'!

I love the flexibility of not having to feel the need to spend an entire day in a park..and just drop in and out on a whim! You don't feel right doing that knowing it blows a whole day off a Parkhopper.

We just got back last Thursday (Don't recall how to remove countdown...:rolleyes: ) and bought them again. Yes...it will make me go again within the year...but I am at New Years and likely would anyway even if that wasn't in the plans!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter