Downtown Disney before flight?

spyhill

Earning My Ears
We (h, w, toddler, and baby) have about eight hours between the end of our Disney cruise and our flight home. Someone suggested checking into the airport early and spending the day at DTD. Is this a good idea and does anyone know how much cabfare would be b/w MCO and DTD? Thanks!

Hi, Spyhill
We went to DTD the morning we were leaving, and it was very nice. We only spent about 3 1/2 hours there, but the kids played at the Lego store, we shopped for awhile and had lunch at the Rainforest Cafe. The kids also rode the carousel and we took lots of pictures. Of course, you could do alot more with more time. I can't help with the cabfare question, as we had rented a car. But I think it's a nice way to spent a few hours that last day. Have a great time, whatever you decide!

MrsMud

I would think the fare would be similar to renting a towncar from the airport to Disney. Certainly cheaper than MEARS.

Another tip--be sure to pack one "empty" suitcase for your purchases. You'll probably find several things you just can't live without before heading home !

:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsgirl:

Just took a cab 2 weeks ago from MCO to the Boardwalk area. It was $43 one way before the tip. On the return trip, it was $47.50 before the tip. So altogether we paid between $105 and $110 (forget the exact amount) round trip.

MCO is a bit further away than it seems. Maybe 30 to 40 min depending on the time.

overviewmap.gif

A rental would probably be the cheapest way but a towncar is another possibilty.

http://www.tiffanytowncar.com/tc_rates.html

We had the same problem when we went on the cruise last year. Being that they allow you to leave the ship so early, we took the 3 minute shuttle to the car rental. It only cost about $35 for the day and we dropped it off at the airport. It was so convenient.

Thanks so much to everyone.
Re: the last post, is it really just $30 or $40 for the day--you know how they always seem to add on mysterious charges and taxes and what-not!

Also, what happens to your luggage if you don't use Disney's cruise transfers but go out on your own? Do you have to carry your own luggage on the shuttle (we will have 4 suitcases and two toddlers and a stroller!)

You are required to take your own luggage if you decide not to use the transfers. We really did only pay $30-$40 but I had to keep price checking. We used either Hertz or Avis. I know it was the rental closest to the docks.

Some credit cards cover some of the car rental insurances if you pay with them. Checking this saves a lot of money.

We'll be facing the same situation when we cruise this August. We haven't decided where to go yet but we'll be renting a car from Avis as they are closer to the port terminals than Hertz and their car return at the airport is at the terminal. Hertz is off-site.

Right now, we are paying $48 for a full-size car (need the luggage room). There is no additional charge for the one-way rental and if you book on their website, you should get a complete breakdown of the costs. I'm keeping an eye out for discount codes that might bring that cost even lower.

You would need a car with enough space to stow all your luggage and stroller. You will also need to handle the luggage yourselves once you're out of the port terminal.

It is about one hour from Port Canaveral to WDW. The drive to MCO from WDW will take you another 30 to 40 minutes. Remember to add additional time for dropping off the car. Parking at DTD is free.

We just got back from 2/9 cruise yesterday. Planned to rent a car, but at the last minute my wife talked to a Disney rep, who said we could use our transfer to go to Disney resort (we actually went to Downtown Disney for the day and they dropped us off right at Pleasure Island--we were there by 9:20 AM). Then we took a cab to the airport for about $35 after spending a fantastic day at DD.
Best of all, when you get off the ship, there are airline reps who check you in--so they take your luggage for you right away and you never see it again until you get home.
It was fantastic--and a lot less stressful than renting a car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter