Downtown Disney Movie Theater

Derek Cronin

Kid Disney
Hello everyone,

If you guys go to the parks as often as I do (about once a month) then you have noticed a lot of changes in Downtown Disney. A lot of changes were made in anticipation of the new luxury hotel which was supposed to be built down by ESPN Zone and the Rainforest cafe. That hotel fell through due to the city of Anaheim and Disney not seeing eye to eye (shocker!!).

They had an AMC theater there that is now just sitting there. I wish they would turn that into a DISNEY theater. They could play older Disney movies like Mary Poppins, The Jungle Book, A goofy movie and others. I think that would be a hit for them, especially with the locals.

They could charge $10 a movie for movies that have been released for years. They could even have special events for new Disney movies as they are released.

Maybe you could even rent out a whole theater for you and some friends and have a list of movies to pick from.

Is there any reason why they shouldn't do this?

Is there any reason they can't do this?

What do you guys think?

-Derek

Not sure how busy that AMC was when it was open. My guess is that most out of town visitors wouldn't want to spend the time watching a current release movie. For locals, there are plenty of places to catch movies, and it's a big space, so I'd rather they use it for something uniquely Disney.

It would be neat if they had a unique, Disney-fied 1 or 2 screen theater somewhere in DTD that could play the latest Disney release as well as a classic movie. Something like the El Capitan in Hollywood.

Note: they hold screenings of past Disney movies at DLH, so maybe there is a market for that. But in my opinion, they can do something much more "Disney" with that large space instead of a generic movie theater.

We would go to the movies at that AMC Theater every time we went to Disneyland. It was a great way to spend the afternoon out of the heat and crowds. We then would have an early dinner and head back to the parks. We were very disappointed it was closed and is still empty. It would be nice to have another movie theater there.

They wouldn’t because a multi-plex dedicated to Disney wouldn’t make enough money, even there.

I agree. Now, maybe if they just had one or two screens and did show all of the classics as events, that could work, but that AMC was way too big. Maybe they could save one or two auditoriums and re-purpose the rest of the building.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!