Downtown Disney Security - Running in early AM?

Delilah1310

DIS Veteran
Hi all. It just occurred to me that with the change in security locations, my husband may not be able to do his daily run through Downtown Disney around 5 or 5:30 am.
What time do security guards set up and start checking?
And what happens in the overnight hours in downtown Disney - it simply can't be accessed?
If Downtown Disney is closed, any suggestions of where he can run with low traffic?
thanks!

Hi all.
Just bringing this back up since our trip is getting closer ...
Does anyone know for sure if my DH can go for a run in Downtown Disney around 5 or 5:30 everyday?

Just checking to see if anyone has done this, if it is feasible, or if he needs to plan an alternate route.

Also, we are staying at the Grand Californian - do they still have the early morning group walk in DCA?

thanks in advance!

Downtown Disney is never “closed” - there’s either security staff or not, but there aren’t gates that lock or anything. I haven’t done it myself in ages, but I know people who’ve walked through at 3am or something and there just isn’t security.

Security is open very early because of Starbucks, so I imagine he’ll hit security, in any case.

Disney moved the borders of security. The entire area from the outer areas of the DL resort is all one big security bubble. So since you are at GC you are already inside. As long as he doesn’t crossover into the city area ( good neighbor hotels ) he will be fine. And you will not need to go through security again to go from hotel to DL park.

Disney moved the borders of security. The entire area from the outer areas of the DL resort is all one big security bubble. So since you are at GC you are already inside. As long as he doesn’t crossover into the city area ( good neighbor hotels ) he will be fine. And you will not need to go through security again to go from hotel to DL park.
That’s actually not accurate; the hotels are not in the security bubble. So when you go from the Grand into either DCA or DD, you go through security.

Also, we are staying at the Grand Californian - do they still have the early morning group walk in DCA?

We did the walk a month ago, while staying at the Paradise Pier. It is limited to 20 guests from the three Disney hotels, and I was told all slots are always taken, so you should probably register for the walk when you check in to the hotel (I tried to register for the walk a couple of days before hand, but was told I couldn't register until I had checked in).

Last edited:
Hi all.
Just bringing this back up since our trip is getting closer ...
Does anyone know for sure if my DH can go for a run in Downtown Disney around 5 or 5:30 everyday?

Just checking to see if anyone has done this, if it is feasible, or if he needs to plan an alternate route.
It is open all night, no security after about 2am. Security reset at 530am. Starbucks opens at 5am. He can run through, but about 530, they do a quick sweep, and set security then. No biggie.

thanks in advance!
Yes, but it is more of a slow jog than a walk. It is called a power walk, and they maintain a 15 min mile. You can find a recent review here. https://www.disboards.com/threads/paradise-pier-club-level.3760834/page-2#post-60922519

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter