Downward trend in runDisney?

1.Overall drop in people signing up for races in and outside Disney

2.Price,nearly $200 for a race,I tell people that I pay that for a race and they look at me like I'm insane,I dont even bring up Goofy or Dopey if I want to ever talk to them again

3.removal of night races and fun races like ToT and Expedition Everest that helped bring in new runners,getting up at 2am is not fun and a race like ToT had great pre race atmosphere with hundreds of runners who were awake dancing to the DJ,you dont see that any more,as well as after parties,W&D doesnt count,you get up at 2am do you really want to go to a party that night,runners dont even go,its not the same if its not after the race.Also if you dont have races to appeal to younger runners the numbers will drop across the brand,older runners drop off,things like the Dopey challenge doesnt encourage or help,only so many people can do that year in year out,physically and financially.

4.More importantly to keep bringing runners back its not good that all the weekends feel the same,bring back night races with after parties,how about doing new courses,how about one random year we run the full in reverse,will it mess up traffic,sure but I bet that year it sells out

5.Get rid of "I did it" merchandise,I find it horribly tacky.I just drove to the outlets cause I heard they had marathon shirts,$10.99 for "I did it" finishers shirts that were probably $36 at the expo,I passed.

Do it. It's a load of fun. The course has the most park time of any RD race I've done including Anaheim races. Tip number 1, make sure to make eye contact and acknowledge anyone in service with a simple Bonjour or Bonsoir depending on the time of day. This will go along way to how your experience goes!

Can't recommend Get Travel enough, they made the whole thing seamless and the discounts for the rooms & park tickets cannot be beat. I would try to stay at Hotel Sante Fe or Hotel Cheyenne to keep the price down. These hotels are compatible to what you expect from the value resorts which is fine because at the end of the day you'll be exhausted from running and trying to see everything.. The only downside is the walk is a bit longer than the three resorts on the lake at Downtown Disney.

Yes, the addition is real. DH encouraged me to do the DLP 36k challenge last year even though it caused some travel challenges. I stayed at Sequoia, and booked the entire weekend (hotel, tickets, 36k challenge, part board and their version of magical express) directly with DLP during the same stay 2 nights, get 2 nights offer as NovatrixIf you are seriously thinking about doing it read the 2018 Disneyland Paris run thread so you know the issues that occurred; I covered some of them in my race report in the 2018 running thread too. Feel free to pm me if you want to and I can give you costs.

Thanks guys. Part of the sickness issue is checking the prices when I know that the trip isn’t really possible this year for many reasons. I do want to earn that Castle to Chateau medal one of these years though.

Thanks guys. Part of the sickness issue is checking the prices when I know that the trip isn’t really possible this year for many reasons. I do want to earn that Castle to Chateau medal one of these years though.

Hopefully you get to do it someday.

The Castle to Chateau medal is gorgeous and it was really interesting to see what was different and what was the same between Disneyland Paris and Disney World (particularly It's a Small World). As to the pros and cons, as Levar Burton always used to say on Reading Rainbow, "you don't have to take my word for it" since it's always so much more fun to experience for oneself!

2.Price,nearly $200 for a race, I tell people that I pay that for a race and they look at me like I'm insane, I don't even bring up Goofy or Dopey if I want to ever talk to them again

Well, people think you're crazy for paying to run no matter what the price. Why give someone money to torture you?

The marathon is actually pretty reasonable compared to the ones in my area (cheaper than one, only slightly more expensive than two others) , especially when you consider the level of on course support. The rest of the races are certainly more expensive, but then that's Disney.

the Disney half was exactly the same cost as the US National Triathlon. Different experiences (apples and oranges is really best) but both races were fun, with tons of water, relative safe (Cleveland had its own set of challenges including the swim/weather). Both are destination races. You qualify for Nationals so its the best of the best in a sense, so the vibe is different than WDW. US Nationals had more water on a 10k run course that I could ever imagine; completely closed roads to the bikers in Cleveland on major thorough fares was amazing. Why compare these two? Because they examples of large scale, significant events that people travel miles including flying in (BTW flying a bike is a major deal). I paid for both and I was equally satisfied that for the money I spent I received a well executed experience (Cleveland is a great city not sure if the timing was right for the venue and that race).

FWIW, the smaller fields of the 2019 Marathon weekend races could not have made me happier! This "downward trend" is taking things back to the more sane days of old (which really is not that old), when races rarely sold out, fields were smaller, and race experiences far more pleasant with less course congestion. If rD's doing something to contribute to this, I'm in for it! But I'd still like a Frequent Racer discount. :)

FWIW, the smaller fields of the 2019 Marathon weekend races could not have made me happier! This "downward trend" is taking things back to the more sane days of old (which really is not that old), when races rarely sold out, fields were smaller, and race experiences far more pleasant with less course congestion. If rD's doing something to contribute to this, I'm in for it! But I'd still like a Frequent Racer discount. :)
I remember how even at my slower speed, I could stop for some character photos in 2011 and 2012 at the runDisney races I did that there. But for all 3 Star Wars races in Disneyland, I didn't dare stop for those insane 30 minute minimum character lines.

I don't know that runDisney will worry until the numbers really concern them. And honestly, I think it's probably actually for the better that races don't sell out. I've talked to so many people that tried for a race weekend, but couldn't get in, or one spouse got registered, but the other couldn't. I think from their persecutive having enough supply to meet demand is better for new guests than having too much demand and too little supply.

This will be the 2nd consecutive year im running in the star wars half marathon. I will also tell you, its my last Disney race for awhile. Money is the main issue. I can sign up and do about maybe 4 to 5 races compared to one half marathon at Disney. I am not complaining I am making a point. I thought the race was a lot of fun last year and I am looking forward to it this year too. I just think the price is crazy. I was shocked to see the 5k hasn't even sold out yet. My friend who lives there says not all Disney races are selling out like they used to. Its a shame.

Why is it a shame? If they don't sell out people who didn't know about it, needed to wait for any number of reasons to sign up, or just decided to do it can if they are open longer or even weekend of.
I for one am quite happy that I don't have to do the mad dash to sign up as soon as race registration opens up in order to participate.
Also I'd be willing to bet that Star Wars Race weekend will sell out in 2020.

Why is it a shame? If they don't sell out people who didn't know about it, needed to wait for any number of reasons to sign up, or just decided to do it can if they are open longer or even weekend of.
I for one am quite happy that I don't have to do the mad dash to sign up as soon as race registration opens up in order to participate.
Also I'd be willing to bet that Star Wars Race weekend will sell out in 2020.
All of that ^, plus I loved having smaller fields in the races at WDW Marathon Weekend this year! So much less course congestion.

All good points re lack of sell-outs, especially if it causes RD to drop the price a little or offer more discounts to frequent runners, DVCers, AP holders, etc. My only concern is that at some point Disney decides to drop more race weekends, although I have no idea how close we are to that. Marathon Weekend is probably safe, but I have no idea about any of the others. I'd love to see Tower of Terror come back!

1.Overall drop in people signing up for races in and outside Disney

2.Price,nearly $200 for a race,I tell people that I pay that for a race and they look at me like I'm insane,I dont even bring up Goofy or Dopey if I want to ever talk to them again

3.removal of night races and fun races like ToT and Expedition Everest that helped bring in new runners,getting up at 2am is not fun and a race like ToT had great pre race atmosphere with hundreds of runners who were awake dancing to the DJ,you dont see that any more,as well as after parties,W&D doesnt count,you get up at 2am do you really want to go to a party that night,runners dont even go,its not the same if its not after the race.Also if you dont have races to appeal to younger runners the numbers will drop across the brand,older runners drop off,things like the Dopey challenge doesnt encourage or help,only so many people can do that year in year out,physically and financially.

4.More importantly to keep bringing runners back its not good that all the weekends feel the same,bring back night races with after parties,how about doing new courses,how about one random year we run the full in reverse,will it mess up traffic,sure but I bet that year it sells out

5.Get rid of "I did it" merchandise,I find it horribly tacky.I just drove to the outlets cause I heard they had marathon shirts,$10.99 for "I did it" finishers shirts that were probably $36 at the expo,I passed.

Agree with all of these points! I did the last Expedition Everest race and had so much fun!!!

I also wish they would get rid of the "I did it" merch!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter