Dragon float caught on fire !!!!

Back at Animal kingdom lodge now so can write a bit more, sorry for the sketchy details was trying to get back to resort with 1.5 year old in tow.

Few things.

Disney CM response was amazing ... literally amazing. Seemed like specific CMs were assigned to specific characters to evacuate it was very well coordinated.

The perimeter they set up was crazy well done and surprisingly was set up by custodial. Like those sweeping folks everywhere just seemed to appear from everywhere and set up a blockade with criss crossed brooms and stuff and then expanded to perimeter slowly.

The panic (near where we were) was caused by people (one person in particular near us) who started screaming about there being gas on fire and possible explosions etc... and people started running and pushing strollers like bulldozers.

All in all exceptionally well handled by Disney staff and I very much hope that both everyone is ok and that Disney takes this as a demonstration of how WELL their systems are set up rather than the risk that exists.

As part of a management team, we had to read a book written by a former Disney employee on leadership etc (I can't remember what book it was now).... In the book the author wrote about how Disney has a practiced procedure/response for every possible situation. He even talks briefly about having a response for if a horse dies during a parade, so their response here was probably rehearsed and well thought out. Which is pretty amazing and makes me feel safe in most situations there.

If anyone needs a dragon fix, you can head over to Universal...
View attachment 322030
But there’s doesn’t impress me. Disney’s actually moved
So many good memes on the internet of this.
My friend on Facebook mentioned universal is missing a huge marketing opportunity here. With Busch Gardens Tampa’s power outage this isn’t a good weekend for the Central Florida parks at all... universal might need to watch out... I’ll go protect legoland

Dc8IrlRW4AAMtYk.jpg

Via twitter
:scared1:

(After watching posted video clip) Although it was fine to have Aurora and Prince Philip ...I think they totally should have had Malificient and some of the henchmen in there....it just screamed generic and when is Disney ever generic??? I'm sorry but thumbs down...

Last edited:
But there’s doesn’t impress me. Disney’s actually moved
I think the Gringotts dragon is pretty cool!

Universal had a Mardi Gras float this year that spouted fire from the four corners. I remember wondering about the risk, since they let guests ride.

That float with Aurora and her prince does not match the theming of the rest of the floats. It would have be better to have them walking, along with a human Malificient, and why not the float driver/tail mover in their nice purple dragon costumes and the original music? That just didn’t look right.

To people criticizing the new float: it’s not great, but they had to scrap this together in 24 hours and scrape something together. I can’t really blame them given the circumstances

Yea, I thought it was horrible to be honest, but I am still OK with it, its been less than 24 hours since the fire was put out and the sad melted dragon was put away. Lets see what they have in a week or so.

I do agree ... even having Malificent and some henchmen walking in the parade would be better, but they probably need to arrange casting, costumes, effects, etc, (more than we think) to get that done. Short notice stand-in .... not bad :)

I don't think it would have been that hard to put the people on stilts and the ravens? That marched in front of the Dragon and have Malificient herself. That's simple thinking, I don't think there would have been extra planning to that at all. Call me unreasonable but it looked lame and someone blew it....sorry but it's true..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter