~*~ Dream ~*~ Believe ~*~ Achieve ~*~ (Comments Welcome)

Smart to listen to your body on race day. Clearly the after effects of the pneumonia and the heat/humidity decided it was going to be a different race day. Kudos for feeling that out early on and adjusting. This race does not define you or this training cycle. Better days are ahead.

Echoing everyone else that is proud of you for finishing and even more proud of you for listening to your body and slowing down.

I don't think we get any benefits from running if we literally destroy ourselves in the process of chasing whatever goal we set. Sometimes the real victory comes from what we become through endurance.

I’m still around. My moms here so I’ve been hanging with her. I’ve had a rough recovery from race day. I can’t believe how much I have slept. No running for me this week and I pushed out my personal training to next week. I felt human enough to leave the house yesterday and brought my mom to Disney Springs. She was supposed to go to MNSSHP tonight with Eliana and me, but she backed out. She was exhausted after just 2 hours at Disney Springs and refuses to use a scooter. I don’t know why. There are so many times I wish I had a scooter.

10/08/2018 - 10/14/2018
Not much in the way of updates for this week. I had the week off from running.

Eliana and I went to MNSSHP on Thursday. I kept hearing how awfully crowded and miserable it was from Disboards & Facebook. I must have picked a good day to go because it wasn’t nearly as bad as I read about. We had such a good time, but were wiped out by 11pm. We rode lots of rides, got tons of candy, shared a Muenster Burger & fries and had a fantastic spot for the 1st parade, fireworks and Hocus Pocus show even with showing up 10 minutes before they started. Eliana isn’t into characters and pictures so this is all I have other than your standard ride photos. We weren’t into costumes this year. It was just way too hot.

8D491E13-135C-4D9A-9003-73B0DF17774F.jpeg

62E0870B-D3DE-40B3-B981-9A2830BFAA79.jpeg 3A7C6997-4BCB-4581-BDDD-14FF9A5CEDBF.jpeg

Friends of ours bought a house in Siesta Key. It’s their future retirement home and they are renting it for now. Rob and I have never been to the west coast of FL. They are still having issues with red tide so we didn’t stay at the beach too long. The smell of the water burns your eyes, nose and throat after a while. We loved Siesta Key and can’t wait to go back again!

2E6F8B85-C7C3-4C92-A1B9-40208E210899.jpeg

BFC36C48-F6DA-43CE-8BBE-CE8908A9A0AA.jpeg

Looking Ahead
I start a brand new dopeybadger plan to train for Dopey. I also have sessions booked with a personal trainer and hope to make it to BodyFlow (group class that is a combo of yoga, Pilates & tai chi).​

The pictures from MNSSHP are fantastic. Love the magic shot with the headless horseman.

Siesta Key is AMAZING. Too bad the red tide is still causing problems there. We have a friend with a condo on the beach and he's let us use it twice. The beach there is incredible.

10/15/2018 - 10/21/2018
Week one of my Dopey training plan has started. It was a nice easy week to ease back into running again. I finally finished the Harry Potter book Order of the Phoenix (I started it months and months ago!). Personal training started this week and I made it to one group class! I've been hovering at the same weight for months so I thought I'd start carb cycling and counting calories again. Day 1 was a disaster after I binged on candy from MNSSHP. Sadly, that was the theme for the week. I've decided I just can't count the calories right now. I can't. It makes me want to chuck my phone out the window into the pond behind my house. I worked on portion size and eating more frequent small meals instead and I was much happier. Even though I screwed up all week #candy, I managed to somehow drop a pound. I'll take it :thumbsup2 My mom was still here so we just hung around the house. I love my mom, but it's tiring having her here. She's like another child I have to take care of. She literally sits on the couch all day reading, watching tv and falling asleep. She doesn't want to go anywhere or do anything. She also likes to visit Dr. Internet a lot and is always convincing herself she has some new illness or malady and it's all she wants to talk about. She just turned 62 on 10/06. It's sad and I don't want to end up like that. I want to be active and be able to run around with my grandkids.
Monday
Met with a new trainer since the one I was scheduled to work with decided to quit! He ran me through a few exercises just to get an idea of my fitness level.

Running - my watch went wonky and started beeping over and over just after the first mile. When it was done beeping all my data screens and workout screen were gone and all it was showing me was MPH. I did the best I could to try and hit prescribed pace. At least it was still tracking mileage!
  • Plan: 3mi @ EA 12:25
  • Actual: 3.02mi @ 12:19
  • Splits: 12:32, 12:08, 12:18
Tuesday

Running - my legs were sore from yesterday at the gym
  • Plan: 3mi @ EB 11:36
  • Actual: 3.02mi @ 11:30
  • Splits: 11:29, 11:23, 11:39
Wednesday
Finally got my mom to leave the house to go with me to the store.

Running - legs were screaming at me.
  • Plan: 3mi @ EA 12:25
  • Actual: 3.02mi @ 12:21
  • Splits: 12:23, 12:19, 12:22
Thursday
Too. Much. Exercise. I took a looooong nap in the afternoon. I was wiped.

Running
  • Plan: 3mi @ EB 11:36 + Strides in the last mile
  • Actual: 3.02mi @ 11:12
  • Splits: 11:33, 11:35, 10:27
Group Class
  • Les Mills BodyFlow - it's yoga with pilates and tai chi thrown in. It's challenging and a lot of fun. I had forgotten a lot of the moves so I looked like an idiot for the first part of the class going right instead of left, up instead of down, off rhythm, etc. Of course, I was the last person to show up and the only spot left was at the front of the class on display for EVERYONE. I've lost A LOT of flexibility in the last four years. My hips are so painfully tight it's ridiculous. I had a hard time with hip work. One good thing though is that I rocked all the ab work. I could still do all the advanced plank moves!
Strength Training - I do a few warm up sets of each exercise and then move into working sets. My sessions will only be 30 minutes so we will concentrate mostly on compound moves since they engage more than one muscle group. My legs were absolute toast going into today. I was supposed to have another session this week, but we cancelled it.
  • Squats: 65lb 3x10
  • Deadlifts: 115lb 3x6
  • Overhead Press: 40lb 2x10, 45lb 1x8
Friday
Dropped my mom off at the airport then did some damage at the Lululemon Outlet. I really, really, really needed new workout tops and bras. I ended up with 6 tank tops, 2 sports bras and a running skirt. I went over budget, but I knew I'd kick myself for not buying it while they had my size there. It's really hit or miss to get something in your size in a good color.

Running - Oh geez were my legs tired. I was sooooo thankful for my slowest training pace today.
  • 3mi @ EA 12:25
  • 3.01mi @ 12:20
  • Splits: 12:23, 12:14, 12:22
Saturday
Weather had started cooling down and I decided to sleep in a little. Tonight was my monthly Bunco group meetup. I didn't win any money. That's me second from the left. In sweats and a top knot as usual!

44392195_10156283746678751_2644439148290637824_n.jpg

Running - legs still beat up from squats and deadlifts on Thursday.
  • Plan: 3mi @ EB 11:36 + Strides in the last mile
  • Actual: 3.02mi @ 11:22
  • Splits: 11:30, 11:35, 11:00
Sunday
Rest Day! Fall has arrived in central Florida! It was so beautiful outside. I just couldn't get enough of it!
Looking Ahead
Cooler temps are in the forecast all week!!! I have plans to go to BodyFlow and hopefully PiYo this week. I'm scheduled for personal training Monday, Wednesday & Friday. The Wine & Dine Half Marathon is coming up quickly! I have no plans for this race other than to have fun out on the course. I'm using it as a training run for Dopey. It's so nice not to be stressed out about pace and meeting a certain time. I'm looking forward to the calorie burn so I can stuff my face at brunch at California Grill! We are supposed to head back to Siesta Key this weekend with the kids and our friends. There's a little more to the story as to why, but I'm not ready to share anything yet!​

Looks like a good start to Dopey training! Yay to getting back to the gym! Bunco, fun! Looove the cool weather!

Question? I know you’ve mentioned using a camelback, have you ever used one for Disney?

Well done on your first week back on training. As you ramp up the gym training, it'll be important to balance how you're feeling during the runs. Remember it's ok to run slower if things just feel too hard. We want even splits and an effort that matches the type of pace, even if that means slower. Remember the key phrase, "Don't survive training, thrive because of it."

Question? I know you’ve mentioned using a camelback, have you ever used one for Disney?

Yup. I used one this year at princess and dark side! One thing I do is keep the tubing inside my backpack until race time. I get grossed out at the thought if it rubbing up against other people or hitting the ground. People had their bags on the ground and the part that goes in the mouth was touching the ground too :crazy2:

Great first week! Sounds like a lot of gym work going on! Can't wait to see how ripped you are at Marathon weekend! I forgot about Body Flow and luckily people have videos up on the internet with some of the classes. I might have to try to incorporate this into my routine. I feel like flexibility and running go hand in hand.

Well done on your first week back on training. As you ramp up the gym training, it'll be important to balance how you're feeling during the runs. Remember it's ok to run slower if things just feel too hard. We want even splits and an effort that matches the type of pace, even if that means slower. Remember the key phrase, "Don't survive training, thrive because of it."

I'm definitely keeping this in mind! The first two weeks with lifting like this are usually the worst for me. I had a session yesterday, added another 10 pounds to my squat and my legs don't feel anything like they did last week.

Great first week! Sounds like a lot of gym work going on! Can't wait to see how ripped you are at Marathon weekend! I forgot about Body Flow and luckily people have videos up on the internet with some of the classes. I might have to try to incorporate this into my routine. I feel like flexibility and running go hand in hand.

I'm hoping to see some flexibility improvement in my hips! I'm so bad right now I can barely sit criss cross applesauce.

I use the workout feature on my Garmin. I'm not sure what it looks like on other watches, but this is the screen that I see:

IMG_5185.HEIC.jpeg

The idea is to keep the needle in the green section. Red on the left is too slow and red on the right is too fast. The watch would always show me that I was in the green, but when I'd get a lap alert with my pace it never matched what I saw on the screen. Dumb me just realized it was giving me average pace over the entire run instead of each individual mile :sad2:. I would program the workout to be "X" miles between such and such pace. I just redid my workouts on Sunday. Now I have them set up to run 1 mile at a certain pace and to repeat that option for however many miles I need. I like this screen because it's easy to quickly glance to see if I'm at the right pace.

Good job on the body flow class. I know what you mean about flexibility. I used to be so flexible when I took Barre classes and I felt like that helped me recover from runs faster. But then the classes were so expensive so I stopped. I am now trying to incorporate some exercises back into my daily routine. I am hoping eventually Barre becomes like Spin and all gyms will offer it as opposed to special studios so it will be more reasonable priced.

10/22/18 - 10/28/18
I had an awesome week. Weather was incredible and I made some gains in the gym. We did not make it to Siesta Key. My DB plan ramped up this week with longer easy paced runs, a progression run and some speedwork.​

Monday - Start of another school and work week!

Running - What??? 60 degrees outside??? YES!!! :banana::banana::banana:
  • Plan: 4mi @ EA 12:25
  • Actual: 4.01mi @ 12:21
  • Splits: 12:21, 12:23, 12:20, 12:20
Strength Training - I forgot to write down what I did after this session. I remember some of the details.
  • Squats: 75lb
  • Bench Press: 65lb
  • Supersets: This is where you do one set of two different exercises back to back with no rest in between. 3x10 Close Grip Dumbell Bench Press 20lb + Hammer Curls 15lb
Tuesday - Figured out I had set up my workouts all wrong on my watch. I was getting average pace over the entire run instead of each individual split. I corrected it for Wed-Sat runs.

Running - I'm not a fan of spiders. I'm not afraid of them, but they are just gross. Almost ran into a huge one dangling from a tree branch :crazy2:
  • Plan: 4mi @ EB 11:36 + Strides in the last mile
  • Actual: 4.01mi @ 11:18
  • Splits: 11:36, 11:30, 11:38, 10:31
Wednesday - I had a meeting at my son's school today that I could not miss at the same time as personal training so we changed it to Thursday.

Running
- I am so damn proud of this run and hitting my prescribed paces!!! I'm still having trouble with the CD paces though. I slowed down as much as I could without discomfort. I had no clue just how long I actually stand around waiting to cross streets. It seems I hit every intersection at the wrong time today. Total moving time was 1:19:36, but elapsed time was 1:32:37!!!
  • Plan: 1mi WU @ 13:15 + 5mi Progression (11:30, 11:15, 10:45, 10:30, 10:00) + 1mi CD @ 13:15 = 7mi
  • Actual: 7.01mi @ 11:22
  • Splits: 13:02, 11:30, 11:14, 10:45, 10:30, 9:58, 12:33
Thursday - I was wide awake at 4am. Thought maybe I'd go running before Nick had to be up for school. It was raining. Bree & rain don't make for a happy pairing. It was still raining when he left for school which is when I normally run. I needed to be at the gym for a 9am class & again for 11:30 personal training. I decided to run on the treadmill in between those two sessions. I remembered my water, snacks, towel & earbuds but forgot my other shoes for lifting and my lock for the lockers to store my stuff in :sad2:

Running - I'm so behind on shows so I watched an episode of The Handmaid's Tale while I ran. I read the book 20+ years ago and it left you with a cliffhanger. It's been interesting seeing it brought to life on Hulu. Why is it when there are three rows of treadmills, and you are the only person using one that someone has to come use the one right next to you and try to carry on a conversation? Thank goodness this was towards the end of my run.
  • Plan: 4mi @ EA 12:25
  • Actual: 4.01mi @ 12:27
  • Splits: 12:27, 12:26, 12:27, 12:26
Strength Training - Squats are not easy in running shoes. I do not advise it. Due to the heel to toe drop it makes your form all wrong and it felt like I was rolling forward onto my the balls of my feet. My quads were on fire today so we kept the weight the same. I didn't track what I did and my memory sucks. I have no idea what i warmed up with for squats & deadlifts
  • Squats: 75lb 3x6
  • Deadlifts: 120lb 3x6
  • Overhead Press: 30lb 1x8, 40lb 1x8, 45lb 3x8
Group Class - BodyFlow. Got a spot in the back and didn't make a fool of myself.
Friday - I'd been meaning to go to early voting all week, but never made it. Then I had an idea :idea: The library is two miles from my house and they are an early voting location. I had 4 miles on the schedule today so this worked out perfectly!

Strength Training - My trainer is a college student and had to take his GRE for a Master's Program. He asked me if I wanted to come in over the weekend. That was a big fat no LOL! I had plans for Saturday & Sunday is complete rest day.

Running - I ran two miles, voted and ran back home. I was supposed to do strides today, but my legs were really tired and I had a hard run scheduled for Saturday.
  • Plan: 4mi @ EB 11:36 + Strides
  • Actual: 4.02mi @ 11:32
  • Splits: 11:31, 11:33, 11:32, 11:30
IMG_5264.JPG

Saturday - I ran in the morning then drove to Disney Sports over by Animal Kingdom. I had to pick up my credentials because I'm volunteering for the Wine & Dine 5K. I get to hand out medals to all the finishers! My shift is 3am - 9:30am. I'll have to leave my house around 2am which means I have to get up at 1:15am. This is why I stay on property when I run the Disney races! We also spent some afternoon at Ikea outfitting Rob's office then went out for dinner at BJ's Brewhouse. I'd never eaten there and I won't be back. It wasn't very good.
skJkCg6YRnyuJlVs7%oPpA.jpg

Running - Today was a speedwork session. I had 150m repeats mixed in with Daniels T paces. I really didn't want to run loops around the neighborhood so I planned my route on Garmin and Google Maps. I measured out 150m on a bike trail. Worked out great except for when I had to wait around for two unruly dogs and their dumb owners to get off the section where I was doing my 150m repeats.
  • Plan: 2mi WU @ 13:15 + (3 x 1mi @ T 9:35 w/ 2min RI) + (4 x 150m @ R 8:12 w/ 150m RI) + 1mi @ T 9:35 + 1mi CD @ 13:15 = 7.6563 miles
  • Actual: 8.08mi @ 11:22
  • Splits (12:49, 13:03) + (9:31, 9:32, 9:39) + ( :44, :44, :46, :44) + 9:32 + 12:16
Sunday - Rest Day! Slept in until a glorious 8am. Went to the movies and watched Venom then picked up a used air hockey table I had found on Facebook!

Looking Ahead
Wine & Dine Half Marathon weekend!​

Last edited:
So I’ll be bringing my Dopey training to Maine. We just decided yesterday to go for thanksgiving. My FIL has a type of hernia where a hole has occurred in the diaphragm and his stomach is being squished up through it and is pushing against his lungs. He will be 78yo in December and is about 100+ pounds overweight. He’s in very poor health right now and without surgery his symptoms are only going to increase in severity. He may not make it through surgery though. It’s a rough situation. He has been scheduled for surgery on 12/5. We are worried so we want to get the kids there to see him in case something happens.

As for training....it’s one of my harder weeks. I think I’ve got it all logistically worked out. I just need to figure out cold weather clothing - especially on my longer runs (9, 8 & 11 miles).

I hope the training goes well and allows a place of peace for you. Family is hard. Health is hard. Travel for either of these keeps me on edge.

Sorry to hear about your FIL. Hopefully your travel is not too stressful and it is not too chilly in Maine

They already had snow! They are up in the mountains in a town with less than 45 residents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter