~*~ Dream ~*~ Believe ~*~ Achieve ~*~ (Comments Welcome)

Well, I have a diagnosis and it's not good, but it could be much worse.

The doctor who read my report at the imaging center says I have a stress reaction of the lesser trochanter and subtrochanteric region of the femoral neck. My ortho after reviewing my films says it's a stress fracture. Fancy words for...keep running and you will break your hip. This injury is on the lower part of the femoral neck which is good because it doesn't require surgery. This did not show up on the x-rays I had on 12/31 or 2/8. I'm so glad I changed to a new doctor who really went head to head with my insurance company to get me a MRI. Screw you Cigna.

So...no running for the next six weeks. I can bike, swim, go to yoga or do pool running. I asked about strength training and he said to keep at it, but avoid lifts that cause any pain. After six weeks he will do a set of xrays to make sure there is bone growth and that I'm healing properly. He made sure to tell me three times that does not mean I can start running in six weeks. Time to increase my daily dose of calcium and vitamin d, invest in a couple good pairs of bike shorts, an AquaJogger and join the YMCA for a few months.

He looked at me and said I can't believe you ran Dopey with this injury. I told him I have a high pain tolerance :confused3

I ran five miles this morning outside for a last hurrah because I just knew I'd be sidelined for a while.

The doctor who read my report at the imaging center says I have a stress reaction of the lesser trochanter and subtrochanteric region of the femoral neck. My ortho after reviewing my films says it's a stress fracture. Fancy words for...keep running and you will break your hip. This injury is on the lower part of the femoral neck which is good because it doesn't require surgery. This did not show up on the x-rays I had on 12/31 or 2/8. I'm so glad I changed to a new doctor who really went head to head with my insurance company to get me a MRI. Screw you Cigna.

So...no running for the next six weeks. I can bike, swim, go to yoga or do pool running. I asked about strength training and he said to keep at it, but avoid lifts that cause any pain. After six weeks he will do a set of xrays to make sure there is bone growth and that I'm healing properly. He made sure to tell me three times that does not mean I can start running in six weeks. Time to increase my daily dose of calcium and vitamin d, invest in a couple good pairs of bike shorts, an AquaJogger and join the YMCA for a few months.

He looked at me and said I can't believe you ran Dopey with this injury. I told him I have a high pain tolerance :confused3

I ran five miles this morning outside for a last hurrah because I just knew I'd be sidelined for a while.

What a bummer! At least you've got a diagnosis, but I've been there and it stinks to be there. I guess it's time to find some new avenues for exercise in the next few weeks. I highly recommend TrainerRoad for biking as it is really well structured and similar to how I write run plans. You can follow along with the workouts on the bike (even at the gym), it just doesn't transfer the data from the bike to any app which is annoying. Hoping for a quick and speedy recovery!

Oh! I’m sorry! But also at least you know what’s wrong. Hopefully you are good at following doctors orders and can get better soon!

I'm glad you got an answer, but sorry to hear about the stress fracture. Hopefully in six weeks you'll be in shipshape! Enjoy swimming, biking and yoga. Are you still planning on going princess, just walking?

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear this :(. I hope your recovery goes well and you can be back to running soon!

Awwwww mannnnnn. I hate to hear this. You are a complete beast for powering through Dopey with a stress fracture! Praying for fast healing and patience during your recovery!

What a bummer! At least you've got a diagnosis, but I've been there and it stinks to be there. I guess it's time to find some new avenues for exercise in the next few weeks. I highly recommend TrainerRoad for biking as it is really well structured and similar to how I write run plans. You can follow along with the workouts on the bike (even at the gym), it just doesn't transfer the data from the bike to any app which is annoying. Hoping for a quick and speedy recovery!

I’ll take a look at it this weekend! I’ve been feeling a bit lost with what to do on the bike. Rob offered to go to a few spin classes with me too until I got comfortable with it.

Oh! I’m sorry! But also at least you know what’s wrong. Hopefully you are good at following doctors orders and can get better soon!

I promised I would be a model patient. He threatened a wheelchair and months and months of recovery in my future if I ignored him and abused my body.

I'm glad you got an answer, but sorry to hear about the stress fracture. Hopefully in six weeks you'll be in shipshape! Enjoy swimming, biking and yoga. Are you still planning on going princess, just walking?

I will be skipping Princess. I still might have to go to the expo which makes me sad. I had preordered some FluffyFizzies bath bombs for expo pick up.

Oh man, I'm so sorry to hear this :(. I hope your recovery goes well and you can be back to running soon!

Thanks! It’s going to be a long six weeks, but there’s some fun projects going on at home to keep me occupied.

Awwwww mannnnnn. I hate to hear this. You are a complete beast for powering through Dopey with a stress fracture! Praying for fast healing and patience during your recovery!

I have my good days and bad days, but the pain is never overwhelming. I don’t know how I got through Dopey either. I felt better on Monday after the marathon than I do today.

Oh no... Bree, I am so sorry! What a bummer. Glad you finally got an answer though, so now you can create a plan to get better! I hope that you heal quickly!

That's a bummer Bree, but it sounds like you have some good cross training options. After my tibial stress reactions, doctors have told me to keep up with the calcium & vitamin D supplements as well. I don't know if it's helping, but I guess it's good for us women in our 40's. :flower:

Glad you are able to do some exercise and not be completely stagnant! So glad you were able to get your MRI and find out what was going on.

Sorry you are having to skip princess.

I hate this for you, but am so glad you and your doctor pushed to get that MRI. Cigna :mad:

Sounds like you are already planning for maintaining your fitness through the healing process and I'm with others that you are a BEAST for getting through Dopey with that injury.

So sorry to hear this! I’m just glad you have options available for staying fit and don’t just have to shut everything down for the 6 weeks! Do you have a good greenway or light trail system nearby so you can bike safely outdoors? I find getting out in the fresh air as beneficial as the activity itself. And good bike shorts are a lifesaver! Good luck with your rehab!

Hate to hear your running will be sidelined for a while, but glad you have other exercise options in the meantime! I just wanted to let you know that your journal and @ZellyB helped me decide to reach out to @DopeyBadger for a training plan. It has been the best thing for me, by the way. I am flying in to run The Best Damn 10k (along with a Disney fix) and was hoping to say hi! Guess it will have to wait until the next Hurricane Hannah’s meet up! Many prayers for a speedy recovery!

Sorry to hear you can't run for a while. Can you still bike? Maybe even throw in some swimming for aerobic conditioning too?

I’m so sorry your belated birthday present was a confirmation of a stress fracture! I had three (at once!) in my right foot a few years ago, and it’s when I fell in love with spin biking. I don’t know if you have any close to you, but Flywheel classes are absolutely amazing!

I have been feeling sorry for myself and wondering what I did wrong to earn this stress fracture. But....I have a plan.

I’ve been researching pool running and found a 9 week program by Pete Pfitzinger. I now have an AquaJogger and tether on the way to my house. I have a pool at home and a heater to warm it up.

I will be back at the gym next week, but per doctor’s orders I’m to lighten up on the weight for my lower body, increase reps and do not do any exercises that cause any discomfort (bye bye for now deadlifts). I’ve put working with my personal trainer on hold and will be doing a modified Jamie Eason LiveFit routine to accommodate my hip.

I’m really watching what I’m eating since I’m pretty much sedentary this week. I have been resting and doing as little as possible. It has paid off. This morning I was walking for a little while limp free and the stairs didn’t bother me so much. It’s a small accomplishment, but I’m giddy!

I have been resting and doing as little as possible. It has paid off. This morning I was walking for a little while limp free and the stairs didn’t bother me so much. It’s a small accomplishment, but I’m giddy!
This makes me so happy :) I hope you continue to feel better!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter