Dreams Unlimited Travel Podcast | Staying at Fort Wilderness in a Camper | 05/07/18

WebmasterJackie

Senior Editor for The DIS & DCL Fan
Staff member
Administrator
In this episode, Tracey discusses her experience renting a camper and taking it to Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort at Walt Disney World!

I did watch this from beginning to end.
Was this podcast intended to interest people in Fort Wilderness? If so, i'd say it certainly did not meet that goal.
Take it for what it's worth, a review of camping at FW, from non-campers, who really only did it so they could bring their dog.
I disagree with the conclusion that you need a car and golf cart. It was incorrectly stated that there are places you could only get to with a cart or car. There was a teeny bit of discussion about all that Fort Wilderness has to offer, and tons of informtion about the rental experience (through a company that shall not be named - but we all know who). No mention whatsoever of the other resources for getting groceries and other extras delivered directly to your site.
But perhaps the Dreams Unlimted podcast will encourage people to book the higher cost accommodations at WDW, leaving more sites at FW for the rest of us.
But FWIW, that is only my opinion.

Yeah the podcast team has done FW reviews in the past (cabins, Class C rv stays) and since they're not really outdoorsy people for the most part, they don't come across as knowledgeable or able to communicate pro's and con's very well. It was almost painful to watch.

It kinda serves us well though since they aren't Yuge FW fans. It's already hard enough to get a site as it is.

Love the podcast in general and this one was put on by Dreams Unlimited specifically to inform guests and drum up interest in this resort perhaps. But I concur with sippican - in that respect it missed the mark.

Bama Ed

Well I made it 3 minutes 52 seconds in and could not stomach any more, so hopefully as everyone else has mentioned it will keep people away in droves ( don't think so but wishful thinking). My hat is off to everyone who can watch the entire thing because I could not imagine it getting any better.

I’m so confused; why did they make this podcast, the introduction seems like they were dreading the trip and don’t get camping at FW? aye yai yai haha

It was almost painful to watch.

Almost?

I lasted slightly longer than Corgidad did.

I do like how they "don't name the cart rental company", but then they put up this pic plain as day showing the tag on the back of the trailer.
Ever heard of blurring those things before posting?

Anyway, at least they acknowledged that FW exists, though each of them did it in a "God, I hate camping" fashion that just really caused you to immediately realize that none of them enjoyed the video.

@WebmasterJackie , thanks for putting this on the camping board though. I'm not ungrateful towards you, at least you thought of us. It's just...I don't think they could of possibly made it seem any more painful.

Well, at least it might help us get some sites opened up!

I watched the whole thing. I love Tracey but yeah-camping is really not her thing LOL. I do think she was trying to be fair nearer the end when she said this is her perspective and she is not a camping fan.
I was really hoping for more as to what FW offers. Our first time there (in cabins) is coming up soon. My kids are the most excited they've been since our Beach Club stay-showed them the pictures, and stuff to do, and they cannot wait.

The only thing that concerns me - and it would have been nice to have been addressed more in podcast-is how to get around and bus system-never having been there it looks more complicated than DC Metro system! Took me almost the entire week we were in DC to figure it out (my oldest DD had it figured out by 2nd day-thank goodness LOL)

I watched the whole thing. I love Tracey but yeah-camping is really not her thing LOL. I do think she was trying to be fair nearer the end when she said this is her perspective and she is not a camping fan.
I was really hoping for more as to what FW offers. Our first time there (in cabins) is coming up soon. My kids are the most excited they've been since our Beach Club stay-showed them the pictures, and stuff to do, and they cannot wait.

The only thing that concerns me - and it would have been nice to have been addressed more in podcast-is how to get around and bus system-never having been there it looks more complicated than DC Metro system! Took me almost the entire week we were in DC to figure it out (my oldest DD had it figured out by 2nd day-thank goodness LOL)

Our very first trips to WDW were in the cabins with our children. You will have a blast.
Don't worry abouit the bus system at all. The internal buses get you to the Outpost or Marina, from there you boat, or take a bus to wherever you want to go. Buses are clearly labeled and the drivers very helpful. It is really very, very easy.
Keep in mind a little tip - the boats are primarily used to get to the MK, but it is a fun alternative to take the resort boat over to the Contemporary and use the monorail to the TTC and Epcot (or walk over to the MK even earlier for rope drop).

Our very first trips to WDW were in the cabins with our children. You will have a blast.
Don't worry abouit the bus system at all. The internal buses get you to the Outpost or Marina, from there you boat, or take a bus to wherever you want to go. Buses are clearly labeled and the drivers very helpful. It is really very, very easy.
Keep in mind a little tip - the boats are primarily used to get to the MK, but it is a fun alternative to take the resort boat over to the Contemporary and use the monorail to the TTC and Epcot (or walk over to the MK even earlier for rope drop).
Thank you for that tip! We will also have our car, was hoping we would just need to use it to get to AK (I swear I have the worst luck with buses at AK no matter where we stay)
Planning on bringing stuff for smores as we are bringing cooler anyway. Are the smore sticks they sell reusable? Seem pretty cheap to buy multiple anyway...

So after 8 minutes, I have learned there is a campground. I learned that getting a cart is more of a project than it needs to be, and for something you basically only use twice a day. Unless of course you are just staying in the campground driving the golf cart all over. A golf cart to drive to the marina to catch a boat spend the day at MK and then drive back to the campsite at the end of the day, seems like a big expense.

Could they review an Opera Musical next ?? Something else they may not enjoy doing.

Could have been a real positive report on the Fort, by campers, that enjoy camping. But wow, after 8 minutes had to stop, could not take anymore.

So after 8 minutes, I have learned there is a campground. I learned that getting a cart is more of a project than it needs to be, and for something you basically only use twice a day. Unless of course you are just staying in the campground driving the golf cart all over. A golf cart to drive to the marina to catch a boat spend the day at MK and then drive back to the campsite at the end of the day, seems like a big expense.

Could they review an Opera Musical next ?? Something else they may not enjoy doing.

Could have been a real positive report on the Fort, by campers, that enjoy camping. But wow, after 8 minutes had to stop, could not take anymore.

Yep, more sites for us gonna be opening up real soon...

8 minutes, huh? What's your secret? Yoga?

Yep, more sites for us gonna be opening up real soon...

8 minutes, huh? What's your secret? Yoga?

It had been a long day, 2 hrs of driving in rain and fog, visit with MIL. Visit with my parents, then the return trip of 2 hrs thru rain and fog. I was a bit tired, I kept hoping that it would pick up, get interesting, but alas, it was not to be.

I listened to the whole thing... we stayed at the Cabins in 2014 (pre-renovations) and LOVED the resort. We didn't have a golf cart or a car and did just fine (we were the first loop from the buses and just walked over there or took the internal bus to the boats). Kids were 6 & 9 and my 65-year-old mother was with us (don't let her fool you, she still hikes high peaks in the Adirondacks, so a little Disney walking was fine). The whole thing made me twitch - renting a camper to stay there is something definitely on my bucket list for the experience (definitely not to save $$) but if I had told DH that we had to do all of that for a golf cart? OH HECK NO!

Definitely not going to drum up guests for FWC, that's for sure.

I listened to the whole thing... we stayed at the Cabins in 2014 (pre-renovations) and LOVED the resort. We didn't have a golf cart or a car and did just fine (we were the first loop from the buses and just walked over there or took the internal bus to the boats). Kids were 6 & 9 and my 65-year-old mother was with us (don't let her fool you, she still hikes high peaks in the Adirondacks, so a little Disney walking was fine). The whole thing made me twitch - renting a camper to stay there is something definitely on my bucket list for the experience (definitely not to save $$) but if I had told DH that we had to do all of that for a golf cart? OH HECK NO!

Definitely not going to drum up guests for FWC, that's for sure.

Yep, you are right. Not that bad, even if you don't have a cart. Videos like this make the resort seem near impossible to some.

Now, in regards to the cart pick up and drop off. It is honestly not that bad. I've done it three times, and I think the longest it ever took me from the time I left my site to the time I parked my truck back at my site with the cart at the site as well was about an hour. So, in total, you spend about 2 hours if you count the picking up and dropping off. If you are there for a week, that's a savings of about $35 a day...so yeah, 2 hours to save $250 is more than acceptable. They just portray it to be a chore that it actually is not. Don't let your husband be too dismayed by this based off how they put it. If you have kids that $250 will get you breakfast or dinner along with the picture package at Cinderella's Castle. Dinner at HDR as well. 3 meals at Trail's End...

Dang! I'm making myself miserable thinking about food...

In full disclosure I haven't watched this video yet. I did watch their last one on the Ft W. Cabins and while not one I would refer someone to they did at the very least Admit that :
A The person staying there was only doing so to have a reference for her client's that want to stay there
B Over all her experience and impression was better than her expectations.but still not her cup of tea.

I would like to point out that the producers of this video DREAMS UNLIMITED TRAVEL is in fact a Travel Agency. They get PAID commission based on what they BOOK. So if they can steer a client to more to more expensive accommodations so much the better for them

I found the video somewhat refreshing for those that are not campers. We know that our investment in our rigs is secondary to the enjoyment we get from our camping adventure(s), especially at the Fort.

I also watched the whole thing & if never been to The Fort camping - this would discourage me from camping. We have done the golf Cart exchange couple of times & no big deal. We always stay at lease 2 wks. the $35.00 per day for 10 days, the rest of the stay we pay $10.00 - gave me more shopping monies. Agreed not enough said on what the Fort has to do daily -basically never going to the Parks daily you have enough fun things to do all day.

Sorry, not watching, I'll just read your reviews. (Thanks for taking one for the team those who did)
As a side note, TAs don't get commission on campsites, only cabins, so yeah, they would much rather see you stay somewhere they get commission (they still get % of the theme park tickets)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!