Dreams Unlimited Travel Podcast | Viking Sky | 07/30/18

So glad we got to go on this cruise - was so much fun being with so many other DISers! And the ports were all amazing (was fortunate to be part of a group that found a great winery and restaurant in Crotone, so even that port) and the ship was, as Pete said, First Class

The ship sounded about as close to flawless as it gets!!

Pretty much. The only area I would say it was lacking in was evening entertainment - very just lounge singers and stuff like that. That is one area that Disney Cruise Line beats them hands down. Also, one of the specialty restaurants was a bit underwhelming ... but that all is nitpicking - it really was a wonderful ship!

Thank you for mentioning food allergy issues! Traveling abroad can be a dietary crapshoot as it is. The Viking website sounds promising but the real world experience that the group encountered made the Viking cruises a pass for me for now (well, until there is a cure for celiac disease!). Thank you, it sounded like an amazing trip otherwise!

The biggest issue with the Sky: lack of food after 9p. they should do an evening spread in world cafe, explorer's etc. If not there, the tea room- as I felt that was wasted space unless you went to afternoon tea @ 1500-1700 (it was empty other times). Otherwise I thought the ship was great.

Watched this video last night. Ship was gorgeous, but very "homey" and comfortable feeling. I would not be intimidated to sail. I don't like the "Ikea/Swedish" aesthetic - too sterile and modern for me, but this was a much more comfortable-looking version of that, although I could see it. The food looked (and sounded) INCREDIBLE, except for the Chef's Table. Great job, all! Can't wait to see Part II!

he Viking website sounds promising but the real world experience that the group encountered made the Viking cruises a pass for me for now
Not trying to minimize the concern about this but I believe this is something they just didn't have a lot of experience with before. Hopefully before the next Viking Ocean cruise we all go on that they will have implemented better processes for those with food allergies

this was a much more comfortable-looking version
Yes, it really was very nice. Some might think it austere, but others are thankful that its not gaudy.

The biggest issue with the Sky: lack of food after 9p.
Good point Will. Val & I aren't often up (or hungry) after 9 but I would be good to have food available for those evening gatherings in the lounges. Especially when traveling with a large croup of friends.

The ship sounded about as close to flawless as it gets!!
Having cruised on several lines (DCL, RCL, NCL, Princess and <ug> Carnival) I'd agree that there was very little to fault the ship on. We've also sailed on Viking's river cruises and found the service and amenities to be very, very good. In fact, our experience on the river cruises was what made us consider the Viking Ocean cruise. We're so glad we did. Will be sailing again on Viking!

I just heard the show and it definitely makes me want to give it a try for a future cruise. The pricing sounds quite reasonable for what you get. And we're at that point in our lives where a calmer environment in the evening is more to our liking. We don't need the hustle and bustle, nightclub atmosphere found on other lines. A nice comfortable bar with soft music and good drinks is much more appealing. On Oasis, we spent almost every night in the Champagne Bar just hanging out and talking with everyone.

Having cruised on several lines (DCL, RCL, NCL, Princess and <ug> Carnival) I'd agree that there was very little to fault the ship on. We've also sailed on Viking's river cruises and found the service and amenities to be very, very good. In fact, our experience on the river cruises was what made us consider the Viking Ocean cruise. We're so glad we did. Will be sailing again on Viking!

well said.

Good point Will. Val & I aren't often up (or hungry) after 9 but I would be good to have food available for those evening gatherings in the lounges. Especially when traveling with a large croup of friends.

i think our group is not their typical clientele. we were up every night till 12-1 in explorers.

i think our group is not their typical clientele. we were up every night till 12-1 in explorers.
That's probably a good point, but 9 is still pretty early to end food service. My wife and I are not late night people but on a cruise, I'd still expect to be able to get a little snack after 9, especially depending on what time dinner was. If we ate at 6, I wouldn't want to go until breakfast the next day without food.

ag
That's probably a good point, but 9 is still pretty early to end food service. My wife and I are not late night people but on a cruise, I'd still expect to be able to get a little snack after 9, especially depending on what time dinner was. If we ate at 6, I wouldn't want to go until breakfast the next day without food.
agree. it doesn't have to be amazing. maybe some sliced meats, a salad bar and a desert and ice cream/gelato bar. could be very simple and this isn't re-inventing the wheel.

ag

agree. it doesn't have to be amazing. maybe some sliced meats, a salad bar and a desert and ice cream/gelato bar. could be very simple and this isn't re-inventing the wheel.
I think on every cruise I've been on, there was pizza available late night. On Oasis, while we were hanging at the Champagne Bar, I usually walked across to the pizza place and brought some back for us to munch on. I also found it odd that none of the bars had any food available on Oasis. We probably would have stayed longer and bought more drinks if they had.

Last edited:
The biggest issue with the Sky: lack of food after 9p.

That issue is not just limited to Viking, but NCL as well (Epic ship). We are sailing on Epic this fall/winter and I do know there is a pub that is open 24 hrs., but that type of food is very limited and is the only offering I'm aware of (except $ for room service). Their dinner dining ends, I believe, about 9:30 PM.

Celebrity (Silhouette) had their "buffet" open 24 hours, so if you wanted a delicious late night snack it was a non-issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter